M-Audio Firewire 410 with Live

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.

Post by Guest » Sun Aug 31, 2003 7:05 pm

guest77 do you relize how stupid you sound? i mean come on i own an audio phile 2496 that i use on my pc desktop and it works great. i also own an midiman keyboard and i used to own maudio monitors. Im not lying and i have been makin music with synthesizers and computers since about 1993. I am 25, and my parents havent bought me one piece of gear. im just telling the truth. lol i cant quit laughing about you last post. you are lame man. ha ha. if anyone else gets this thing working correctly please let me know.

lso

Tryptik8

Post by Tryptik8 » Sun Aug 31, 2003 7:21 pm

I don't know lso, I kinda gotta agree with guest77, your original post did seem sort of like you always have problems with "im gonna be so upset if i just spent $400 bucks on ANOTHER junk product".

Really, he doesn't sound stupid, it just seems like he tried to help and you didn't like what you heard so you immediately accused him (and he did get WAY too angry) but I don't blame him. And I don't blame you for being frustrated if you've had bad luck with certain products, its hard to know these day what's at fault. We just all need to stop the mud slingin' and help each other out.

Anyways, just my 2 cents...

:)

Post by Guest » Sun Aug 31, 2003 7:28 pm

the one other product i tried with my ibook was the emagic 2|6. I think its pretty safe to say that this product is no good. Im not slinging anything man im really looking for some advice i just thought that dude was a little over the top. Plain and simple though I am haveing no luck with the 410. really though i want it to work, and it almost does. but you cant tolorate crackles. i mean what else could it be? the system is running the bare minimums. if im overlooking something please let me know.

lso

Post by Guest » Sun Aug 31, 2003 7:33 pm

i guess the bottom line is "time will tell" im sure they will sell millions of these, and they will probably continue to update the drivers, and im sure eventually all will be fine. but its only gonna be a couple of days before others start to post thier results. you know i really hope i am quote an "IDIOT" and this thing really will do what they say it will. we will see.

lso

Tim York

Post by Tim York » Mon Sep 01, 2003 7:16 pm

Lucas - Do you run any other software like Logic, Cubase etc? Anything you could test the card with to see if the incompatibility is solely with Live?

I'd be really interested to hear other people's experiences with this card as I'm looking at getting a Ti867 soon.

Tim

G4 1.25 dual
Mac OS 10.2.6 + 9.2.2
1.5 Gig RAM
Digi 001 audio interface
Emagic MT4 Midi interface
Logic 6.1
Ableton Live 2.1.1
Reaktor 4.0.2

andreX

Post by andreX » Mon Sep 01, 2003 8:48 pm

sorry folks- this could have gotten some interesting thread but it was finally killed by some freaks who simply can´t just keep from insulting each other.
back to the topic- has any1 else made any experiences with the firewire410?
i still intend to buy 1 but hate to become a public beta tester for a simple thing like a driver.

Post by Guest » Tue Sep 02, 2003 1:13 am

I tried the 410 with reason. It worked great. I loaded one of the biggest demo songs and set the latencey to 64 samples and it held strong. I tried it with live 152 and 203 and 212. i could not get good results. so i suppose it is live. atleast on my system. im gonna keep trying to get it working right. guitar center has a 30 day return policy.

lso

Tim York

Post by Tim York » Tue Sep 02, 2003 4:10 pm

Well Reason's notoriously CPU light, and you're close to the edge with M Audio's recommendations (which probably weren't tested with Live), so I wonder if this is just down to the available CPU you have on your machine.

Are any other people having problems with the 410 and Live?

Can anyone else share whatever experiences they're having with the 410 and whatever software/hardware they're using please?

Tim

meez

firewire 410 fine for me

Post by meez » Tue Sep 02, 2003 4:32 pm

I got mine and hooked it up to my flat panel imac 800 no problem, one key thing is this that i noticed. There is a power button, if you have everything on a power strip and the power button is pushed in, and you power on the strip the mac wont see it when it boots, you must have the power button off, then turn on power strip, then turn on 410 then boot mac. Also the installer CD for the driver did not have the right installer application assigned to it. Other than that it is really really really cool and light and small and worked great with live, no pops no clicks, great sound , the 2 individual headphone outs arer great to have, but it would be nice to be able to rout pre listen to those jacks not out of one of the 10 audio jacks. not a big deal but maybe in the future eh?

Tim York

Post by Tim York » Wed Sep 03, 2003 11:15 am

Have you tried it with any other apps, meez. Logic, Cubase, Reaktor, Reason?

Also, how many ins does it have, and what kind of ins? Is it two main ins and two spdifs, or two main ins and two 1/4 inch, or two main ins and two phonos?

Tim

meez

answer tim york

Post by meez » Fri Sep 05, 2003 12:02 am

Have you tried it with any other apps, meez. Logic, Cubase, Reaktor, Reason?

Also, how many ins does it have, and what kind of ins? Is it two main ins and two spdifs, or two main ins and two 1/4 inch, or two main ins and two phonos?

Tim

Nope just live, thats why i bought it for using live er live, It has 2 balanced neutrik xlr inputs in the front as the main ins, it also has 2 trs 1/4inch inputs in the back, spdif in and out, and optical in and out, 8 trs 1/4" audio outputs in the back and midi in and out, and 2 headphone outs in the front with independant volume knobs, quite good bang for buck!

SongCarver

Post by SongCarver » Fri Sep 05, 2003 12:14 am

im confused.

can you use 4 analogue inputs at the same time?

SongCarver

Post by SongCarver » Fri Sep 05, 2003 1:14 am

ahh, i checked manual.. 2 analogue inputs at once.

is the only competition (firewire) out there the 828?

Any others I should know of, offering multi ins?

Post by Guest » Fri Sep 05, 2003 4:12 am

SongCarver wrote:is the only competition (firewire) out there the 828?

Though its not firewire (its PCMCIA) and costs more than others, the RME multiface is worth every penny and then some for someone doing serious audio--better conversion, and the pcmcia is faster than firewire devices, allowing the lowest possible latency. As far as firewire, it seems the new 828 might be the best, others include metric halo (pricey), and presonus firestation.

Ryan

scotty

Post by scotty » Fri Sep 05, 2003 5:26 am

SongCarver wrote:ahh, i checked manual.. 2 analogue inputs at once.

is the only competition (firewire) out there the 828?

Egosys has a few firewire boxes in the works but no release date yet. The QUATA-fire looks like just what I need!
http://www.esi-pro.com/listProduct.php?ctgr=7

-scotty