Portishead, Dummy

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
glu

Post by glu » Sun Aug 13, 2006 7:11 pm

I loved the second Portishead album as well. The sound evolved and changed a bit from dummy to the self titled. When I first heard Cowboys, back when the album came out, I was in heaven. Still waiting for the next round... Dummy was just raw, the breakthrough, and there will always be something majestic about a band's first album that throws them into the mainstream world. The Doors self titled album is a good example of that.
no prevailing genre of music:
http://alonetone.com/glu

djshiva

Post by djshiva » Sun Aug 13, 2006 7:48 pm

ahhhh...portishead.

yeah, dummy is sitting up HIGH on my topten list, too.

amazing album...
http://www.soundcloud.com/djshiva
http://www.facebook.com/djshivamusic
http://sapphicbeats.blogspot.com

Macbook Pro Core 2 Duo / OSX / 2Gb RAM / Ableton Live 8 / Akai LPD8/LPK25

debu

Post by debu » Sun Aug 13, 2006 10:39 pm

Their concert dvd at "Roseland NYC" is excellent as wel...

nylarch

Post by nylarch » Sun Aug 13, 2006 10:57 pm

tricky++

Maxinquaye IMHO is a masterpiece and Pre-Millenmium Tension is the sound of beautiful psychosis. I remember a reviewer at the time writing that "the best guitar player in the world right now is Tricky with a sampler" and I thought that pretty much summed it up.

mcconaghy

Post by mcconaghy » Sun Aug 13, 2006 10:59 pm

debu wrote:Their concert dvd at "Roseland NYC" is excellent as wel...
Best live DVD ever, in my opinion. Robert Plant knew what he was doing when he hired half of that band for his last few tours.

kramerica

Post by kramerica » Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:06 am

Trip Hop has already made it's comeback folks.

Zero 7, Thievery Corporation, Groove Armada, The Cinematic Orchestra, DJ Krush, DJ Cam, DJ Shadow, Halou, Federico Aubele, Gotan Project, Morcheeba, Mark Farina's Mushroom Jazz, Tommy Guerrero, Wagon Christ (aka Luke Vibert) - all are pretty much on top of the game, releasing albums, getting lots of praise and attention, and touring.

...oh, and trip hop is what I make. :wink: There's a few groups in Chicago and an emerging scene, imo.

FACTOID: Portishead's albums sound so good b/c they record everything on analog tape, then cut it up and make loops (at which point, they probably go to digital - not sure). Hence, the warmth.
\,, / (^_^) \,,? /

forge

Post by forge » Mon Aug 14, 2006 6:55 am

kramerica wrote:Trip Hop has already made it's comeback folks.

Zero 7, Thievery Corporation, Groove Armada, The Cinematic Orchestra, DJ Krush, DJ Cam, DJ Shadow, Halou, Federico Aubele, Gotan Project, Morcheeba, Mark Farina's Mushroom Jazz, Tommy Guerrero, Wagon Christ (aka Luke Vibert) - all are pretty much on top of the game, releasing albums, getting lots of praise and attention, and touring.
all of those have been around for years - come back would have to mean it went and then ...came back!

I definitely hasnt been as big as it was in the mid-90s - Portishead and massive attack and tricky were the big catalysts who got the whole big ball rolling as far as the "scene"goes I reckon

I definitely havent heard anything as good as Dummy or Mezzanine for the genre

kramerica

Post by kramerica » Mon Aug 14, 2006 7:35 am

forge wrote:
kramerica wrote:Trip Hop has already made it's comeback folks.

all of those have been around for years - come back would have to mean it went and then ...came back!

I definitely hasnt been as big as it was in the mid-90s - Portishead and massive attack and tricky were the big catalysts who got the whole big ball rolling as far as the "scene"goes I reckon

I definitely havent heard anything as good as Dummy or Mezzanine for the genre
As much as the Bristol scene is heralded among trip hop purists, the fact is that it really never broke into the US or other major markets in any major way. At least, the new wave of trip hop artists are making more money and getting more recognition now than the og's recieved when they were top of their game.

And, yes, portishead is still one of my all time favorite groups and no one has eclipsed them as of yet. I'm just saying that the so-called godfathers of trip hop are much more respected and known now than they were when they were making their legendary albums. But that happens alot in music.

My point being, it's only getting bigger and better for trip hoppers.
\,, / (^_^) \,,? /

Benshik

Post by Benshik » Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:21 am

I loved Massive Attack in the 90's. in canada at the time it wasnt even distributed, so I had to order it from britain. when i finally got it, most of my friends - either into rock or techno - thought it was complete shite ;)

more than 10 years have passed and i still like it...
but I think trip hop as a "genre" didnt give birth to a lot of good bands...
just lots of pop artists like alanis morissette started to make songs "trip hop" style with heavy drums in the foreground of the mix. :roll:
Macbook 2.2ghz, OS 10.5.2, Focusrite Saffire, Microkontrol, Lemur

forge

Post by forge » Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:55 am

this thread sent me going through the 2 big CD wallets we brought from the UK (ditched all the cases for the move) and to my horror I've discovered I dont seem to have mezzanine any more - 8O :cry:

that track teardrop when it came out I remember sticking on repeat - it was one of those tracks I could listen to again and again which I dont get much anymore with music

Cryptic UK

Post by Cryptic UK » Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:30 am

This is not success.
kramerica wrote: At least, the new wave of trip hop artists are making more money and getting more recognition now than the og's recieved when they were top of their game.

This is success.
kramerica wrote: I'm just saying that the so-called godfathers of trip hop are much more respected and known now than they were when they were making their legendary albums.
Drums

kramerica

Post by kramerica » Mon Aug 14, 2006 4:59 pm

Cryptic UK wrote:This is not success.
kramerica wrote: At least, the new wave of trip hop artists are making more money and getting more recognition now than the og's recieved when they were top of their game.

Sure it is. Look it up. It just might not mean that it's any good or that you or I will like it. I happen to like A LOT of the new stuff. DJ Shadow is a genius. Massive Attack's last 2 albums have been shit.
\,, / (^_^) \,,? /

Cryptic UK

Post by Cryptic UK » Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:32 pm

kramerica wrote:
Cryptic UK wrote:This is not success.

Sure it is. Look it up. It just might not mean that it's any good or that you or I will like it. I happen to like A LOT of the new stuff. DJ Shadow is a genius. Massive Attack's last 2 albums have been shit.
what is the new stuff i havent heard any, im not being funny but if could show me some new stufff id love to hear it, what are the names of the bands/artists.

so you mean mezzanine was shit your joking right? and your into trip hop 8O

If you know anything about music/production you wouldnt be saying that.

DJ shadow is not new, however also class.

DJ shadow is one guy using samples from records.

Massive Attack are a band and make thier own sounds.

jimi hendrix is a genius.
Drums

Lo-Fi Massahkah

Post by Lo-Fi Massahkah » Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:41 pm

Mezzanine is not one of Massive's last two albums (well, not of you're counting the compilation with one new single anyway)... Have you not read up on the discography before being so cocky, Mr Cryptic? :wink:

-Mikael

kramerica

Post by kramerica » Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:45 pm

Mezzanine was dope. I guess I meant the last album from M.A. was weak. My b.

And while Trip Hop started with live bands doing electronic music, I don't think it's necessary. Thus, DJ Shadow, Cam, and Krush should be considered trip hop by any measure. It's 60-90 bpm, sub bass lines, sampled hip hop drum beats, etc. And for the record, I'm sick of the trip hop recipe that necessitates a depressing woman vocalist over each track. Just b/c Beth Gibbons is a goddess, doesn't mean everyone else has to try and emulate her.

Check out DJ Krush and Kondo (sp?). It's Krush and a live japanese trumpeter. Sick stuff.

When I said "new wave", I didn't mean that these artists just popped up. Since trip hop is a mid-90s thing anyway, I guess I'm just saying that it's only gotten bigger and more noticed. Shadow has been around for a while, but, imo, he's moved more and more into the trip hop as opposed to pure hip hop. Dzihan and Kamien have some dope shit. So do Kruder and Dorfmeister. Apparently, Vienna had a nice trip hop scene. And then Halou out of San Fran are pretty sick. Thievery Corp. is great, assuming you like dub. Groove Armada owns my face, though they have plenty of upbeat shit as well (which I like - diversity is good). Zero 7 has gotten a bit poppy, but they're live shows are incredible (I'll be seeing them in Chicago in Sept. as well as Massive Attack 8O). Morcheeba lost their singer and their last album(s) sucked balls compared to "Who Can You Trust". Tommy Guerrero is great, especially his album with Gadget. Highly recommended. Then you have Nightmares on Wax, Red Snapper, Skalpel (acid jazz?), Cinematic Orchestra (Ninja tune records, nuff said), Fila Brazilia, Federico Aubele (mix tango and trip hop, it works!), Neotropic, etc. and you have a shit load of awesome trip hop artists that are still making music and just getting better and bigger.
\,, / (^_^) \,,? /