Is using macs just a trend?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
LOFA

Post by LOFA » Sat Sep 02, 2006 3:14 pm

subterFUSE wrote:Oh.... here's another point.

I am very glad I always had PC computers growing up. Knowing how to use a PC, regardless if you like it or not, is essential. The business world is PC. Period. If you can't work a PC, you are useless in the business world.

Knowing how to use a Mac is just a extra bonus. :wink:
We had a mac in 83. I loved it. Taught myself art with the paint program. Then my dad started getting all these PC's (to resell) and I learned them. I always missed the mac layout.

Anyway, I can use both and I strongly prefer OSX. I had my share of bluescreens. I grew up with a very miserable dad complaining about drivers and blue screens. (now I whine about drivers and midi)

Now I have a mac. It's really nice. I wouldn't trade it for a faster PC unless you paid me enough to buy it back. Seriously.

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Sat Sep 02, 2006 3:23 pm

Sales Dude McBoob wrote:iPods are a trend

Mac has always been the standard for professionals in media production
Yeah, Ipods are a trend and probably weakened the actualy computers cred

If you have a MAC you're probably like that one guy in the MAC VS PC commercials and drives a VW Passat or worse a BUG

If you have a PC you're probably like that one guy in the MAC VS PC commercials and drives a BMW

That's funny you brought this up - I was just talking to someone about moving into a trendy Condo above Pike Place Market...I was like "Yeah, if I move into those condo's I should probably get a MacBook so I can be ULTRA trendy"

either way - they're both computers and really just a means to an end

Computers aint shit if you aint got no skills

"Look at my fancy MAC / PC!"

"Oh cool, what you been making on it?"

"Oh nothing right now, not everything is Universal BInary (MAC) or it keeps crashing I'm getting a MAC (PC)"

"You should get a MPC then."

"Nah, I have ABleton."

"Oh"
Ableton | Elektron

Music

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sat Sep 02, 2006 3:24 pm

OK I have never bought a windows machine, but I know that developers do a lot of nice things in windows. For instance Energy XT, Phrazer, and Fruity loops can all be inserted in a VSTi track, which to me sounds a lot better than Rewire, (one song, one program to initially open), there are serious freeware developers on the PC side that make some really nice looking toys.
Leopard looks to be Apple's first OS that lacks any real innovation. Time machine is something that XP has had for years, Spaces is a Unix thing, Linux has had that for years.
Tiger was mind blowing for an audio nerd like me, ( you forgot about Network MIDI Hoffman! :) ), my feelings about Apple are directly related to what they bring me in terms of OS and hardware, at this moment, 10.4.7 is a POS, IMO, I've been waiting for an upgrade, seems like there's some sort of cache memory problem....

None of this makes me want to embrace XP, I simply don't like working in XP, and the fact that there are security holes that you need to watch out for bothers me. I tend to over work my machines, and it's possible that I have a simple USB problem that I'm thinking might be a virus, it's just one less thing I have to worry about. I'm just saying that XP has some great choices for audio geeks.
I'm just trying to be fair here, if you go to KVR and defend macs, you get a supreme ration of shit, I don't think the Ableton forums should be the place where you get a ration of shit for using XP. :?

subterFUSE

Post by subterFUSE » Sat Sep 02, 2006 3:31 pm

If you have a PC you're probably like that one guy in the MAC VS PC commercials and drives a BMW

Heh.

I'm a PC guy.... I'm not fat, and don't wear glasses... But I do drive BMWs, so you got me there. :lol: :wink:
M-Tech D900T laptop, 17" WSXGA+ wide-screen, Intel Pentium 4 3.4 GHz HT (600 series) 2 MB cache, 2048 RAM (Dual Channel DDR2 PC4200 533 MHz), Dual hard drives: 80 gig x 2 = 160 gig SATA 5400 rpm (RAID 0 config)
Korg Zero 8 mixer/soundcard/MIDI

pearsonart.com

Post by pearsonart.com » Sat Sep 02, 2006 3:53 pm

What I see is a lack of understanding.

Mac users are generally much more informed about Windows by necessity. They invariably use pcs at work, friend's houses or at public places like libraries etc. They decide to use macs based on personal experience.

On the other hand, many but not all, pc users have compared pc and mac only briefly and have a predetermined opinion. Look at the author of this thread.

Macs are not a trend but a longstanding preference to pcs for a significant minority of computer users who've tried both.

My own decision to use macs came after working as a system admin for a television station where I supported a network of 8 pcs, 2 linux boxes and 2 macs (including my own).

glu

Post by glu » Sat Sep 02, 2006 4:12 pm

pearsonart.com wrote:What I see is a lack of understanding.

Mac users are generally much more informed about Windows by necessity.
I have to disagree, I have plenty o' video head graduates- friends on macs with final cut, who are not very technically inclinded in the hardware world, I seem to know more about their computers than they do.

I would like a new mac, mainly because I forsee the future OS to be able to toggle btw OSX and XP without restarting, one of my bro's friends at stanford has already cracked the code to do this. PCs are physically ugly, the OS is ugly when you optimize it for best performance, there are more problems to solve on XP, and as stable as it is, I will never hook up the music computer to the internet, I won't take my lappy to school b/c of its weak construction, it sucks!

With the ability to run XP on a mac, the only thing I can see microsoft having over apple is more frequent CPU updates, but I guess only time will tell.

Both are great at doing different things. That's why there is more bang for the buck with apple, it can be either windows or OSX. I am just holding out to see what happens in the market for the next 6 months or so....

end/blah
no prevailing genre of music:
http://alonetone.com/glu

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Sat Sep 02, 2006 4:56 pm

I've had both - net result is the same

I prefer not to deal with Apple customer or technical support <-- that's kind of a deal breaker for me right there

even though I'm probably still going to get a Apple Macintosh laptop for no other reason than they look cool :) for real, I'm shallow like that
Ableton | Elektron

Music

glu

Post by glu » Sat Sep 02, 2006 5:15 pm

If everything else is at par, what's so bad about wanting an attractive looking laptop?

I don't think it's shallow, unless you think you will get play in your posh condo b/c your posh computer! :lol:
no prevailing genre of music:
http://alonetone.com/glu

john gordon

Post by john gordon » Sat Sep 02, 2006 5:16 pm

i have alot less problems since ive gone mac.i will never go back to pc.

D K

Post by D K » Sat Sep 02, 2006 5:19 pm

they all suck.
i'm going back to thumb harp.

knotkranky

Post by knotkranky » Sat Sep 02, 2006 5:21 pm

No shit. I miss the all hardware days.
:cry:

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Sat Sep 02, 2006 5:38 pm

knotkranky wrote:No shit. I miss the all hardware days.
They're coming back. Just in another form :wink:

frisbeedisk

Post by frisbeedisk » Sat Sep 02, 2006 6:01 pm

hoffman2k wrote:
knotkranky wrote:No shit. I miss the all hardware days.
Ahh the days where you had 3 atari falcons link together!!

ejectorset

Post by ejectorset » Sat Sep 02, 2006 6:05 pm

i mostly use hardware, no vstis or anything except for phatmatik pro. i use impulse sometimes to sketch out beats but our space has a rhodes, juno, nord, er-1, lots of hardware effects (though I use lots of audio unit effects too), a piano midi controller with hammer action keys, a roland rs-09 (just got it, love it), guitars, basses, etc.

hardware days aren't gone.

i use an ibook. i love it. i am stuck on a PC at work. its a dual-core dell. it is fast enough, and usually stable enough (though not anywhere near as stable as my ibook) but there are a lot of little productivity things that slow me way down when i am on a PC. i don't have spotlight, i dont have smart folders, i dont have quicksilver. its little details that should be in window's or at least available that just aren't. i always enjoy working on an apple (and have since we had an apple IIe when I was a kid and had them at school, etc). there are times i simply despise having to work on a PC 50+ hours a week.

its not a trend.

there are lots of times for lots of people like me (i art direct a magazine and work in photoshop, illustrator and indesign all day long every day) that i have to work extra (like coming in tomorrow and probably working labor day to meet a deadline) that is solely based on things in my workflow that are slower on a PC. things like placings lots of hi-res photos into indesign that i could make an automator script for on a mac and let it run in the background and get them where i need them, while i do other stuff, simply because i save them after they are pre-pressed into a certain folder.

instead of i am stuck with a very bad, slow, statusless drag+drop in windows that freezes the display until is complete (while i spend the whole time crossing my fingers that it doesn't crash and lose my files, again) even though i have a 2.8 gHz dual-core machine with 1 gig of ram. it takes minutes and locks me out of multi-tasking and wastes a lot of my time on a weekly basis.
13" 2.0 gHz core 2 duo macbook, live 6, korg poly 800 (w/ moog slayer mod), roland rs-09, rhodes mark 1A stage piano, mattel synsonics analog drum machine

hacktheplanet

Post by hacktheplanet » Sat Sep 02, 2006 7:50 pm

Yeah, Macs are just a trend, but the operating system is light years ahead of Windows. They won't be serious machines until you can run OS X on intel based hardwa-

OH WAIT YOU CAN