UC-33 -----

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Use

UC-33 -----

Post by Use » Fri Sep 05, 2003 8:17 am

anyone here used one with live? got comments, good or bad, I am planning on purchasing one so plz give me your words of advise

evolution uc-33

The Hulk

Post by The Hulk » Fri Sep 05, 2003 1:12 pm

It's very easy to set up and has a great feel. I'd say it's the best mixing controller to get with Live. On one track you can be controlling volume, pan, and send effects. I'd say it's 8 track limitation is better live because you can focus more on those 8 tracks. I'd get lost if I was using that 32 fader JL cooper minithing.

scott

Post by scott » Fri Sep 05, 2003 1:36 pm

I'm using one, too, and I like it. Having 8 tracks is plenty for me, since my sets are improvised. I find that if I have more than 4 tracks running at any given time, the sounds gets a bit muddy. It an inexpensive controller, and works great with Live. I have each channel strip set up to control volume (the slider) and sends 1, 2, and 3 (the knobs). The master slider controls master volume, which I need to tweak occasionally to avoid clipping.

I could map the buttons to something, but I haven't needed to, so far.

pixelpunk

great!!!

Post by pixelpunk » Fri Sep 05, 2003 1:42 pm

its a great controller!!!i am using it for live-acts and it never let me down. and: its midi-interface is very tight for syncing 2 laptops with live!
:D

evoid

Post by evoid » Fri Sep 05, 2003 3:49 pm

hey all,

i've just ordered one with live 2 (and a t shirt hehe), and my question is...

how is the feel of the faders and knobs? :D

got something to do with nord modular knobs (in ex.) ?

thanks,
evoid
------------------------------------------
www.monocromatica.com/elasticvoid
------------------------------------------

scott

Post by scott » Fri Sep 05, 2003 3:53 pm

It's a cheap controller. You're not going to find anything like the quality of the Nord Modular's knobs. That being said, it's entirely functional, and in the heat of perfromance, I can't say that the knob quality has every bothered me.

One thing that I plan to do with mine is put a little daub of glow paint or the like on the position indicators of the knobs (i.e. the little triangles), since they are hard to see at a moment's glance. The lit faders are totally cool, though, as is the blue LCD for the main display.

evoid

Post by evoid » Fri Sep 05, 2003 4:03 pm

ok i could imagine that :wink:

the fluorscent paint idea seems useful, maybe i'll do that to mine too!

i'm using a tascam 428 right now to control reason and other stuff, but the faders are not so good has i expected.. then again, it's a kind of cheap controller too. can you compare the fader quality to that one?

thanks scott

scott

Post by scott » Fri Sep 05, 2003 4:13 pm

Fader quality is about the same. On the positive tip, since it's such a cheap controller, you don't have to be paranoid that something might happen to it. Back when I used to gig with a Nord Modular, I would totally freak if anyone got within arm's reach of it, especially if they were carrying a drink.

evoid

Post by evoid » Fri Sep 05, 2003 4:44 pm

i see what your saying about the modular, i gig with one for some years now. quite stable red devil eheh :twisted:
http://www.ruigato.info
Live Suite 8b16
MacBook Pro 2.4ghz / 4 Gig RAM / 7200 rpm - Quad Q6600 / 8 Gig RAM - OsX 10.5.6
RME Fireface 400 - Jazzmutant Lemur - Nord Modular - Mercurial STC 1000
Reaktor 4 - Reason - Max/MSP 5.0.6

scott

Post by scott » Fri Sep 05, 2003 4:46 pm

I've been enjoying laptop + quattro + uc-33 as my live rig. It's portable, easy to set up, and I can work on music almost anywhere. I'm really tempted to add a Machinedrum to the rig, but then I'd have to bring cables and a mixer, and I'm not sure I want to that.

Use

Post by Use » Fri Sep 05, 2003 10:19 pm

thanks alot for the feedback, my uc-33 should be here next week.
I'm looking forward to workin it and setting it up for live improv.

also I work mainly off my laptop. I am looking for either firewire or usb audio interface that has atleast 7 XLR inputs, if anyone has an idea let me know. THe only one i've found is the ESI Hexafire thats firewire and 8/8 xlr, but it wont be available until the end of the year. (all these xlr's are for my 7 piece drummic kit)

milka

Post by milka » Sun Sep 07, 2003 1:00 am

Ho do you mute/solo tracks using US-33?