a stable audio interface for a dj?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
johnnydeep

Post by johnnydeep » Mon Aug 14, 2006 1:39 am

hi.
im after a good audio interface for djing.wondering if anyone can give me some tips. it needs to be stable, but still affordable, preferrableey bus powered and not to heavey on the cpu load.
i have a mac g4(1.5ghz), and a uc33e.
any help would be appreciated

M. Bréqs

Re: a stable audio interface for a dj?

Post by M. Bréqs » Mon Aug 14, 2006 2:41 am

johnnydeep wrote:hi.
im after a good audio interface for djing.wondering if anyone can give me some tips. it needs to be stable, but still affordable, preferrableey bus powered and not to heavey on the cpu load.
I found this works well, and is suffecient for a lot of DJs out there...

http://www.echoaudio.com/Products/CardB ... /index.php

djro

Post by djro » Mon Aug 14, 2006 4:39 am

i recommend the behringer FAC202. small, bus powered, 2in/2out firewire interface w/headphone jack.
DJ.RO
Apple MBP 2.0 GHz
Live 5.2.1
M-Audio Radim 49
Evolution X-Session
Austin LP guitar
Digitech RP 200 FX pedal
Yamaha keys
Behringer UB1202FX mixer
Boss Sp-202 sampler

philipbarrett

Post by philipbarrett » Mon Aug 14, 2006 1:32 pm

If you want a solo/preview function independent from your outputs (& which live dj doesn't?) then you'll need a 4 output box. Use the headphone accesable outputs (generally 1&2) for cueing and the 3&4 outputs to feed the sound system.

Digigram make a really nice PC card http://www.digigram.com/products/getinf ... d_key=8700 but it is expensive.

robin

Post by robin » Mon Aug 14, 2006 1:36 pm

M. Bréqs wrote:
johnnydeep wrote:hi.
I found this works well, and is suffecient for a lot of DJs out there...

http://www.echoaudio.com/Products/CardB ... /index.php
or if you have no card slot the Echo Audiofire2 is out any day now. I'm waiting on that.

djastroboy

Post by djastroboy » Mon Aug 14, 2006 6:16 pm

philipbarrett wrote:If you want a solo/preview function independent from your outputs (& which live dj doesn't?) then you'll need a 4 output box. Use the headphone accesable outputs (generally 1&2) for cueing and the 3&4 outputs to feed the sound system.

Digigram make a really nice PC card http://www.digigram.com/products/getinf ... d_key=8700 but it is expensive.
Wow haven't heard about digigram in a while. I thought their cards had too high a latency? Any change?
Are you not needing low latency?

johnnydeep

Post by johnnydeep » Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:11 am

thanx for your replies and addvice. ive elected to go with presonus in the end. meant to be very stable.
cheers peeps :D

M. Bréqs

Post by M. Bréqs » Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:19 am

johnnydeep wrote:thanx for your replies and addvice. ive elected to go with presonus in the end. meant to be very stable.
Hope it works for ya! Enjoy!

stinky

Post by stinky » Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:07 am

M. Bréqs wrote:
johnnydeep wrote:thanx for your replies and addvice. ive elected to go with presonus in the end. meant to be very stable.
Hope it works for ya! Enjoy!
yeah, right.. presonus bites my ass... somethin fierce...
The Talented Mr Stinky.

Live Racks Abe-Wiki

tylenol

Post by tylenol » Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:35 am

stinky wrote:yeah, right.. presonus bites my ass... somethin fierce...
Say more? I was wondering the same thing today while looking at some used presonus firewire interfaces.

Mike Goodwin

Post by Mike Goodwin » Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:45 am

I would stick with the echo Indego I have had no problems with it or the MONA that I owned for years.

stinky

Post by stinky » Wed Aug 16, 2006 3:12 am

tylenol wrote:
stinky wrote:yeah, right.. presonus bites my ass... somethin fierce...
Say more? I was wondering the same thing today while looking at some used presonus firewire interfaces.
I had a presonus firestation a while back, and it just blew goats. It was total crap, and i never once got it to work properly (and i'm a tech)... their support sucks ass, and their equipment is cheap shit. I would never buy anything from presonus because anything they make can be bought from another company for just as cheap and with better parts, and support. The Echo card rox solid.. never had a single problem with it, and it has awesome latency. I can guarantee that the headache of owning a presonus is not worth it when compared to something as simple as the echo. Personally, for djing, that statement goes for any gear that you're looking to dj with.. the echo is simple, it just works. Unfortunately, if you have a new macbook pro, you're shit out of luck. If that's the case, i'd take m-audio over presonus any day.
The Talented Mr Stinky.

Live Racks Abe-Wiki

alan*

Post by alan* » Wed Aug 16, 2006 1:03 pm

had a presonus firebox, wouldnt recomend it, had an maudio 410, wouldnt recomend it, have now got a motu traveller, would definately recomend it or the ultra lite i think is the same thing but smaller....curious though for dj sets would be good to just have something compact with just 2 outputs like the echo indigo dj, anyone know if there is anything like that for intel macs, will the indigo dj work with a mac book pro ?
2.16ghz mbp 3gb, motu ultralite

http://myspace.com/indijika

robin

Post by robin » Wed Aug 16, 2006 1:17 pm

alan* wrote:had a presonus firebox, wouldnt recomend it, had an maudio 410, wouldnt recomend it, have now got a motu traveller, would definately recomend it or the ultra lite i think is the same thing but smaller....curious though for dj sets would be good to just have something compact with just 2 outputs like the echo indigo dj, anyone know if there is anything like that for intel macs, will the indigo dj work with a mac book pro ?
See the comment about the Echo Audiofire2 above.

edit: I asked Echo about support for the card slot on the MBP they said they had no plans (because of the audiofire2).

stinky

Post by stinky » Wed Aug 16, 2006 1:19 pm

alan* wrote:will the indigo dj work with a mac book pro ?
no
The Talented Mr Stinky.

Live Racks Abe-Wiki