making a new scene contain fader, pan and other settings?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
pixel

making a new scene contain fader, pan and other settings?

Post by pixel » Thu Aug 17, 2006 1:37 pm

dear forum,

is there an easy way to have a new scene in a song (session view) contain not just a new tempo (by naming the scene i.e. 125BPM), but also new fader, pan and speaker on/off settings?

sorry for this newbie question and thanks in advance,

pixel

hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Thu Aug 17, 2006 3:44 pm

Absolutely!

Do a search for Dummy Clips. You can do what you want and lots more.

pixel

Post by pixel » Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:58 pm

thanks for your reply :-)

is it possible for you explain the more simple stuff?

i have 2 different songs put into 1 .als document.

the first song/scene is 110 BPM.
track 1 is muted.
track 2 has the volume turned all the way down.

the next song/scene is 120 BPM.
i want track 1 to have the volume set to 0 db.
i want track 2 to be muted.

how could i have live change those parameters for me when i launch the new scene?

hope it's okay that ask this..

thanks

-pixel

John Sweet

Post by John Sweet » Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:36 pm

You have to assign the Live functions to CCs/note values for control, then record/draw those into the dummy clip, then feed the MIDI info from the dummy clip thru MIDI loopback software (like Apple's IAC driver or MIDIYoke for PC) or a physical MIDI loop (cable from MIDI out to MIDI in).

Live then treats the MIDI it's playing back in the dummy clip as an external control source because it's coming from the outside.

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:16 am

ps.

there are some other ways of doing this that may be simpler than setting up midi feedback and using dummy clips.

i.e. you want track 2 to be muted (=stop playing) in scene 2 ----

just put an empty clip slot there, and when that scene is fired, the playback on that track will stop (don't remove the clip stop button from that slot)

volume changes could be done on a per-clip basis, rather than using the track fader -

i.e. copy the track 1 scene 1 clip to track 1 scene 2, put both in legato mode if necessary, and adjust the individual clip gains to achieve the difference in volume which you're after.

fancier things, like the panning, etc. - then check out the midi control clip concept

pixel

unfortunately my request is not possible..

Post by pixel » Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:16 pm

hi there,

thanks for all the replies!

what i want to do is unfortunately not possible..

when i found out how to do the dummy clips i discovered that sending a mute on message to have a certain setting in a scene is just an on or off message. this won't work for me, when i play i might reach to this scene with the mute button on or perhaps off. that means that i will not know if the dummy clips will give me the setting i want or the opposite.

keep up the good forum :-)

-pixel
Macbook 1.83 GHz w. 2GB RAM - Fireface 400 - Micromodul LV2x2 - ESI midi mate - Os 10.6.6. - Live 8.2.1