New to this kind of thing

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
blueoctfgh

New to this kind of thing

Post by blueoctfgh » Sun Aug 06, 2006 3:50 pm

I have been playing with Garageband on my mac for quite sometime and decided that making music is what I want to do. Decided to get even more into it and did some research on anything I could start with and bought the M-Audio Triggerfinger.

I must be stupid cause I can't figure this thing out with the Live Lite software. Can anyone just give me some advice as to how to get started? How to start programming the controller?? Anything???

sniffio

Post by sniffio » Sun Aug 06, 2006 4:19 pm

take the long way.
it's usually better than the short way.

difficulty is good.

everything is nothing.

keep up the effort and u shall receive.

cheers

ps
i recommend to start learning about rhythms from a very easy book.
something like for children. It really is helpful to understand.
then go to scales.
not "major or minor", go directly and learn "mode".
don't memorize, Experience them.

pps
program wise, don't learn nothing.
there is nothing to learn.
nothing is everything.

blueoctfgh

Post by blueoctfgh » Sun Aug 06, 2006 5:38 pm

I know about rhythms. I have played drums since I was in Jr. High. Know about scales too...guitar and violin. But I don't know about MIDI controllers.

sniffio

Post by sniffio » Sun Aug 06, 2006 6:04 pm

great

there are several midi control messages.
for starters, I think this is good to know

Types of messages

midi note=changes notes, key number
midi velocity=something like volume, or intesity on that key.
midi CC(control change)=changing value. eg) for knobs and faders. very useful.
Program change messages = something to change the instruments eg)piano, violin, drums
Sysex=data you can send/receive your complete setting with hardwares. I don't think live supports Sysex.

what kind of controllers you want to control with midi ???

blueoctfgh

Post by blueoctfgh » Mon Aug 07, 2006 12:39 pm

I am using a Triggerfinger. I open Live 6 up and can't even figure out how to even begin to get sound out of it. I am pretty sure I have to program it some way using Enigma software...totally lost.

Tyrant

Post by Tyrant » Mon Aug 07, 2006 12:45 pm

select it in the preferences (the trigger finger) as remote. select preset 16 on the TF click on the midi button in live. ( top right Corner of screen) select what clip u wanna trigger , then hit the pad u want to trigger it.

Easy Peasy, lemon Sqeezey
P4 3.2 ghz 1gb ram,160gb system hd,80gb audio hd,M-Audio AudioPhile 24/96,M-Audio Delta 1010 LT,M-Audio Radium 49,M-Audio Trigger Finger,Uc 16,Roland MC 303,Beringer EuroRack UB1622FX Pro,Alesis Monitor 1 MK2

pearsonart.com

Post by pearsonart.com » Mon Aug 07, 2006 12:58 pm

You might be getting off to a bad start. It actually isn't necessary to have a midi controller to begin having fun learning the program.

Try backing up a bit. Open up the tutorials and follow along step by step. They cover most of the basics.

Later, you might visit the Live tips and tricks forum.

Live is a much deeper program than Garageband. The creative flexibility is one reason many people have migrated from other programs like Cubase etc. It's also quite different from traditional recording in some aspects. Follow the tutorials and give it some time. :)

andydes

Post by andydes » Mon Aug 07, 2006 6:19 pm

Depends what you're trying to use the Trigger Figger for- triggering clips, or playing drum patterns.

Sounds to me like you're trying to play it as an instrument. I'm not sure what the key range is for the pads on the trigger finger, you may need to change the range so it matches the notes that impulse (drum sampler) is mapped to.

Try opening a midi clip and press the MIDI arm button on that track (next to the mute and solo buttons). This shold show a piano keyboard on the left. When you hit the pads, do the keys light up. It's a big range, so you may have to scroll up and down it to see what keys are being played. Or press record and hit in a few notes and see if they appear in the grid.