Best websites for DJs to snag new music from?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Spikee

Best websites for DJs to snag new music from?

Post by Spikee » Sat Aug 12, 2006 7:33 pm

Well, I was offered an opportunity to take up a monthly residence at a well-equipped coffeeshop that my friend does booking for and now I have to go out and acquire from fresh stuff that will keep people interested. Only thing is, I don't know where to begin so I thought I'd appeal to the masses here.

The range of stuff I'd be dropping is downtempo, tech/funky/deep house, techno and maybe some hip-hop (the cerebral stuff, not the "Muthafucka-ho-nigga-40-blunt-bitch" fare). Where should an aspiring Ableton DJ be looking to get stuff like that?

To start I'll drop a good discovery I've made -- www.dancetracksdigital.com. Good listening system, prices are a little "M'eh" but I'm actually pretty familiar with one of the labels they host (OM Records) and they have what I can tell to be a good selection.

What are your favorite sites?

rajcoont

Post by rajcoont » Sat Aug 12, 2006 10:35 pm

evidentside

Post by evidentside » Sat Aug 12, 2006 11:09 pm

sony vaio a215m w/1gb ram : m-audio fw audiophile : 80gb lacie netdrive hd : novation remote 25 SL : ableton live 5 : cakewalk sonar 4 : tannoy active revealmonitors.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sat Aug 12, 2006 11:37 pm

addictech.com
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

missjade

Post by missjade » Sun Aug 13, 2006 12:22 am

i think beatport definitely has the best interface around.... but try these as well:

audiojelly.com
junodownload.com
djdownload.com

i've also found some decent downtempo on itunes....

metapathik

Post by metapathik » Sun Aug 13, 2006 12:25 am

beatport is quite good. another nice one that started up more recently is http://groovegate.com
macbook pro 2.4 ghz | motu ultralite | krk rokit 5 x2 | novation remote 25sl | ableton live 8

lowmax

Post by lowmax » Sun Aug 13, 2006 12:32 am

Beatport would be my first choice and juno my second. Although the new beatport 3.0 beta is sorta buggy with the previewing of tracks....but i'm sure they're working on it.

nuperspective
Location: was: accrington [england]. now: melbourne [australia]

Post by nuperspective » Sun Aug 13, 2006 1:12 am

just taking this a step further:

i was reading this months futuremusic and there a write up on www.garageband.com. which is all unsigned artists. so we all know the decent pay sites for established artists.

are there any good sites that you can get shit hot fresh unsigned electronic music from? free or other wise?

yes - i know theres some shit hot fresh unsigned music on the 'link your music forum' anywhere esle worth checking?

inis

Post by inis » Sun Aug 13, 2006 2:58 am

ya, beatport is always king. juno is great too, i find alot of there i cant get on beatport.

Im also really into djdownload.com again, now that they have a built in previewing window.

D DAS

Post by D DAS » Sun Aug 13, 2006 4:18 am

beatport rips you off for wav's. imho.

here are three suggestions for most of what you are looking for. at least all of your house needs

http://www.stompy.com

dm_hawk

Post by dm_hawk » Sun Aug 13, 2006 5:24 pm

STOMPY ROCKS! it would be nice if they had more labels/styles, though

thanks for the suggestion, D DAS, i had never heard of them before.

beatport definitely has it beat for seletion, but you can't knock stompy's 1.99 per .wav, vs. beatport's 1.49-1.99 base plus lameass 1.00 per track .wav "handling fee." That starts to hurt if you're wanting to buy tracks by the dozen.

also, if scrapey noisy minimal techno ear candy is your thing, unfoundsoundrecords.com is releasing some of the best stuff out there (IMHO).
their releases are FREE and UNCOMPRESSED
..... . . . . . . . . .

nuperspective
Location: was: accrington [england]. now: melbourne [australia]

Post by nuperspective » Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:05 am

dm_hawk wrote:
also, if scrapey noisy minimal techno ear candy is your thing, unfoundsoundrecords.com is releasing some of the best stuff out there (IMHO).
their releases are FREE and UNCOMPRESSED
man you are a star. what a find. im not a minimal kind of guy but still some awesome tracks on there. thats exactly what im talking about. cool as, free, unsigned, original.

anybody know any more net labels worth checking out?

dm_hawk

Post by dm_hawk » Mon Aug 14, 2006 4:19 pm

check out the links page on unfound
..... . . . . . . . . .