Grim Reality

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
jamester

Post by jamester » Tue Aug 15, 2006 4:39 pm

I teach guitar and occasionally do some gigging, mostly receptions/private parties and such.
Purrrfect Audio PC by Jim Roseberry
Edirol UA-1000, Korg PadKontrol, Dynaudio BM 5A's
REAPER, Live, Sound Forge

martin808

Post by martin808 » Tue Aug 15, 2006 4:53 pm

by day i'm a joiner/carpenter. up until about 3 months ago i was building staircases, hanging doors, fitting floors etc. I've just started at a new place fitting extremely operpriced luxury kitchens and bathrooms. I never expected to be doing this. I started out by giving a mate a hand one day and decided it was quite enjoyable and i was good at it so i stuck at it. It pays pretty well if you put the work in. enough for me to have my own place and still have change to buy the odd vst. it's stress free and it keeps me fit.

by night i make techno n stuff.I love making music. It's something i've done for a long long time. the guys in my work don't even know anything about my other life. I release records (well, 2 records) and gig a lot. I dread the day some guy from work falls into a club i'm playing. they all think i'm really quiet and never go out. haha, little do they know.

I don't think i could do music full time. I once took 3 months off to get stuck into my music and ended up doing nothing. I find i make my best stuff when i just get home, covered in sawdust and stinking of b.o.

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:01 pm

martin808 wrote: I find i make my best stuff when i just get home, covered in sawdust and stinking of b.o.
Your Glasgow clubs must be quite something! :wink:

martin808

Post by martin808 » Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:04 pm

haha, I put on a clean t-shirt for the gigs

Emissary

Post by Emissary » Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:20 pm

i do film scores

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2042203/

well.... one film score, and in payment i recieved a large amount of beer and chocolate and a nice night out. It was a very low budget film.

I currently work in Simply drinks in st. asaph and spend the day listening to radio 3 at high volumes to annoy customers and also play Tetris. Its fun.................. i need more beer and chocolate though...anybody got a film score they want doing, I'm quite good. It was the only part of the film the reviewers didnt slag off. Not even a mention of it, which after the slagging off it recived in parts of the italian media (its a uk film though) is a godsend .

I also act in it as the nerdy geek called cole, i wander around clutching a disk box with a remote control car ariel sticking out the top. It truly is the lowest budget film ever made. it was made for £2000 and the directors mum made the sandwiches for our lunchs. worth a watch if your in italy or canada.

gomi

Re: Grim Reality

Post by gomi » Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:53 pm

anonymouse wrote:What is everyone's 'real job' here?
digital audio technician/apple sysadmin

hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:21 pm

Full-time Live DJ/VJ. It's my 3rd career after 10 years as a fighter pilot, and 10 years in print/graphic design. I have a low boredom threshold, and life's too short to spend doing only one thing!

The DJ/VJing is corporate and private work, but pays £200-250 an hour. Fully booked this summer, and next year is starting to fill up.

I'm determined to get paid for having fun, and work 2 days a week and have 5 days off!

Goran@Irrupt

Post by Goran@Irrupt » Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:32 pm

i work as a sound technician on well famous radio station in belgrade.
sound forge editing is my specialty. 8)
4800 Euro per year. not much, hah? :roll:

luckily i work at home as well, making music for commercials, theatre plays etc... + i dj, have a band, wife and lovely dog! :D

w :!:
http://www.irrupt.com ? Irrupt Studios / A&R

philipbarrett

Post by philipbarrett » Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:36 pm

I'm fortunate enough to be a "professional" sound mixer, those little faders have paid my bills & taken me around the World for nigh on 30 years. Is every day great? No, but I still regulaly have to pinch myself!

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:19 pm

JANITOR for: a mental health clinic /office building /and a thing called music circus(classy musical plays for rich people)

joesapo

Post by joesapo » Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:31 pm

Like many on the forum, I'm sure...

Here's what I got a couple weeks ago:

Just a nominee tho...

ultrasource

Post by ultrasource » Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:36 am

I love hearing what people do for a living. I figured that everyone in here with RME's, sick pre's and synths would be hard earners....
I am a pc/networking field technician for a couple of resorts in my area. It pays the bills but I'm on call 24/7. If it weren't for late night phone calls, I'd actually enjoy it but I don't.
I'm 30 and when I grow up I'll be rich
:D
HP L2000 | Live 5 + Operator | MOTU 828mkII | other stuff

njh

Post by njh » Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:44 am

im unemployed ( see my "i quit my job post from last week)
basically i have worked crap jobs since i was 16 ( im 26 now)
im now taking my time to find something i will like (or will be able to handle).

timothyallan

Post by timothyallan » Wed Aug 16, 2006 1:19 am

I'm a Canadian software developer in Aus right now. Mostly web based applications that the public never sees, they're all mainly internal for different clients or staff. .Net/SQL server stuff for you other nerds.

Been doing the programming thing for almost a decade now, tunes in the eve's weekends and the occasional gig for the past 3-4 years or so. Finally just getting some stuff signed :D

-Tim

smutek

Post by smutek » Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:04 am

I'm a graphic artist mainly. I'm looking for a full time gig at the moment and in the mean-time I do design work part time for a non-profit arts advocacy group, do freelance design work for other clients, go to school, and work three days a week in a restaurant till I find a full time gig.