mac users... what version are you using?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
scotty

mac users... what version are you using?

Post by scotty » Fri Sep 05, 2003 5:37 am

So I upgraded to Live 2 a while back but didn't have any time to poke about with it until recently. So I am seriously behind on versions and need your help. The latest version of Live I have installed on my 333mhz g3 powerbook (os9.1) is 2.0.1 but it isn't working out so well... If I want to record audio in I find myself reaching for v1.5 instead (because it works). What version should I be using?

Also, I may be picking up an iBook or a tiBook in the near future and may consider moving to osx. Could a bunch of you mac users let me know what machine, what version of os, and what version of Live that you are using?

many thanks!
scotty

tribalogical

Post by tribalogical » Fri Sep 05, 2003 6:03 am

Quicksilver 867Mhz (1.5Ghz ram, dual 80Gb HD, one dedicated to audio/data), osX.2.6, Live 2.1.2... audio/midi interface: Tascam US-428.

All is working beautifully here.... especially when rewiring to Reason, Cubase SX and Logic... wild how flawless everything is...

There are bugs reported here and there, but none have affected me yet (other than the occasional VST plugin glitch, but who knows what's responsible there).

I'm readying to go mobile here as well. I'm waiting just a tad longer to see if the new 15" PB are coming, and how the features compare. If it takes much longer, I may just leap onto a TiBook 1Ghz, and stop my suffering :)

peace,

tribalogical

Beatworld

My 2 cents

Post by Beatworld » Fri Sep 05, 2003 7:18 am

I have AGP/Digital audio single G4 533 with 9.2.2/1.12Gb RAM and Live 2.1.2 works well for me too...by itself and ReWired to Cubase VST 5.2pb1, recording 24 bit audio via a MOTU 2408.....using VST FX like Waves, TC Powercore....

Altho it really shouldn't be an issue.....I find Live is a reasonably heavy cpu/RAM hog (subject to the number of clips, tracks FX etc being used) and therefore wonder just how the G3 333 is coping.

Anyway, good luck

Re: My 2 cents

Post by Guest » Fri Sep 05, 2003 9:57 pm

Beatworld wrote: Altho it really shouldn't be an issue.....I find Live is a reasonably heavy cpu/RAM hog (subject to the number of clips, tracks FX etc being used) and therefore wonder just how the G3 333 is coping.
Well it's not the most powerful but I still have fun and get inspired! I use 16 bit for my clips. I have never tested it formally but I think I can get around 8 stereo tracks going and then a few fx. I usually seem to have one instance of frohmage, camel phat, and filter delay going... possibly a couple others but that's really the upper limit for me... things get sluggish and non-interactive at that point. I could try a more formal test tonight if you would like. Anyway it looks like I should get the latest version (makes sense!) and install that.

As for that live show where I plan to incorporate Live... I will be purchasing a new (and more powerful) iBook or powerbook for the occassion. I'll run Live on the new machine and expect performance to be a bit better than my current machine! My current 333mhz powerbook will then be used for Unity.

Thanks for the input,
scotty

p.s. any others?

generic

Post by generic » Sat Sep 06, 2003 12:27 am

Powerbook G4 667
OS 10.2.6
Digidesign Mbox
Live 2.1.2

i had lots of trouble when i used os9 and live 1.5. but my current set-up works great.

scotty

Post by scotty » Sat Sep 06, 2003 1:29 am

tribalogical wrote: I'm readying to go mobile here as well. I'm waiting just a tad longer to see if the new 15" PB are coming, and how the features compare. If it takes much longer, I may just leap onto a TiBook 1Ghz, and stop my suffering :)
tell me about it. I'm holding out for the new powerbooks. I would very much like the current 1Ghz pb, but I can't afford it! Was hoping that after new pbs hit I could pick up the 1Ghz for below 2 grand (or if there is some newer cooler option for the same cost I could go for that). Currently I can only afford the 867mhz. When I do bite the bullet (because of deadlines) and decide I might as well buy the 867 then _of course_ a week later the new pbs will come out and I will have missed out. inevitable I tell you. Anyway I guess I'll hold out until this paris expo thing on the 15th, but will have to buy very soon afterwords as I need something for a show in december! yikes.

-scotty

jamm

Post by jamm » Sat Sep 06, 2003 12:59 pm

If you want to pick up an earlier version g4 powerbook take the g4/500
it has 1mb/level 2cache this powerbook is faster than the g4/667 which
has 256kb/level 2 cache.

I use 2.1 rewired with reason and it works with no problems.

I wish it was a bit faster. Reverbs are no (realtime)option. You can use them but you have to render to disk every time Lets hope
for some altivec optimalisation.

Greetinz Jamm..

rand

Post by rand » Sat Sep 06, 2003 2:14 pm

I'm running
OSX 10.2.6,
LIVE 2.1.2
PowerMac 733
RME Hammerfall 9652
Atto SCSI Disc Raid
1.2 gig ram
etc...

LIVE 2.1.2 runs ok...
There are many issues but overall I loveee this ap.

My 2 biggest complaints are:
1. LIVE is the slowest performance ap I have...
It really needs Altivec & OSX optimizations as a billion folk have complained about... I can't get above 8 tracks with a few plugs! Really annoying is when LIVE actually slows down its tempo when the cpu use is up!! Argh. I hate to whine...

Ableton says it will require a major audio engine rewrite to add Altivec, etc... They really want it too but say it will 'probably' happen in LIVE 4.0+..

2. OS X CoreAudio activates ALL i/o channels ALL the time... (ASIO OS9 does not...) This means I get better performance using my 2 channel motherboard outputs then my 28 chahannel RME by far! Bummer...
(BTW, 10.2.6 really improved audio over the earlier versions...)

Hopefully OSX 10.3 Panther will improve things with CoreAudio and overall system speed. (Oh, and so will a G5.)
rrRand

muser

Re: mac users... what version are you using?

Post by muser » Sun Sep 07, 2003 1:18 am

scotty wrote:Could a bunch of you mac users let me know what machine, what version of os, and what version of Live that you are using?

many thanks!
scotty
Powerbook G4 12" 867Mhz
640MB RAM
Mac OS 10.2.6
Live 2.1.2

Alex Reynolds

Re: mac users... what version are you using?

Post by Alex Reynolds » Sun Sep 07, 2003 7:12 am

scotty wrote:Could a bunch of you mac users let me know what machine, what version of os, and what version of Live that you are using?

many thanks!
scotty
Powerbook G4 15" 800 MHz
768 MB RAM
Mac OS 10.2.6
Live 2.1.2

Cheers,
Alex

Per Boysen

Post by Per Boysen » Sun Sep 07, 2003 1:36 pm

Dual G5. Should be here any day now :-D.
Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
http://www.perboysen.com

xydeas@yahoo.de

Post by xydeas@yahoo.de » Sun Sep 07, 2003 4:15 pm

Powerbook 1Ghz/1GB
Mac OS X 10.2.6
Ableton Live 2.1.2
Edirol UA 5 Audio
Oxygen 8
B4 Organ
Moog Modular V
Stratocaster Guitar (1973)

Works all very well and with lot of Fun:-)

xydeas@yahoo.de

Post by xydeas@yahoo.de » Sun Sep 07, 2003 4:18 pm

My (Fender) Stratocaster Guitar is real (!) not virtual! hehe

Credo

Post by Credo » Sun Sep 07, 2003 7:09 pm

TiBook 500
1 Gb Ram
Live 2.11 (yes I know there is a 2.12)
Rewired to Reason 2.5

I recorded 10 trax simultaneously from Reason to live - no problem. I can play them too as long as I dont use the heavy effects.

C

Alex Reynolds

Post by Alex Reynolds » Sun Sep 07, 2003 11:44 pm

Per Boysen wrote:Dual G5. Should be here any day now :-D.
Lucky, lucky. Let us know the test results!

-Alex