M-Audio Firewire 410 with Live

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Tim York

Post by Tim York » Fri Sep 05, 2003 8:03 am

"4 inputs available but only two can be used at once at once."

There hardly seems any point in having 4 inputs if you can only use two at once. Are you sure that's right?

Meez - is this true - can you only use two inputs at once?

Tim

jamm

Post by jamm » Fri Sep 05, 2003 8:31 am

The esi looks interesting. What=the price?
Greetinz..

Post by Guest » Fri Sep 05, 2003 4:55 pm

jamm wrote:The esi looks interesting. What=the price?
Greetinz..

I believe audiomidi lets you pre-order the QUATA-fire for $399. There's no date of release though, so if someone needs it *now*, it probably won't be an option.

-scotty

jamm

Post by jamm » Sat Sep 06, 2003 10:42 pm

Thanks for the information.
100 dollars difference with the 410
I think the 410 is a better option.

Greetinz..

bioroid

Post by bioroid » Tue Sep 09, 2003 7:49 am

Ok, I hooked up my FireWire 410 today and tested it with my Toshiba 3ghz laptop. I set the ASIO latency to 256 samples.. which is 6 or 8ms.. Tested it with Fruity Loops 4.12, Cubase SX 1.02, Traktor 2.1.1, Reason 2.5, Live 2.1.2 and it is damn solid.

I really like the fact you can route any of the outputs to the headphones. And routing in general is pretty flexible. I am very happy with this unit. The control panel have a very Live look and feel to it also.

Martin
bioroid

Post by Guest » Tue Sep 09, 2003 10:06 am

Happy you're satisfied with your purchase looking at the 410 myself, have
a question does it or does it not allow you to use 4 imputs at once, and if not what is the purpose of the 4 imputs?

bioroid

Post by bioroid » Wed Sep 10, 2003 1:11 am

I think you can use all 4 inputs at once because two stereo inputs (analog and digital) show up in Live. I don't have any way to test 4 inputs but they should work. You can also download the manual from the M-Audio website.

Also, I noticed a huge improvement in Cubase SX over the EMI 2|6 I was using. Before in one of my songs, the Novation V-Station would miss the first few beats the very first time it was played but I did not have this problem with the 410. Everything seemed a lot tighter and glitch free.

bioroid

logicat2001

Yes, 4 inputs.

Post by logicat2001 » Wed Sep 10, 2003 2:02 am

I don't own a Firewire 410 but I did the research, so I'm posting this in hopes it clears up the confusion re: # of inputs.

The FW410 has 2 analog inputs and 2 digital inputs available. Therefore, it has 4 simultaneous inputs.

The unit also happens to have 4 analog connections available: 2 on the front and 2 on the back. This does not mean that there are 4 analog inputs available. Only two of the analog inputs can be utilized at once.

I hope that helps someone reading this.

Best,
Logicat

Post by Guest » Wed Sep 10, 2003 3:27 am

i just got mine up and running, quite painlessly btw, and yeah it seems totally solid in LIVE. My Logic (5 audio "big Box") doesn't like it though, so im gonna do a re install of that. Live auto set latency to 256 samples, very tight! Tractor and fruity loops both love the 410 too.

sunit

Post by sunit » Sun Sep 14, 2003 7:01 pm

Lucas wrote:Just picked one up at guitar center today, and im having a hell of a time getting it to work without pops and clicks in os9 havent tried osx yet. Ah man im gonna be so upset if i just spent $400 bucks on another junk product. Ill keep this post updated with my progress.

lso
just wondering if you managed to get rid of the pops and clicks. i've got a relatively hi spec windows system that's also having trouble with clicks and pops on the 410...

thanks
-sunit

Lucas

Post by Lucas » Mon Sep 15, 2003 1:09 pm

No unfortunatly I had to return the product. I just thought that my machine (Ibook 600) wasnt fast enough to handle it. I dont have a firewire port on my pc, so i didnt try it there (that wasnt the point anyway). I push my laptop pretty hard. I can get 8-10 tracks with like 6-8 auto filters working great while recording loops in real time no problem with soundmanager. I mean the machine is really sluggish at this point, but never any clicks or pops. The 410 would click and pop even with only 1-2 tracks with no effects.

lso

nickw

Post by nickw » Mon Sep 15, 2003 1:15 pm

the faq section for the 410 on m audios website has the following

Symptom:       Popping and clicking  on a G3 I-Book

Solution:          Check CPU usage in running application. If CPU usage goes above 70 % the results could be pops and clicks. Please reduce number of tracks or plug-ins.

They also have the manual on line if anyone wants to see before they buy. I'm thinking of getting one - I have 667 powerbook and G4 imac, any positive neg experience with them ?

Cheers

Nick

Post by Guest » Tue Sep 16, 2003 1:45 pm

in reason i didnt have problems with pops or clicks, but in live i couldnt get rid of them at all. Even with just one sample playing and no effects. like under 20 % cpu usage.

lso

sunit

Post by sunit » Tue Sep 16, 2003 8:38 pm

i'm running a dell inspiron 8100 - not that new, but still pretty fast, with 512 mb of ram,a pIII processor, and a 64 Mb vid card. also running off a 7200 rpm hardrive and an optimized winxp.

m-audio replied saying that on laptops sometimes there are conflicts with the firewire ports and the pcmia cards that cause problems....not sure about this one, but i thought i'd get a pcmia firewire card anyways, and see if this clears anything up.

-sunit

the bedroom

firewire 410 works great

Post by the bedroom » Sun Sep 28, 2003 7:45 pm

i have used the firewire 410 for about 2 weeks. it works great. i use a 1ghz ti book with 1 gig of ram. used with dp4. live and reason no prob. also gives a much better midi controller response than oxygen 8. firewire is the future (and usb2). had the edirol ua-20 and this piece of junk didn't work for shit. the driver still has some definite issues but i am sure those will be resolved soon. so for those of us who can't afford the motu interface this is a solid option.

just my thoughts