Is anyone looping electronic or acoustic drums live?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
vdrum

Is anyone looping electronic or acoustic drums live?

Post by vdrum » Sat Aug 30, 2003 8:34 pm

I have begun to utalize this technique with my Roland Vdrums...I have an SPD 20 pad to start and stop recording...Itys a blast and has added HUGE sonic texture to our live preformance....is anyone else into this??

Mbazzy

Post by Mbazzy » Sat Aug 30, 2003 8:45 pm

Not exactly, but I(ve started fingerdrumming my zoom mrt-3 [ excellent samples in there ]into Live and am looking to add a yamaha dd-5 percussioncontroller .... a poor man's setup ...;-D
http://www.mbazzy.tk -
Mbazzy's "The dysfunctional playground, a scrapbook a bout the shape of useless things" now OUT on Retinascan - http://www.retinascan.de

Post by Guest » Sat Aug 30, 2003 9:11 pm

hell yeah, I've been preaching the midi drum controller for awhile with no others responding. I use a ten pad Drumkat EZ--its great for playing drums live. I build up my tracks from instruments live on stage, and its awesome to be able to just play a kick and snare pattern (I actually trigger the kick with a stick--you can do some wicked things), then loop it, then add cymbals, percussion, etc. on top. I build velocity layered kits in reason on the nnxt sampler--i even have a kit that is all turntable scratches, so i can trigger those with the drumkat. i guess you can tell i'm stoked on it. i used to trigger drum beats with a keyboard, and could never go back after being able to use sticks--it is too much fun.

Ryan

vdrum

Post by vdrum » Sat Aug 30, 2003 10:14 pm

Ryan,

How do you START Live recording during your DrumKat preformance...then how do you STOP the recording....then how do you LAUNCH the clip? IS all this done while you are preforming on ther KAt? Or do you lay a few parts down...then loop them and THEN start playing live again?

I'd love to talk more about this...I too am hooked on this approach!

Post by Guest » Sun Aug 31, 2003 4:32 am

I use a behringer fcb1010 midi foot controller set up to trigger redording of clips in Live. I have my quantization in live preferences menu set to "global", and my quantization at the top of the screen set to "bar". During the measure before i want to start recording a clip, I hit the midi foot button that corresponds to the track I want to record on, and at exactly the next "1" (the next bar, the beginning of a new measure) it starts recording what I'm playing via Reason into a Live clip. Then I hit the same foot patch again during the last measure of what I'm recording in order to stop/loop the clip. Of course, you have to program the 1010 patches and Live's midi map to do the appropriate things when a foot patch is pressed. I have ten patches available on the 1010 at once, so I use them for recording onto nine Live tracks, plus one that acts as the delete button on the keyboard, using Bome's midi translator (free!). Delete is clutch for peforming live--if you mess up while recording a clip, just hit the "delete" patch, then start recording your clip again at the appropriate time. I use midi ox and yoke (also free) to have my one midi port control both reason and live.

I am actually a bass player by trade, but have been inspired by live to create an electronic duo with a guitarist who plays all live--not using Live or looping. Everything we do is 100% live--i start songs with a bass line or keyboard part while listening to the tempo on phones, then loop that part and start another. I usual get bass and a keyboard patch or two (some chords, and maybe some texture sounds) going, then I turn to the drumkat. I usually just build up the parts seperately--I'll redord a kick or kick + snare part on the first clip, then a clip of cymabls, then a clip of percussion, etc. So in the end the drum sound is the product of 3-5 repeating Live clips. Then, when the sound is flushed out, and all the clips are looping, I can play melodies or leads, interact with the guitarist melodically, then I start tweaking effects--delays, auto filters and such. Way too much fun...

Ryan

Mbazzy

Post by Mbazzy » Sun Aug 31, 2003 12:54 pm

Btw, for those who are interested into this approach the "MIDI Key Ranges and Velocity" snippet in the 3.0 blurb will be very .... instrumental .... :twisted:
http://www.mbazzy.tk -
Mbazzy's "The dysfunctional playground, a scrapbook a bout the shape of useless things" now OUT on Retinascan - http://www.retinascan.de

vdrum

Post by vdrum » Sun Aug 31, 2003 8:16 pm

Ryan,

Do you ever find that Live misses the first bunch of milliseconds of the first beat on the recorded clip? I have this problem and have been trying to figure out where the latency is coming from. I have a fast RME pcmcia card so I doubt thats it.

Ever experience this?

Thanks,

TK

noisetonepause

Post by noisetonepause » Sun Aug 31, 2003 8:49 pm

vdrum - get it all the time! am using the EMI 2/6, which Live doesn't seem to like - or are you also getting quantitisation noise and distortion on your recordings when driving Live hard?

-Paws

Post by Guest » Sun Aug 31, 2003 10:24 pm

vdrum wrote:Ryan,

Do you ever find that Live misses the first bunch of milliseconds of the first beat on the recorded clip? I have this problem and have been trying to figure out where the latency is coming from. I have a fast RME pcmcia card so I doubt thats it.

Ever experience this?

Thanks,

TK
Yes, but only on clips where I'm recording reason's samplers (which I'm using for drum samples) rewired into live. also using multiface, so it shouldn't be that. All I can figure is that by running midi ox/yoke and bomes midi translator in conjuction with reason and Live there is more latency. Basically when i record my drum clips, I'll sometimes get a delayed response for the first few beats, making them late. Or the clip won't start recording at the right time--I've found i have to hit the record clip button 2 bars ahead of time sometimes. Its weird though--the reason drums and even synths sound just fine when i'm playing them, NO perceptible latency of stuttering. But it seems that as soon as i hit the record clip patch, the latency will often kick in more and the beats will get behind. Or if i use the reason piano, it will delay what I'm playing. It always seems worst right after hitting the record clip button, at the beginning of the clip. I've never had a problem with my hardware synths and stringed instruments into Live, so I'm convinced its either a midi and/or a rewire thing for me. I guess my solution is to try to get another real midi port to control reason to see if that takes care of it.

ryan

Post by Guest » Thu Sep 04, 2003 3:18 pm

NO perceptible latency of stuttering. But it seems that as soon as i hit the record clip patch, the latency will often kick in more and the beats will get behind.
I have noticed the same too under rewire. It's not much but it feels like I'm dragging the beat but I'm not. I did some comparisons with my drum machine and it confirmed it. I guess it's one of the shortcomings of rewire.

vdrum

Post by vdrum » Thu Sep 04, 2003 3:30 pm

Thanks for these replyies...

Im wondering if "chaining" too many Midi devices causes more recording start latency? My chain to record my live drums into LIVE: >Roland SPD 20 midi trigger pad which I strike to begin the recording>into Roland drum brain>into Midi splitter (3X8)>into Midisport 2 X 2>into my Sony Vaio laptop

Does anyone know if its possible to "shorten" midi latency?

Per Boysen

Post by Per Boysen » Thu Sep 04, 2003 5:37 pm

Anonymous wrote:I use a behringer fcb1010 midi foot controller set up to trigger recording of clips in Live. //////
Ryan
Hey - that's the pedal I'm using too. I have also patched the two expression pedals to control track voume and different looping VST plug-ins like the PSP42. I'm playing tenor sax and guitar and have been doing live-looping shows with hardware (gibson echoplex, electrix repeater) but now I'm looking into Ableton Live to eventually start using it regulary. As I wrote somewhere else I miss the ability to overdub with a feedback setting (like a delay) into a Live Clip. I saw something about "feedback" in the 3.0 spec's :-)
Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
http://www.perboysen.com

Per Boysen

Post by Per Boysen » Thu Sep 04, 2003 5:38 pm

Anonymous wrote:I use a behringer fcb1010 midi foot controller set up to trigger recording of clips in Live. //////
Ryan
Hey - that's the pedal I'm using too. I have also patched the two expression pedals to control track voume and different looping VST plug-ins like the PSP42. I'm playing tenor sax and guitar and have been doing live-looping shows with hardware devices (gibson echoplex, electrix repeater) but now I'm looking into Ableton Live to eventually start using it regulary. As I wrote somewhere else I miss the ability to overdub with a feedback setting (like a delay) into a Live Clip. I saw something about "feedback" in the 3.0 spec's :-)
Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
http://www.perboysen.com

chungaflomper

Re: Is anyone looping electronic or acoustic drums live?

Post by chungaflomper » Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:52 am

im looping acoustic drums live.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnBjfxPlwF8

Klauser

Re: Is anyone looping electronic or acoustic drums live?

Post by Klauser » Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:03 am

chungaflomper wrote:im looping acoustic drums live.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnBjfxPlwF8

Even though this is an old thread u dug up, I enjoyed your track. I love watching and hearing individual people create pretty much a full song themselves. This make me really want to learn the guitar Can play the drums and piano/keyboard, but there's something I like about the guitar that a keyboard cannot create.

Anyways, nice video