Windows Vista or hasta la vista?

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
tomperson
Posts: 1018
Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2004 11:55 am
Location: MVD, Uruguay, South America
Contact:

Windows Vista or hasta la vista?

Post by tomperson » Thu Aug 24, 2006 6:02 pm

All I've read about vista so far are far from good news. Today I came across another bad article:

http://www.toptechnews.com/story.xhtml? ... 10083YRM69

I don't know you, but i'm quite satisfied with XP, why would we (audio users) need a technology change?
Turn up the radio. Turn up the tape machine. Look into the sunset up ahead. Roll the windows down for a better taste of the cool desert wind. Ah yes. This is what it's all about. Total control now.

redglass
Posts: 396
Joined: Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:43 am
Location: Berlin
Contact:

Re: Windows Vista or hasta la vista?

Post by redglass » Thu Aug 24, 2006 7:07 pm

tomperson wrote:All I've read about vista so far are far from good news. Today I came across another bad article:

http://www.toptechnews.com/story.xhtml? ... 10083YRM69

I don't know you, but i'm quite satisfied with XP, why would we (audio users) need a technology change?
In a way, I agree with you, but Vista will be a 64 bit system, drivers will be made for 64 bit, than we have to change hard-and software to be up2date.

But, as long as your our music sounds good, there is no reason to change, isn't?

We will see, microsoft will need their time to fix vista, for sure

Greetings Bastian

marsh240sx
Posts: 74
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2005 5:17 pm
Location: Altamonte Springs, FL
Contact:

Post by marsh240sx » Thu Aug 24, 2006 7:14 pm

will just have to wait for SP2 or SP3 before its right, just like all their other products. :?
Ableton 6.10 on PC; Delta 44 sound card;
Intel Core 2 Duo 1.86ghz; 1gig DDR2 800; 120gig 7200 8meg SATA150 WD and 300gig 7200 16meg SATA300 Seagate; MSI 975X Platinum V.2 MB; UC-33e; Korg Kontrol 49

tomperson
Posts: 1018
Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2004 11:55 am
Location: MVD, Uruguay, South America
Contact:

Re: Windows Vista or hasta la vista?

Post by tomperson » Thu Aug 24, 2006 7:27 pm

MrMoneypenny wrote:
tomperson wrote:All I've read about vista so far are far from good news. Today I came across another bad article:

http://www.toptechnews.com/story.xhtml? ... 10083YRM69

I don't know you, but i'm quite satisfied with XP, why would we (audio users) need a technology change?
In a way, I agree with you, but Vista will be a 64 bit system, drivers will be made for 64 bit, than we have to change hard-and software to be up2date.

But, as long as your our music sounds good, there is no reason to change, isn't?

We will see, microsoft will need their time to fix vista, for sure

Greetings Bastian
Indeed, you're right in that respect (64bit computing). Nevertheless, I don't see what in the world could justify needing 700MB of RAM just for the OS when XP does just what I need it to do, and it requires something like 350 MB at most. I don't need fancier stuff, just an O/S that does what it's supposed to do (provide basic services and functionality for my apps to run) and then gets out of the way. If you ask me, Vista seems to be bloatware---the last thing we need whan making music or anything creative at all.

It seems we will have to wait some 12/18 months before things start to look clearer...don't you think?
Turn up the radio. Turn up the tape machine. Look into the sunset up ahead. Roll the windows down for a better taste of the cool desert wind. Ah yes. This is what it's all about. Total control now.

glu
Posts: 2769
Joined: Thu May 19, 2005 12:27 am

Post by glu » Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:40 pm

my vote,

hasta la vista.....
no prevailing genre of music:
http://alonetone.com/glu

gomi
Posts: 1132
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2005 8:29 pm
Location: earth

Post by gomi » Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:01 pm

marsh240sx wrote:will just have to wait for SP2 or SP3 before its right, just like all their other products. :?
vista is sp3.

Maneco
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:20 pm

Post by Maneco » Fri Aug 25, 2006 12:54 am

windows 2000 is better for audio

jamester
Posts: 1272
Joined: Sun Jun 04, 2006 7:43 am
Location: Baltimore, MD

Post by jamester » Fri Aug 25, 2006 3:58 am

hasta la vista

I never thought I'd say this, but I'm hoping to get a new dual-core laptop in the next six months or so, load it up and keep it that way for a looong time.

Usually I'm excited about new technology, but not with OS's. And XP has been fine for me, no complaints really other than internet hijinks. My next system will be offline, and it should be rock-frickin'-solid.

Long live XP! :)
Purrrfect Audio PC by Jim Roseberry
Edirol UA-1000, Korg PadKontrol, Dynaudio BM 5A's
REAPER, Live, Sound Forge

eddit
Posts: 81
Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:59 am
Location: Munich, Germany

Post by eddit » Fri Aug 25, 2006 8:42 am

Absolutely agree. Back in the day my first audio PC was running Windows 98 SE, and it was as stable as anything. It really took some convincing to move on to XP.

Of course now days I am rocking the Powerbook :)

I guess you might want to upgrade to Vista if you actually want a slick OS UI, and how about a dopeass system search, that allows you to *spotlight* those files you are looking for instantly ;) It's mentioned often, but I just can't believe how useful it is. It completely changes the way you can use the filesystem.

musick
Posts: 539
Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2004 4:30 pm
Location: This part of the Galaxy

Post by musick » Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:55 am

My next PC will be a Mac :)
MacPro, Synthesizers.com modular, Logic Studio, RME FireFace 400, Waves, Live 8/Ableton Suite/Drum Machines/M4L, MaxMSP, MoogerFoogers

robin
Posts: 2141
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2004 2:43 pm
Location: UK

Post by robin » Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:02 am

musick wrote:My next PC will be a Mac :)
My next Mac is more or less a PC :)

rsagevik
Posts: 321
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2004 7:54 pm
Location: Norway

Post by rsagevik » Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:04 am

agree with jamester here..
Also planning to get a dual core thing and probably run XP for a long time.
I`m perfectly hppy with XP, it has been stable as hell for me.

apart from computer upgrades I`ll rather spend my money on the next
Live version (and other fun sotfware), than going for vista and having
trouble with drivers etc. for (most likely) some time.

however.. the mac bootcamp option could be a nice way to go also..
to get the best of both worlds

R.

redglass
Posts: 396
Joined: Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:43 am
Location: Berlin
Contact:

Re: Windows Vista or hasta la vista?

Post by redglass » Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:43 pm

tomperson wrote:
MrMoneypenny wrote:
tomperson wrote:All I've read about vista so far are far from good news. Today I came across another bad article:

http://www.toptechnews.com/story.xhtml? ... 10083YRM69

I don't know you, but i'm quite satisfied with XP, why would we (audio users) need a technology change?
In a way, I agree with you, but Vista will be a 64 bit system, drivers will be made for 64 bit, than we have to change hard-and software to be up2date.

But, as long as your our music sounds good, there is no reason to change, isn't?

We will see, microsoft will need their time to fix vista, for sure

Greetings Bastian
Indeed, you're right in that respect (64bit computing). Nevertheless, I don't see what in the world could justify needing 700MB of RAM just for the OS when XP does just what I need it to do, and it requires something like 350 MB at most. I don't need fancier stuff, just an O/S that does what it's supposed to do (provide basic services and functionality for my apps to run) and then gets out of the way. If you ask me, Vista seems to be bloatware---the last thing we need whan making music or anything creative at all.

It seems we will have to wait some 12/18 months before things start to look clearer...don't you think?
ya, I agree. I forget to say, that there is a XP 64 bit version, so it is indded not necessary to get Vista...

greetings Bastian

djsynchro
Posts: 7471
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2005 9:06 pm
Location: Amsterdam, Netherlands
Contact:

Post by djsynchro » Mon Sep 04, 2006 11:01 pm

Someone in the Live 5 performance test had it running on Vista beta and said it was awesome for audio, only needs 2 tweaks. Go have a look. I'm interested. XP is getting old.

sqook
Posts: 2430
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2004 8:14 pm
Location: Sweden
Contact:

Post by sqook » Mon Sep 04, 2006 11:10 pm

Also, for those who are interested, paul thurott has a good review of the most recent vista beta. Looks like MS has since fixed many of the problems described in the original poster's review.

Post Reply