Is using macs just a trend?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
djc

Is using macs just a trend?

Post by djc » Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:44 pm

I see more and more people get them just because they think they are faster and so much better but its just the interface and look causing this trend to me. I was thinking about a imac not too long ago and I got caught in the trend but changed my mind. One thing that gets me is since bill gates is gone apple has been trying to make pc's look like crap. I thought about these intel macs and more people are buying those by a known fact the intel macs are faster then the hard core macs. I wouldn't talk about a company that gave me more sales. They are more expensive then pc's in the same range why? I'M NOT TRASHING MACS I LIKE THEM BUT DON'T UNDERSTAND THIS TREND. Kind of like to make a good song you need pro tools $$$$ when you can use your hands and mouth and a track recorder and BAM! I hope this doesn't start a pc vs mac battle. Please stick to the subject if you reply

YILA

Post by YILA » Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:53 pm

yes it is...

i have a dell, and it works just as well - its the soundcard thats important..i stuck a mac sticker over my fell badge to take the piss!
Scan i5 in the studio. Dual core Pc laptop, 13inch macbookpro,RME fireface 800,live 8.1,operator. drum machines Myspace Soundcloud Youtube Twitter

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:53 pm

The blue screen of death used to be a trend. Though i didn't find it very trendy myself ;)

Macs, pc's,..... Both computers. One kicks more ass then the other, but you can choose which :D

subterFUSE

Post by subterFUSE » Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:53 pm

Macs are not faster. Frankly, they never were. Maybe for like 2 seconds, many years ago, when the dual G4 processors were released.... they were faster. But the PC market has always moved faster, so any time Apple gained some performance edge.... they were quickly passed by.

I never purchased a Mac before because I always compared the technical specs, and found that PCs outperformed them pretty much across the board. This was particularly true with Ableton Live 4 & 5.

Now that Macs use Intel processors, there is not much difference between them and PCs.... except for the OS. Apple has finally caught back up to the PC market in terms of performance. So, at this point, now that the tech specs are closer.... I might consider an Apple computer. Although, I happen to like Windows XP just fine.

That's just me.

One thing, though. I have not looked too hard into it.... but I seem to remember reading that Apple prices have come down to be lower than Dell. This is good news, for sure.... if true.
M-Tech D900T laptop, 17" WSXGA+ wide-screen, Intel Pentium 4 3.4 GHz HT (600 series) 2 MB cache, 2048 RAM (Dual Channel DDR2 PC4200 533 MHz), Dual hard drives: 80 gig x 2 = 160 gig SATA 5400 rpm (RAID 0 config)
Korg Zero 8 mixer/soundcard/MIDI

subterFUSE

Post by subterFUSE » Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:57 pm

Oh.... here's another point.

I am very glad I always had PC computers growing up. Knowing how to use a PC, regardless if you like it or not, is essential. The business world is PC. Period. If you can't work a PC, you are useless in the business world.

Knowing how to use a Mac is just a extra bonus. :wink:
M-Tech D900T laptop, 17" WSXGA+ wide-screen, Intel Pentium 4 3.4 GHz HT (600 series) 2 MB cache, 2048 RAM (Dual Channel DDR2 PC4200 533 MHz), Dual hard drives: 80 gig x 2 = 160 gig SATA 5400 rpm (RAID 0 config)

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Fri Sep 01, 2006 3:07 pm

Miguex

Re: Is using macs just a trend?

Post by Miguex » Fri Sep 01, 2006 3:10 pm

What kind of question is that?

A computer is a tool, use it to make make music, not as a fashion accesory, this is not a pair of shoes.

Now go make some tunes!

:)

djc

Post by djc » Fri Sep 01, 2006 3:12 pm

thanks for the replies. I have a friend that got ripped off on buying a mac but he denies it. He got a g5 1.5 or 1.6ghz for an expensive price when he could have got a 2ghz imac about the same price. He got some free stuff but at the same time not the mac that would have been better for the price. I thinks his g5 is faster then my custom built xp pro d820 2.8ghz pc 80gb sata & 160gb ata. I told him he should have got at least a dual core model but he think his is fast regardless. He only uses garageband so no pops and clicks shouldn't be on something that came with the computer. This was my first pc I put together and i'm happy with. I also have a p4 ht 3.4ghz processor and motherboard but just went with the dual core with live 6 aroung the corner.

Sales Dude McBoob

Post by Sales Dude McBoob » Fri Sep 01, 2006 3:14 pm

iPods are a trend

Mac has always been the standard for professionals in media production

djc

Post by djc » Fri Sep 01, 2006 3:14 pm

hoffman2k you proved my point macs are using windows to gain customers but dawg windows at the same time.

justin

Post by justin » Fri Sep 01, 2006 3:14 pm

subterFUSE wrote:Oh.... here's another point.

I am very glad I always had PC computers growing up. Knowing how to use a PC, regardless if you like it or not, is essential. The business world is PC. Period. If you can't work a PC, you are useless in the business world.

Knowing how to use a Mac is just a extra bonus. :wink:
depends wot u do!

macs are mainly used in desktop publishing, graphics, and video.
there's also alot of macs in pro audio studios / film post-production and editing

subterFUSE

Post by subterFUSE » Fri Sep 01, 2006 3:15 pm

I guess to address your main question, though.....

are Macs a trend?

I don't know if I would call them a trend... because to me, a trend is short-lived. Apple has been around a long time, and has gained popularity. So calling it a trend isn't really accurate, as I see it.

But Apple does market itself as being "trendy."

They have always used guerilla marketing which targets PCs... making arguments like you see in the current TV campaign.

Example: Macs are more fun, because they make pictures and videos, and PC are for Pie Charts, and graphs.

Of course, this is a ridiculous claim.... because a PC is just as capable of working with video and pictures as a Mac. But the point is to create a brand image and link that with a younger and more cool viewpoint.

So Apple is definitly trying to be trendy, at least for promotional purposes.

djc

Post by djc » Fri Sep 01, 2006 3:21 pm

One good note I got him on ableton live 5. He had it with his imac g5 but uninstalled it cause he didn't know how to use it. He let his older brother hold his mac so he was over my house and I taught him how to use live and how good it is and now he is trying to find the ableton live disc he had.

buzzcock

Post by buzzcock » Fri Sep 01, 2006 3:25 pm

Computers are just a trend. In five years we'll all be using magical gnomes.
MBP C2D 2.33GHz---Metric Halo MIO 2882

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Fri Sep 01, 2006 3:26 pm

djc wrote:hoffman2k you proved my point macs are using windows to gain customers but dawg windows at the same time.
This all started many many years ago. It's not just because gates is gone.
Not everybody has a good experience with windows. You need to be a real geek to keep it clean and be able to surf the net at the same time.
Thats why apple has a stab at windows. Their current marketing compaign isn't even geared towards the average mac user like me.

If you're happy with microsoft, then stay with them. If you wonna see what all the fuzz is about macs, then try out osx.

Apple is trying to make microsoft obsolete. Google will help them...
But like 90% of the worlds computer users are still on windows. So they need to embrace and make a fool out of windows at the same time.
Currently there are 3 ways to run windows on an intel mac and 1 way to run windows applications without windows.
Rumor has it, that apple could be building this "whine" technology into the OS. Which would mean that a mac would run almost any application out there...