good cheaper heaphones suggestion

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
infuzion
Posts: 32
Joined: Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:08 pm
Location: Earth,USA,CO,Denver
Contact:

good cheaper heaphones suggestion

Post by infuzion » Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:17 pm

Well, I lost my USD$180 headphones somewhere, & need to replace them. I really don't want to spend more than $40, unless they can replace decent near-field monitors (one of my next purchaces in 6 months or so). To be used for DJing, & light audio editing (cueing, rough mixes). Must be comfortable on my shaved head. Would be nice if they can go from open can (handy when DJing) to closed (good at coffee shops).

& if you say Sony, I'll lose all respect for you ;)
cheers!
Say hi at my MySpace space

ultrasource
Posts: 289
Joined: Wed Jul 21, 2004 8:17 pm
Location: nj

Post by ultrasource » Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:31 pm

Spend 60 bucks on the SR-60's. They look strange but sound gorgeous. And it's nice to not be a lemming. No offense to those using the sony's and senn's!
http://www.gradolabs.com/frameset_main.htm

Oops, my recommendation wouldn't be a good fit for DJ use. Nevermind.
HP L2000 | Live 5 + Operator | MOTU 828mkII | other stuff

muscleandhate
Posts: 693
Joined: Wed Aug 16, 2006 5:54 pm

Post by muscleandhate » Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:43 pm

I always used Sennheiser HD-25's as they have the most accurate and balanced sound quality, the toughest build quality and because every part is user replacable, not because everyone else used them ;)

ProducerDJ
Posts: 30
Joined: Thu Sep 08, 2005 7:06 pm
Location: Long Beach, CA

Post by ProducerDJ » Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:50 pm

I second the Sennheiser HD-25's.

ultrasource
Posts: 289
Joined: Wed Jul 21, 2004 8:17 pm
Location: nj

Post by ultrasource » Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:00 pm

muscleandhate wrote:I always used Sennheiser HD-25's as they have the most accurate and balanced sound quality, the toughest build quality and because every part is user replacable, not because everyone else used them ;)
Like I said, no offense! :D Having user replaceable parts is a big plus. I a/b'd my grados with only the hd-555 and i was astounded at what you don't get for double the price.
HP L2000 | Live 5 + Operator | MOTU 828mkII | other stuff

kennerb
Posts: 1464
Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2004 7:39 pm
Location: Oregon
Contact:

Post by kennerb » Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:05 pm

ultrasource wrote:Spend 60 bucks on the SR-60's. They look strange but sound gorgeous. And it's nice to not be a lemming. No offense to those using the sony's and senn's!
http://www.gradolabs.com/frameset_main.htm

Oops, my recommendation wouldn't be a good fit for DJ use. Nevermind.
I second that. They rock though I broke mine :cry:

I'd get something else for djing though.

I picked up a pair of Sennheiser HD something or others for about 60 bucks in NYC last fall because mine broke and I was on the road. I can't remember the exact model off hand though.
3ghz Pentium 4 (Prescott), XP Sp2, 1gig Ram, Dual Monitor with Matrox Millenium, MOTU Traveler, Event EZ8 Adat card. Also IBM THinkpad t40 1.6 1 gig ram

mikemc
Posts: 5454
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2004 2:14 pm
Location: Maryland USA
Contact:

Post by mikemc » Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:12 pm

I got a pair sennheiser HD212pro for about 60 bucks, they are closed phones, pretty comfortable. not real rugged, tho.

Sales Dude McBoob
Posts: 2840
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2004 9:34 pm
Location: Durham, NC. USA
Contact:

Post by Sales Dude McBoob » Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:19 pm

If you have $200 get the HD25. You have $40. In this case I would get the ATH-M20 from Audio Technica.

Sartori
Posts: 78
Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2005 9:12 am

Post by Sartori » Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:46 pm

I have a pair of cheap (20 quid, so about 30-40 dollars) JVC phones, it says HA-D570D on the side but I have no idea what that means. Super comfortable for long periods of time, and good for rock/metal stuff. I don't do much in the way of electronic music most of the time, but I have two pairs of these in case one breaks. Lovely for cheap phones!

stinky
Posts: 1182
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2005 1:06 am

Post by stinky » Thu Aug 17, 2006 2:40 am

The Talented Mr Stinky.

Live Racks Abe-Wiki

infuzion
Posts: 32
Joined: Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:08 pm
Location: Earth,USA,CO,Denver
Contact:

Post by infuzion » Thu Aug 17, 2006 2:50 am

stinky wrote:dude, you're in luck...


http://cgi.ebay.com/Sony-MDR-Z700-V700- ... dZViewItem
Dude, I don't you read my post, but let me be more clear: those Sonys & many others w/plastic swivels like that WILL break, usually in months. At the DJ record store I worked at, we broke 7 of the Sony DJ700s in like 3 months. In summery, they're crap :)
But, if someone never left the house w/them, & never droped them, kept them enclosed in foam, they'd be great.
Say hi at my MySpace space

stinky
Posts: 1182
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2005 1:06 am

Post by stinky » Thu Aug 17, 2006 2:56 am

infuzion wrote:
stinky wrote:dude, you're in luck...


http://cgi.ebay.com/Sony-MDR-Z700-V700- ... dZViewItem
Dude, I don't you read my post, but let me be more clear: those Sonys & many others w/plastic swivels like that WILL break, usually in months. At the DJ record store I worked at, we broke 7 of the Sony DJ700s in like 3 months. In summery, they're crap :)
But, if someone never left the house w/them, & never droped them, kept them enclosed in foam, they'd be great.
Yep, you're right.. i missed the last line in your post. But, i've never had a problem with these... it's when you let others use them that you get problems (especially the inexperienced shoppers), which is what you would experience at a store... I've had mine for years, and never broke em.. I think they rock, but to each his own...

I just wanted to add that... I think the fact that they ARE cheap, and they sound great for the price makes it more appealing than buying $180 pair of headphones that you may lose, break, get STOLEN, whatever. I don't think there's anything wrong them, especially because they're cheap... you don't have to worry as much...
The Talented Mr Stinky.

Live Racks Abe-Wiki

lord toranaga
Posts: 252
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2004 12:46 am
Location: New Orleans

Post by lord toranaga » Thu Aug 17, 2006 4:05 am

these sound "good"

and at $10 very replaceable

http://www.zzounds.com/item--BEHHPM1000
Peace & Love, Lord Toranaga

SubFunk
Posts: 7853
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 3:41 pm
Location: A Big Toilet Called Berlin
Contact:

Post by SubFunk » Thu Aug 17, 2006 8:16 am

anything in your pricerange by sennheiser or AKG is a smart choice.

DJ VAKIS
Posts: 2084
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2004 7:26 am
Location: MUNICH-GERMANY
Contact:

Post by DJ VAKIS » Sat Aug 19, 2006 10:56 am

I have just got the Sennheiser HD 25-1, very good sound.
For 159Euro
http://www.myspace.com/djvakis
http://mix2r.fm/audio/user/221


----------------------------------------
MacBookPro 13" Core 2 Duo 2.26Ghz 2GB
Live 8 -Operator -Sampler
AKAI LPD8-GENELEC 1029A-iPhone runing TouchOSC.

Post Reply