M-Audio Trigger Finger or Korg Pad Kontrol for live?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
intellijel

M-Audio Trigger Finger or Korg Pad Kontrol for live?

Post by intellijel » Sat Sep 02, 2006 3:53 pm

I am in the market to get an akai mpc style trigger array.

The Korg PadKontrol seems pretty flashy but also potentially gimicky. However, something about it makes me want to use it (which is often a good enough reason). I see potential with the dedicated touch pad but lack of knobs compared to the trigger finger may be downside (I could see those knobs being very useful to coordinate volume/velocity sensitivity of drum parts)

From what I can tell, most people find the trigger finger and pad kontrol to be very comparable. However, the Trigger Finger has a few more features and seems to be the preferred of the two.

What do you guys think? Anyone here tried both??

youngstar

Post by youngstar » Sat Sep 02, 2006 9:14 pm

I Would say Trigger Finger nice pace of drum pads in ur studio many more opations in ur hand then the korg !

LRG

Post by LRG » Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:35 am

I have a trigger finger and I dont have anything to bad to say about it. It does its job and the enigma software thAt it comes with is cool to once you get to know what it does and how it works I dont know about the Korg joint but I know the trigger finger is cool in my book.

stealth1

Post by stealth1 » Mon Oct 02, 2006 2:01 pm

Trigger finger defo. The korg has some nice features, but not as many controls. Oh, and I never did get to grips with the enigma software :roll:
ABLETON CERTIFIED TRAINER

http://www.myspace.com/stealth1sound

ejectorset

Post by ejectorset » Mon Oct 02, 2006 2:30 pm

i have a trigger finger. i had an mpc 2000 for years until i sold it last december to get a rhodes.

picked the trigger finger up like 2 months ago and its great. the pads are finally "broken in" (had to break the mpc pads in when it was new too) and i reworked the impulse preset i use to map the drums the way i used to have them on the mpc.

i can tell you as someone that played an mpc 2000 with the real pads everyday for almost 5 years, the trigger finger pads are just as nice.

all of the other features it has are amazing. its a really deep machine.
13" 2.0 gHz core 2 duo macbook, live 6, korg poly 800 (w/ moog slayer mod), roland rs-09, rhodes mark 1A stage piano, mattel synsonics analog drum machine

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Mon Oct 02, 2006 2:42 pm

I have both, and I prefer the PadKontrol for the MUUUCH better triggering, flash or no flash, the triggering is what's important.

If you want more info out of me I will refer to the 2-3 other threads that have been about the subject in the last week.
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

LRG

Trigger finger help

Post by LRG » Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:55 pm

I have a question for you trigger finger users. I do alot of my changes to the trigger finger inside enigma. I thought I heard somewhere that you can make some note changes ect. on the unit itself? Can anyone explai?

morphing

Post by morphing » Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:15 pm

I have a padKontrol and absolutely love it. I really didn't need any extra knobs and buttons so I chose it over the trigger finger.

The pads on this thing feel smooth as butter. The velocity sensitivity is perfect for the how I play it. Before this I had the first version AKAI mpd16 which I absolutely HATED. I had to slam the pads just to get a decent velocity value.