Dj Controller for ableton : ) !

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Dj-Grobe

Post by Dj-Grobe » Thu Sep 07, 2006 6:04 pm

hoffman2k thank you fo that words about brillian idea.

Well i really hoppe apple present multitouch screens soon, or any other company present that soon.
This no affetc my project, if this happen this intoudce a really benefit to the project !! :)

Imagine some company sell 15" mutitouch screen to lower price?
You can have on your hands the multitouch control, and my system its the engine : ) .................understand ?
So i really hoppe apple present multitouch lcds :) anywa if the make, that not are cheap for now, this take lot of time.

You can wait that happen on your chair, or can start use MonoTouchLive :) now, in few weeks... :)

About MAX/MSP sure, you can create anytghing you want......if you have knowledge and time you can.........or better!!
C++ you can build your own lemur too........
Just need time, knowledge and super big cafe machine : )

About sell project i no want be rich !! with this, all people involved on this project use lot of time on this, just for that this have a little price, but beilvme its suepr cheap.

Oh about monodeck, yea i want no one !! i want 2 units !! : ) but who can pay?
Just a few number of people.
Oh and i live in ARgentina, so if i decide buy anydevice how make?
Need send payment, pay a lot of shipping costs, pay a lot of money for customs!!!
Its ok but nly reduced numbe rof person can pay for all that!!

I play at this moment wth ouse and ableton, i not spend neverome one cent on real knobs or butons, because duration of that devices its really bad, when you make hard usage.
Tipical touchscreen live its 30 millions of touchs on sma epart, and i you sue SAW touchscreen you have absolutly durable device!

Want know why i start this project?
a little history:

Imagiane i want buy one product named X CONTOLLER
That its selled only in 3 stores around the world, the price its 2000U$ and i need ship that to my country Argentina.
I decide buy to USA
Shipping cost of that using UPS, FEDEX or DHL from usa, to my country cost about....300U$
So now the price its 2300 U$
Usually comanys no want accept payment form foreign countrys, so the only way its make expensive money order. you cna add 50 U$ for send 2000U$ to usa.
We have around 2350.00U$
When the device arrival to my cuntry i have to pay about 40% of local taxes importation, tax, etc etc etc
So that device when arrival to my hands have the super cost around 3270 dollars !!
I can pay for that, i are one of that luck boy can pay soething like that.
But lot of people NO, so i no are ROBIN HOOD, but start make some cheap solution for people cant pay for that........why not?

Anyway i not are the only one, i think around the globe another guys with time stay working on same like this.... and soon we have lot of choices.... That is the best point.

: )

Best regards.

Dj-Grobe

Post by Dj-Grobe » Thu Sep 07, 2006 6:18 pm

About "showtime apple"
I think we just see:

New ipod, the new imacs with super big screens, news core 2 duo presenattion on mcas, some wifi stream devices, etc etc.
I not think we see this year super multitouchscreens devices, possible only the ipod)

best regards.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Thu Sep 07, 2006 6:31 pm

Dj-Grobe wrote:About "showtime apple"
I think we just see:

New ipod, the new imacs with super big screens, news core 2 duo presenattion on mcas, some wifi stream devices, etc etc.
I not think we see this year super multitouchscreens devices, possible only the ipod)

best regards.
It's not so much about the touch screen. I'm waiting for Apple's software patents on multi touch OSX to be announced as one of those "secret features" that they talked about on WWDC.
We cant know if this will actually be the case. But a multitouch screen aimed at graphic designers doesn't sound like a very stupid idea to me.
Graphic designers will get high resolutions. Guess who could benefit from that?

Here's an example of one of the company's to watch. http://www.synaptics.com/onyx/

It's not on the market that phone. But that company did design the click wheel for the ipods....
And rumors about an apple phone have been popping up every 10 days..

But in the end, it's all rumors. There's just so much happening. It blows my mind....

Dj-Grobe

Post by Dj-Grobe » Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:38 pm

Its ok, imagine this company tomorrow launch multi touch screen, and OSX support, you think you can directly takecontrol of ableton?......i think no, or only with pen in your hands for have correct resolution.

That is my point......anyway you need some graphic interface for direct control .

I thnk when we have this screens, very soon, in the coming 1 or 2 years, ableton offer secodn screen fature and some lego custom layout creator : )

That is the future ableton !! : )

I NO want wait on my chair......

Best regards, and thanks to all for the points of views!

TonySoprano

Post by TonySoprano » Fri Sep 08, 2006 2:00 pm

Why not do it yourself mate? Your idea rocks and you clearly have an audience that is listening.
Check out my latest mix:-
http://www.mixdepot.net/OutOfMySystem

Dj-Grobe

Post by Dj-Grobe » Fri Sep 08, 2006 2:33 pm

I working now on multitouch system, and we have one working.
That system use the same technology jeff han showed here:

http://mrl.nyu.edu/~jhan/ftirtouch/

This technology its available now, but only its usefull for clubs, but not for mobile dj.

We have lot of project under development related to interface dj contollers and all for ableton.

At this moment the prority its portable system.
We already work on 2 touches with normal touchscreens, not more info from now for this, is very experimental.

yogz

Post by yogz » Fri Sep 08, 2006 3:06 pm

That system use the same technology jeff han showed here:
this system is brilliant, but it must be protected from lights otherwise... boom! :wink:
Live 7.0.14
Mac osX 10.5.6 ;

axou

Post by axou » Fri Sep 08, 2006 3:17 pm

+ it requires a dedicated computer to analyse gestures captured by the external camera...

Benshik

Post by Benshik » Fri Sep 08, 2006 3:45 pm

Dj-Grobe wrote:We have lot of project under development
by lots of projects under development you mean what? ideas scribbled on napkins all over your desk? ;)

i mean, look at all the work behind the Lemur, and its "only" one project...

talking about the Lemur, i used to really wonder how the hell such an innovative company can come out of Bordeaux, France. Well, after a quick research, i found out that lots of French hi-tech companies are based there, esp weapon companies!!! Since we know relatively few about Jazzmutant, you know, maybe... ;)
hehe, jus kiddin
Macbook 2.2ghz, OS 10.5.2, Focusrite Saffire, Microkontrol, Lemur

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Fri Sep 08, 2006 6:07 pm

Dj-Grobe

Post by Dj-Grobe » Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:28 pm

The camera system by Jeff, use very old technology, same concept its used in SAW touch screens, in biomedical aplications, and alrge amount of devices, etc etc etc.
SAW touchscreens availables from 1995 or 96 already use the same concept, just not use light, use acustc waves, but the concept its the same.
The concept no its new, they can patents gestures, but no this, its already covered by other patents, more olders.

Dj-Grobe

Post by Dj-Grobe » Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:32 pm

Based on the all post and large amount of mails people send, i decide publish more info, make pubic release date, presale price, price etc etc.
Anyway more info coming soon.

Dj-Grobe

Post by Dj-Grobe » Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:34 pm

Benshik wrote:
Dj-Grobe wrote:We have lot of project under development
by lots of projects under development you mean what? ideas scribbled on napkins all over your desk? ;)

i mean, look at all the work behind the Lemur, and its "only" one project...

talking about the Lemur, i used to really wonder how the hell such an innovative company can come out of Bordeaux, France. Well, after a quick research, i found out that lots of French hi-tech companies are based there, esp weapon companies!!! Since we know relatively few about Jazzmutant, you know, maybe... ;)
hehe, jus kiddin
Al the projects and ideas turn around have cheap, usefull, and atractive way to control ableton.
I are DJ and ableton user...........just that.

Regards !!

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:42 pm

There are loads of these patents. At least 15 from apple i'm sure off. They even detailed a little mixer :)

http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2006/02/ ... 3416.shtml
http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0, ... wn_index_6

Dj-Grobe

Post by Dj-Grobe » Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:15 pm

hoffman2k

They patenet little mixer, for that reaon i cant patent or create another mixer?

Lol that not its the reality, Apple can patent a fligh dog if they want, and i can make my dog flight using no more .50 cents ....my dogh flight too lol and i not broken that patent......

: )