education Berklee Ableton course

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
DrDJ

education Berklee Ableton course

Post by DrDJ » Fri Jul 28, 2006 4:04 pm

Do anyone wants to share with me his or her experience with the Ableton online course Berklee music offers? Please i need this information to decide to enroll or not???

Txs,
DrDJ (aka Marion)

blue-rinse

Post by blue-rinse » Fri Jul 28, 2006 5:16 pm

I just recently finished taking it. I think it depends on how much you already know the program. If you are going for one of those certificates thay have then it's cool. Some of the stuff can be kind of "boring" at first if you already know the program. I've had it for a few years so a lot of the stuff I already knew. I did learn some good things though. The nice thing about the setup at berklee, since it's 12 weeks and compact, it really forces you to learn fast. This course is great for a begginer, for an advanced user though not so great. To be honest I didn't even think the prof. even knew that much about the program. I'm sure he knows a load about "recording" or "production" but I question how much he even uses Live. I could have taught this class! I answered some questions for others that he couldn't haha. I'm not sure if there are other Live teachers there but my guy was definately not a "super expert" that could really teach the advanced tricks for djing etc. There are surely guys on this forum who are more advanced on it. Granted Live is arelatively new program so there aren't a load of "super experts" out there like there would be for Logic, Cubase, PT etc. It is mainly a survey course there should be a more advanced one as well. But I love the Berklee setup, it's expensive but there are a bunch of other classes I'd love to take there. I'm def. not trying to discourage you maybe it will work well for you, just don't expect any advanced programming. I'm glad i took it though. Reply again or send me a pm if you wanna know more in detail about the course.

blue-rinse

Post by blue-rinse » Fri Jul 28, 2006 5:24 pm

BTW the website is really amazing maybe the best I've seen from any school! When you are enrolled you have your own "page" and everythind stays there long after the course is over. Another thing, don't expect to learn anything specific about different dance genres as it states for house, techno, drum n bass etc. I was hoping they would go in depth on different strong structures and patterns for these styles. All general here.

DrDJ

Post by DrDJ » Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:12 pm

Txs! I am a real novice! So maybe it will be ok for me. I want to go into djing with Live not as a profi though. In real live i am a ob/gyn doc.
Marion

rbro

Post by rbro » Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:14 pm

DrDJ wrote:Txs! I am a real novice! So maybe it will be ok for me. I want to go into djing with Live not as a profi though. In real live i am a ob/gyn doc.
Marion
:D There's gotta be a joke in here somewhere.....

DrDJ

Post by DrDJ » Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:38 pm

No joke!

rbro

Post by rbro » Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:43 pm

DrDJ wrote:No joke!
No, I believe you...it's just...."Did you hear the one about the OB/GYN who also DJ'd with live?" Fill in snarky punchline here......

DrDJ

Post by DrDJ » Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:17 pm

:D
I get back on that! I worked all night delivering babies :P so give me some time to reply.

stinky

Post by stinky » Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:28 pm

Have you tried AskVideo, or the Digital Doctor? Those should be more suited for you. Courses are lame, and they hardly ever teach you anything extraordinary that you can't get from reading the manual, and perhaps getting the Power books. These dvd courses are pretty good though. I got them for a friend, and they were up and running in no time. Not only are they cheaper, but you can go through them as many times as you want.

DrDJ

Post by DrDJ » Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:45 pm

Thanks I really consider that too.

blue-rinse

Post by blue-rinse » Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:09 pm

I don't think courses are lame. If you're a novice this would be absolutely perfect! Yeah you can always purchase a cheap book or dvd. But does that mean you're gonna sit your ass down and go through it? Buying something is one thing, actually using it is another entirely. If the money isn't too much of an issue Doc, then I think this Berklee music class would do well for you. You are forced to learn the shit!!!

stinky

Post by stinky » Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:12 pm

alright, if you need a nanny to pat your behind, that's great, but a very large waste of money. So, you're saying that the only reason to actually go to the courses is so that you don't lose the large amount of $$ that you put in, that's why you're forced to go? That kind of thinking, in and of itself, is lame as shit.

blue-rinse

Post by blue-rinse » Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:48 pm

alright stinky. first of all this is an online course no physical attendance needed. i've actually taken the course (have you?) and that was the point of the thread, to get feedback from someone who has. the berklee website is outstanding and you caaaan.........go through the lessons as many times as you want when the course is over if need be. i don't know why you're getting all argumentative here. this isn't an argument nor is it a comparison. you've already made your point anyway and if one has the money then who cares?

blue-rinse

Post by blue-rinse » Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:57 pm

and on a second note dvd's and books are great too. not saying one method is any better than the other.

stinky

Post by stinky » Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:47 pm

and on a second note dvd's and books are great too. not saying one method is any better than the other.
wasn't getting argumentative, just think that wasting the money when you have other options on an excuse is stupid. If you want to do it because it offers something that you wouldn't get otherwise, then that would be the point, but it doesn't seem like there's much that berkelee offers that cheaper alternatives don't. That's my point. No argument there.