Live 7

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
sweetjesus

Live 7

Post by sweetjesus » Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:58 pm

Live 6 is rocking my world and has more than enough tools for me to make music. But let's say I'm greedy and I already know what I'd like to see in Live 7 so I can make music in the most comfortable way possible.

Here's what I would love to see in Live 7 to consider Live a totally well rounded application.

* Detachable panels which can be configued to show arrangement & session one on each screen. .. multiple waveforms.. . etc..

* Bezier curve automation

* Script clips (programmin Live .. YUM)

* support for Battery kits

* automatic transient detection and slicing capabilities

* slightly more refined piano roll

* recording direct to the sampler

* overdubbing of clips or the ability to play more than one clip from a track which would then lead to...

* clip x fades on the arrange view

* some kind of groove manipulation tool for midi (ala groove quantize type scenario)

* for Live to send info about clip names in slots to midi controllers so I no longer need a computer screen

* better manipulatio of clip play position

* multiple automation parameters for a track in the arrange view

* ability to record automation into clips in the session view

* last kinks of the arrange slowness to be ironed out

quandry

Re: Live 7

Post by quandry » Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:10 pm

sweetjesus wrote: * Bezier curve automation

absolutely crucial--I'm really surprised they didn't do multiple automation parameters in arrange and record clip automation in session view--these are really needed. I would add to this:

* put the preset names back on devices like on Live 1-4, c'mon, it's called "live", not "waste time on stage looking through your browser"

* create "midi presets" for devices--user definable midi mapping presets that can be instantly recalled so that you don't have to remap everything all the time.

my two cents...
Dell Studio XPS 8100 Windows 7 64-bit, 10 GB RAM. RME Multiface, Avalon U5 & M5, Distressor, Filter Factory, UC33e, BCR-2000, FCB1010, K-Station, Hr 824 & H120 sub, EZ Bus, V-Drums, DrumKat EZ, basses, guitars, pedals... http://www.ryan-hughes.net

Poster

Post by Poster » Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:16 pm

sweetjesus wrote:* Script clips (programmin Live .. YUM)
this would be the next revolution..

and you forgot lfo modulation for all thinkable parameters..
but if you can script; who needs a lfo? hehehe
Last edited by Poster on Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

glu

Post by glu » Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:16 pm

quandry wrote:
sweetjesus wrote: * Bezier curve automation

absolutely crucial--I'm really surprised they didn't do multiple automation parameters in arrange and record clip automation in session view--these are really needed. I would add to this:

* put the preset names back on devices like on Live 1-4, c'mon, it's called "live", not "waste time on stage looking through your browser"

* create "midi presets" for devices--user definable midi mapping presets that can be instantly recalled so that you don't have to remap everything all the time.

my two cents...
+1

recording CCs into session clips should be the next change they do, period.
no prevailing genre of music:
http://alonetone.com/glu

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:18 pm

Poster wrote:

exactly.

ableton have so much to gain by building tools which let us build our own tools.

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:43 pm

HAHAH! Right about time! ..its important to plan the future! ;-)

Heres some coments:

* Bezier curve automation

agree!

* Script clips (programmin Live .. YUM)

agree!

* support for Battery kits

All standard sample formats should be suported!

* automatic transient detection and slicing capabilities

agree! atleast slicing..

more then that: fullscreen view, and right click gives tools menu. Its silly that you have to click on an icon on the top of the screen, just to change tools! Especialy when you edit so much youd like to have one tool in each hand!

* recording direct to the sampler

cool, but not realy important. Just record a clip, and drag and drop. Clips are also nice audio editors for raw recorded material. Though they should be destructive as an option, so you could cut away unwanted air, etc. that would take up disk space or ram.

* overdubbing of clips or the ability to play more than one clip from a track which would then lead to...

hmm...overdubing is ok, but cant see the need for playing multiple clips in one track. Havent thought much about it though.

Jeah, maybe. Havent thought about that need..! Gues im a bit oldscool; fade out clip one, fade in clip two. Cant you just put bouth clips on same arranger track, or is it like cubase, where you cant overlap clips in a track? Im not so into the arranger yet, for various reasons :-D

* some kind of groove manipulation tool for midi (ala groove quantize type scenario)

Jup.

* for Live to send info about clip names in slots to midi controllers so I no longer need a computer screen

Agree! (if possible)

* better manipulation of clip play position

Agree!

hmm, cant you do that already? in that case, agree!

agree!

* last kinks of the arrange slowness to be ironed out

agree!

And just a quicker/better arrange editor, thats it! (just copy tracktions ;-) )

Poster

Post by Poster » Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:46 pm

sweetjesus wrote:
Poster wrote:

exactly.

ableton have so much to gain by building tools which let us build our own tools.
oooh man..
imagine 'if-then-able' clip scripting?

if Beat Repeat repeats 2 times;
then record and hold repeat buffer for 1 bar;
if incoming signal has a frequency higher than 1000 Hrz;
then release buffer, quantized at 1/16T with max lenght of a half bar;
if incoming signal has a frequency lower as 1000 Hrz;
then..
then..
then..

if only

--
keep the dream alive!
scripting would be so damn sweet..

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:54 pm

Poster wrote:

Agree! :D

And ofcourse: splitting up session and arranger to two windows/screens! Great for studio work!

Suport for two mouse anyone? :D Two-player/cooperative!

DeadlyKungFu

Post by DeadlyKungFu » Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:04 am

It already supports two mice, I've worked like that before, one wireless keyboard and mouse, another set attached. Great way to work with someone else.

Scripts would be cool, I've also thought something like a GoSub/Return command would be cool. But it all seems so non-musical, too left brain for music.
Last edited by DeadlyKungFu on Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Poster

Post by Poster » Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:12 am

loads of wishes ofcourse..

but what would really be a clever move for the future is to implement more utility/auxiliary like devices to facilitate the current devices and focus on Rack modularity..

see it like this;

the Racks now make it possible to host (mainly) big building blocks (instruments and effects), in a (semi) modular way..

but what would expand the modularity is smaller building blocks that make it possible for the big building blocks to interact more and therefore creating wider range of possibilities..

Think; inverters/ splitters/ mergers/ routers/ multipliers/ distributers/ filters/ etc. both for audio and midi..
Without getting too Nord Modular or Reaktor, ofcourse..

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:20 am

DeadlyKungFu wrote:It already supports two mice, I've worked like that before, one wireless keybaord and mouse, another set attached. Great way to work with someone else.
No, what I meen would require some programing: Being able to use two mouse at the same time. One mouse in each hand? :-) Todays OSes is one finger play only! (mouse cursor) Had this thought for many years, still not happening.. I guess it requires OS programing... Musicaly speaking: polyphony! Were still at mono cursor!

It would change a lot of software editing ways. Two people could edit on the same computer at the same time, or you could have one mouse in each hand.

Imagine what you could do in real life with two hands better then with one. Well, you have the qwerty keyboard and controlers, but you cant "touch" everything with it instantly, without pre-programing hotkeys etc.

Its something I would expect on Linux rather then Win/Mac though...

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:22 am

ze2be wrote:
DeadlyKungFu wrote:It already supports two mice, I've worked like that before, one wireless keybaord and mouse, another set attached. Great way to work with someone else.
No, what I meen would require some programing: Being able to use two mouse at the same time. One mouse in each hand? :-) Todays OSes is one finger play only! (mouse cursor) Had this thought for many years, still not happening.. I guess it requires OS programing... Musicaly speaking: polyphony! Were still at mono cursor!

It would change a lot of software editing ways. Two people could edit on the same computer at the same time, or you could have one mouse in each hand.

Imagine what you could do in real life with two hands better then with one. Well, you have the qwerty keyboard and controlers, but you cant "touch" everything with it instantly, without pre-programing hotkeys etc.

Its something I would expect on Linux rather then Win/Mac though...
http://cpnmouse.sourceforge.net/

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:24 am

Poster wrote: Think; inverters/ splitters/ mergers/ routers/ multipliers/ distributers/ filters/ etc. both for audio and midi..

100%agree. Also with your last sentance. Ableton should focus on being live friendly firts and formost. (and I think they do)

Poster

Post by Poster » Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:35 am

ze2be wrote:
Poster wrote: Think; inverters/ splitters/ mergers/ routers/ multipliers/ distributers/ filters/ etc. both for audio and midi..

100%agree. Also with your last sentance. Ableton should focus on being live friendly firts and formost. (and I think they do)
exactly..
if Ablton is on the job you can expect user focus..
so if they could come up with utilities that don't look like
mathematical-laboratory-nasa-like inverters/ splitters/ mergers/ routers/ multipliers/ distributers/ filters/
it could still fit Live's philosophy..

forge

Post by forge » Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:32 am

ze2be wrote: * recording direct to the sampler

cool, but not realy important. Just record a clip, and drag and drop. Clips are also nice audio editors for raw recorded material. Though they should be destructive as an option, so you could cut away unwanted air, etc. that would take up disk space or ram.
no I think he should have worded it "input for sampler" - recording as a secondary option - if you could allow an input into sampler then you could use all it's tools and resynthesis on any audio clip in live! In the other thread I mentioned how I've wanted for a long time to have an LFO plug-in, a simple ADSR plugin and recently an FM/Resynthesis plug-in ala sampler - you could do all this at once by allowing audio in to the sampler

AAside from this, my nuber one things for live 7 are really to do with the record and arrange functionality

to me the biggest things I would like to see are:

1. a way to record sequence and automation seperately - so you dont have to record everything at once

2. a way of linking clips in session and arrange - IMO I imagine when Ableton brought in the arranger they would have thought long and hard about whether to have it record new clips into arrange(as it does now) or whether to just record the sequence of clips and have it so if you edit a clip in arrange you are also editing the original in session - I personally would have preferred the latter and in Live 7 I would like to see an option to choose that - maybe Ghost clips