All times are UTC

Post subject: Highest Quality Rendered Audio
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2003 7:20 pm 

Hi,

I'm a new user of Delta Live and I'm running version 1.5.3. I've recorded some live audio using Live and captured at 24bits 48kHz using an M-Audio Duo.

I'd like to render at the highest quality level I can, but the final bitrate needs to be 16 bit at 48kHz (the limits of Adobe Premiere). I have 2 questions:

1) My source clips are recorded and I can't redo the source. I'd like to increase the gain in Live, but I'm worried about the quality impact of doing this. If i raise the gain, do I increase the noise level in rendering?

2) Am I better off capturing at 16 bits/48khz in the future when I need to render at 16/48, or is it better to capture the sound at the highest bitrate possible? The audio track will wind up on a DVD.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2003 8:03 pm 

I always allow for as much headroom as possible when it comes to wordlentgh.

In other words, raising gain on 24bit tracks and then going back to 16bit may have less impact (i.e. truncated bits) depending on the calculations used by your audio tool. Staying inside the 16bit domain throughout the process with any operation that alters your source definitely chops off things from your source. Best you'd be off with 32bit (float).

BTW:
1) LIVE 2 made a great leap forward in terms of sound quality compared to 1.5. In any case worth money for an update!
2) You should avoid doing any changes to your soundtrack once it is imported to Premiere. Up to version 6.5 Premiere is notorious for its really bad and crispy impact on sound quality. Don't you even touch the mixer! From Premiere Pro on everything should be fine since it will be using CoolEdit.
2a) When doing the processing for DVD outside Premiere anyway, maybe you shpouldn't even let it look at your soundtrack in the first place ;)

intel T2500 2GHz
200GB RAID-0
RME FF400

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2003 8:21 pm 

I'm using Premiere 6.5. Delta Live 1.5.3 came bundled with my M-Audio Duo. The upgrade is $200 to Delta Live 2.x as I understand it, and my budget can't quite afford the hit.

How would I keep my DVD encoder from looking at my Premiere soundtrack? It would be pretty hard to edit sound linked to video without putting the tracks in Premiere.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 1:38 pm 

M-Audio_Duo-user wrote:
How would I keep my DVD encoder from looking at my Premiere soundtrack? It would be pretty hard to edit sound linked to video without putting the tracks in Premiere.

Agreed. I'd use Magix Samplitude for synchronizing and adjusting audio with video, wich is just superiour compared to anything else when it comes to audio engineering.

Also Video Deluxe from Magix is very good at this, since its audio engine derives from the one Samplitude uses. And it comes in a cheapo flavour too. At least for bringing audio and video together before going on to DVD encoding could be an advantage. BTW, depending on what you need with your video editing, Video Deluxe has at least some reputation as semi professional video editing tool on its own.

intel T2500 2GHz
200GB RAID-0
RME FF400