All times are UTC

Post subject: Unlike sewer
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2003 3:09 pm 

Location: Second row from the expensive puddle, under ten others
To parapharse Tom Lehrer... unlike life which is like a sewer, what I get out of my computer is not what I put into it...

I record my ES-1 into Live through a Behringer Mixer and an EMI 2/6. There is a clear difference between the level and clarity of what's coming out of the ES-1 directly, and what is coming out of Live after I've recorded something. This isn't really acceptable to me, as I'm using Live to loop things live. All faders etc. are set flat... is this something in Live?

-Paws

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2003 7:13 pm 
in the preferences you can adjust the recording resolution (41khz, 48khz, etc)

also there is an option that says something like "use high quality samples" which can be turned on or off

try different warp settings for your loops, the beat setting sometimes makes my melodic samples sound choppy..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2003 4:04 pm 
check your busses and faders in live--make sure everything is set flat to 0.0 dB. definitely try the 24 bit 48 thang, and turning on high quality in the preferences menu. try bypassing the behringer mixer. is the emi thing usb?--by all acounts usb audio is not as good as firewire or pcmcia. what are the things your hearing that are different--are there certainly frequency ranges that are not as defined, or distortion, what does it sound like? does recording the same stuff into another software program produce results better than Live??? If you don't have another app., maybe download a demo of something like Peak (mac) or Acid (pc) and see if recording the same thing into it sounds better than into Live--this way you could at least start to isolate and find the problem--mixer?, emi?, software?!? I've used a number of software programs, and the quality of sound in Live with everything set properly is as good as any to my ears, and the interface blows the pants off all the "competition".

ryan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2003 7:12 pm 

Location: Second row from the expensive puddle, under ten others
I think I've isolated it to being my mixer (Behringer = pony) - or the EMI has some sort of fixed -3 dB pad on the inputs or something. It's not the end of the world, it's just not what I was hoping for - I prefer the gear to work my way, rather than other way around. In most situations anyway.

Just did a rather cool 10 minute tonescape using Live and my new guitar - essentially five or six notes, played a few more or less random patterns to a click track and turned them into 20 or 30 haphazard loops and then triggered them at random over four tracks to create a 'minimalist' effect. Sort of instant Terry Riley. 'twas very nice. I'll post a link if I find somewhere to put the 10 Mb MP3...

-Paws