Live 6 versus SX 3.1 sound quality test

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
leisuremuffin

Post by leisuremuffin » Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:27 am

MrYellow wrote:Your test is flawed.
silence is what you'd expect to hear.
No it's not. I expect to here the different in the artifacts produced by the
effect (warping) that was applied in both apps.

This is 100% expected and logical.

What you need to do is a simple mix, no warping, no effects just wav files
playing back at their original pitch and speed. THEN you will result in silence
no matter what DAW you use. As long as panlaw is accounted for.

-Ben

uhhh, maybe you should read this (that is on the same page as your reply, BTW):
Tarekith wrote:Ok, I modified the test. This time, I rendered all tracks in my loop as seperate audio files. That way I'd be working with the exact same files in both programs, and no plug ins would be involved. Then, I dragged these audio files into both a new Live Session, and new Cubase Project. All settings were equal and the defaults. Rendered in both apps into 24/44.2 mixdowns.

The mixdown were then compared in SX with one tracks polarity reversed again. This time the result was total silence. Nothign showing on inspector either, they cancelled completely. Tried my rewire experiment too, same results, total cancellation when compared to either the SX or Live render. I won't post the files unless someone really wants to hear them :) No need as there's nothing to hear.

Ok, so any sound differences aren't down to the mix bus, so it must just be the fact you need to use warping in Live to work, or maybe Live's plug ins? Hmmm, interesting again....
TimeableFloat ???S?e?n?d?I?n?f?o

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed Oct 04, 2006 2:13 am

difference wrote:You were trying to do a comparison with all the same settings etc but you used Live's own plug-ins on one of the files? :?
Live's plug ins were 'live' in the Live project, but part of the rendered audio in used in the SX project. Moot anyway as that test was flawed and redone correctly if you'd read further down the thread before replying.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

MrYellow

Post by MrYellow » Wed Oct 04, 2006 7:17 am

Like I could be bothered reading the whole thread the 1001st time it's been brought up.

-Ben

mercyplease

Post by mercyplease » Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:26 am

MrYellow wrote:Like I could be bothered reading the whole thread the 1001st time it's been brought up.

-Ben
:roll: Then dont reply if you have only half the information. Taraketh did a good job here even if his first test was flawed. He listened to bob heinke and off he went and performed a more accurate test PROVING to himself and the forum that Lives mix engine is AA OK. I had no doubt but its still cool to see some evidence. taraketh should be applauded rather than lambasted by pitiful loners.
This thread did prove one thing to me though. very few people here take the time to read what someone is actually saying. Huge post count members are the prime culprits of this lazy practice and on this thread one or two is asking whats happening! after taraketh performed his second test and got the result he was looking for. How dumb are these mega count posters (you included).
And some wonder why many in this forum piss me off. Maybe Just maybe this forum lost balance and intelligent debate when the mega posters took over and decided the rules.
HA HA HA :twisted:

dj superflat

Post by dj superflat » Wed Oct 04, 2006 6:40 pm

this is a great thread, makes me happy, thx for the work tareketh.

as for being surprised that people don't really read very well -- ummmmm, took you this long to figure it out? sorry, not trying to be obnoxious, but it's pretty clear there's all sorts of folk here who rarely read much, and understand even less.

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Wed Oct 04, 2006 7:00 pm

mercyplease wrote: And some wonder why many in this forum piss me off. Maybe Just maybe this forum lost balance and intelligent debate when the mega posters took over and decided the rules.
hey this forum is self moderating.

if a 'megaposter' is being an asshole then the community will band together and let that be known.

nobody here decides the rules. you decide as much as the top 20 posters do by continuing your contribution and for that matter personally speaking i read through the whole post and the only time i dont read through every post is OT threads which i am sure many skim through as well since theres only so much of our own bullshit we can take.

Ralf

Post by Ralf » Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:15 am

Tarekith wrote:Ok, I modified the test ... This time the result was total silence. Nothign showing on inspector either, they cancelled completely.
Ok, so any sound differences aren't down to the mix bus ...
Tarekith,

I tell you a little secret: Andreas is sitting in front of me and smiling.
Thank you for the great job.

Ralf

PS. ancient german saying: talking is silver, measuring is gold.
Ralf Suckow
suckow@ableton.com

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:06 am

I agree Ralf :) Now maybe we can talk about the render versus resample issue? Privately if you prefer, less noise :)
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

forge

Post by forge » Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:29 am

mercyplease wrote:
MrYellow wrote:Like I could be bothered reading the whole thread the 1001st time it's been brought up.

-Ben
:roll: Then dont reply if you have only half the information. Taraketh did a good job here even if his first test was flawed. He listened to bob heinke and off he went and performed a more accurate test PROVING to himself and the forum that Lives mix engine is AA OK. I had no doubt but its still cool to see some evidence. taraketh should be applauded rather than lambasted by pitiful loners.
This thread did prove one thing to me though. very few people here take the time to read what someone is actually saying. Huge post count members are the prime culprits of this lazy practice and on this thread one or two is asking whats happening! after taraketh performed his second test and got the result he was looking for. How dumb are these mega count posters (you included).
And some wonder why many in this forum piss me off. Maybe Just maybe this forum lost balance and intelligent debate when the mega posters took over and decided the rules.
dude, do you ever actually think about any thing at all before you post, or do you just think "what can I moan about" and then say it?

Apart from myself, the 2 biggest "mega-posters" are Hoffman2k and Machinate and anyone here will tell you they are the biggest contributors around when it comes to Live - I might lower my signal to noise ratio by talking shit as well as Live stuff, but those 2 dudes dont and pretty much all of their post are about Live and usually bloody clever stuff

AOnline

Post by AOnline » Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:01 pm

mercyplease wrote:

-Ben
Myabe a bit too quickly to reply so bluntly... I am a newbee with music production and with Live, but I find these forums extremely handy! Loads of tips (esspecially by the mega posters... that show of a bit from time to time :wink: , but very usefull!!!), funny bullshit, etc etc... ok, sticking to the topic (Like what I am not doing right now) is not always the case, but is not really a problem.
Listen to tracks (Fully produced in Live) @ felixvanthiel.podomatic.com

AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800, MAudio Delta 1010LT, Ableton Live 6, Propellerhead Reason 3.0, Korg Kontrol 49, MicroKorg.