Dj Controller for ableton : ) !

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:22 pm

I'm not saying you cant. I'm sure that jazzmutant wont mind your software neither ;)

Just pointing out to the readers of this thread some articles that are related to the topic.

Now refresh for the beta ;)

Dj-Grobe

Post by Dj-Grobe » Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:59 pm

Ah !! now undertand your point : )

iamabletonite

Post by iamabletonite » Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:46 pm

Yea, sorry guy, but your idea is obviously a blatant rip-off of the lemur. I mean, you didn't change the layout, or even the colors of any of the buttons (which is completely arbitrary!).

I hope your other projects are a little more original.

And speaking of Han's other touchscreen surface, if you watch the demo video of that you can see how similar GUI functions can be acheived in many different visual ways.

izniezot

Post by izniezot » Mon Sep 11, 2006 11:57 pm

guys behringer has been doing the same thing for ages.
taking an expensive/exclusive product, strip it down and making it afforable.

hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Tue Sep 12, 2006 12:02 am

izniezot wrote:guys behringer has been doing the same thing for ages.
taking an expensive/exclusive product, strip it down and making it afforable.
It's hardly a Lemur, though. And given that there's only one layout, you'll get far more functionality from a multi-touch MIDI controller.

I like the idea, though. But without multiple customizable layouts, it's a gimmick. At least it's cheap enough, apart from the cost of a touchscreen... and another VGA output...

KU

Post by KU » Tue Sep 12, 2006 12:33 am

I think its brilliant

for $50 or so you buy a piece of software that you can drop into ableton as a VST - then you can drag that view over to a second Touchscreen Monitor and control ableton by touch.

I don't care if its single touch, its amazing and cheap

of course dual touch would make it so very much more useful as a mixing surface.

good job!

Dj-Grobe

Post by Dj-Grobe » Tue Sep 12, 2006 2:26 am

iamabletonite wrote:Yea, sorry guy, but your idea is obviously a blatant rip-off of the lemur. I mean, you didn't change the layout, or even the colors of any of the buttons (which is completely arbitrary!).

I hope your other projects are a little more original.

And speaking of Han's other touchscreen surface, if you watch the demo video of that you can see how similar GUI functions can be acheived in many different visual ways.
you say:
"I hope your other projects are a little more original"

what you think if in tyhe next 6 or 8 months you can have something from behringer like lemur for just 800U$........you say hey !! you stoledlemur behringer !!............ BUT I WANT LIKE ONE? lol.........sure !! jijii

Mr, you can have wonderfull ideas.......but if people cant use or cant buy......i continue thinking that its really super wonderfull, but who can enjoy?

I now want meke offensive, sorry, but really cant understand some guys.........really cant.

Coulors? are same?.............. on lemur you can select coulor you want.
I select colours based on logic of ableton not in lemur........

Layout its the same?
Under lemur you can make your layout.... and probably if you buy one lemur unit you create very similar layout i created for apleton if you play djing.......so you stop be original at this moment? this its layout i think many djs need, and want ....... and this cant be super original becasue its the layout everyone use abelton for play music use........so what you want exactly? sliders at 45 degrees, elipitical buttons?
Sliders are sliders and buttosn are buttons...........
I working in better minimalistic buttons.......hoppe jazzmutant no work on this at this time, because again all people say...hey you have the same butons lol !!

The space on the screen its limied, and for that reason the layout is clasical layour, for better usage of space available........for that reason you can think this is a TETRIS LAYOUT !!
Anyway some fatures of the layout are originall and not visble on pictures..... soon people can see moe about that.

My project its very original, and its compatible with laptops djs using now for djing with ableton, just need add cheap touchscreen and MonoTouchLIve software.........non special hardware.
" that is the original part of my idea"
Ig the lcd its broken , you can go for other !!.....i cnat imagine whats up if somebody buy lemur, and broke on gig !! dam !! he need all shoulders arond the word for cry !!

I just create cheap way to no use mouse, and have durable controller.
If not like sorry............. i no change the actual layout, its special created for dijing with ableton, i djing with ableton, and its my dream controller for live shows, not lemur based layout, based on exactly i need and what i think djs need for djing......
I think this layout its common to lot of djs and they can see that soon.

i see some guy coment something like behringer...........that its gerat company!! they create wonderfull thinks for non rich people.......clap my hands....... behringer !!

Dont blame to me guys...........want know the more interesant point of all this....... i know another guy around the world its working on exactly same idea i have, or something like multitouch lemur.......and possible better !! and this is great !! we have to many alternatives very cheap soon...... and i are part of that......... : )

Oh and i repeat lemur its winderfull, but price its impossible !!

Dj-Grobe

Post by Dj-Grobe » Tue Sep 12, 2006 2:33 am

hambone1, this its oriented to laptop player, all altops have second vga output : )

Under mac, all new mactels have too : )

About we have only one fixed screen...... that not its correct, the first version have only one, but i working on 5 extra screens for make usefull : )

Anyway.......i think lemur people after see this project, they are planing launch software like this based on the actual system they have......LEGO CUSTOM LAYOUT..................

why not? : )

Im happy if they make that.....and lot of people too............
or not?

: )

Robert Henke

Post by Robert Henke » Tue Sep 12, 2006 3:24 am

I find this concept wierd...

Taking the disadvantags of Lemur (no physical faders, no tactile feedback) and combine them with the disadvantages of hardware controlers (fixed layout) plus introducing new ones (single touch).

A user interace is not a photoshop mockup btw. A user interfce is the sum of all dynamic interactions between the structure it controls and the user. A single image tells nothing about the interaction between the user and the software, it is not sufficient as a descripition of the unit.

One single button alone can have numerous properties, depending on the function. It is much more then just a colored shape. And actually even a simple colored square representing a button can have a lot of functions:

it can be on or off, it can blink fast or slow, it can react to a short touch differently then to a long touch, it can toggle, it can change its state not only as a result of a user interaction but also as a result of some time-based feedback from the function it controls. and so on and so on.

I do not see any of these thoughts in here, i just see a Lemur screenashot without the name Lemur.

Best, Robert
Last edited by Robert Henke on Tue Sep 12, 2006 3:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dj-Grobe

Post by Dj-Grobe » Tue Sep 12, 2006 3:48 am

Well robert its probabley you are musician, i think that based on your post.
I are dj, and for me one touch its ok, possible 2 its perfect.
I post soo video djing with one touch.
And cant udnerstand why you need feel the knobs on your fingers for make correct work..........really cant understand, for peole with some disfucntional problme on the eyes (reduced vision, or blind presions)

I cant understan why need feel the knob on the hands or sliders on hands.....

If you are pianist..........., sureeeeeee!! play piano over touchscreen its possible but dont think its very good sensation.
But move sliders or knobs, or ON OFF buttons? ......... not see why need feel on your fingers that.

Me feedback when i mix with realmixer are just my auditive system.
Under any toucscreen, you just need visual fro knwo waht and whereits located slider or button or any control.

I dont think that tact feedbak its neded for lemur or my system.

Anyway..........if you feel better using knob.....its ok....for you.......for me, i can play exactly in same way, with touchscreen or with real mixer, but want touchscreen...........no mixer or trigger on the amrket cover waht i need and waht i want.

About fixed layout...........why you want more layouts, if all layouts indcluded cover all DJ need, or about 90% of what you need : )
And all this without expensive price..... : )

DeadlyKungFu

Post by DeadlyKungFu » Tue Sep 12, 2006 4:09 am

Yo, Henke is one of the founders and creators of one of the best and most unique audio production and live performance software programs of all time. Do you think he could teach you a few things?

Dj-Grobe

Post by Dj-Grobe » Tue Sep 12, 2006 4:25 am

My Respect to Henke..... and to anyone posting here.
I have too many, mails from people really want use this sofwtare........so all that suers are wrong on the way?

Diferent point of views..........

For some users this can he usefull, for other no.....
Last edited by Dj-Grobe on Tue Sep 12, 2006 4:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Robert Henke

Post by Robert Henke » Tue Sep 12, 2006 4:30 am

Na, not really a founder. I just happened to be there when Gerhard and Bernd started the company and i did not want to be alone ;-). Back to topic.

DJ Grobe, i am not a musician at all. But everything i learned about DJs is that they are extremly picky if it comes to their tools. And that what makes a good tool is its details. This is why there are soo many different DJ mixers who all look alike on the surface.

I could imagine that it is possible to build a single touch surface which allows people to deejay music. But i think it has too look and behave dramatically different from a hardware interface because it is a different thing.

The DJ does not want to look constantly on its hardware while mixing. With a touch screen he has to. But the touch screen could be a perfect solution for browsing thru hundreds of tracks and it could allow to select the next records he wants to play. Or it could display two or more large progress bars for the song duration..or other ideas like this. I am not at all against a touch screen as a user interface for Live or any other music software, i just believe that especially a classic DJ mixer layout will not be so much fun to use.

Cheers, Robert

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Tue Sep 12, 2006 4:31 am

i like grobe's product, ill stand up for him.

i think it is an innovative way to let people have a more interesting and immediate access to certain technology which they may like to explore but not at the cost or depth of something like a lemure.

its the very reason why i use vnc on a pda to control live sometimes.

and some of it is because you can.

im sorry that i screwed up grobe's announcement of his methodology even though to me it was obvious, kinda fizzled out a bit of the surprise.

grobe would probably win the love of the community if he provided more than just a gui which sends midi data because to be quit frank, as cool as it is i would have expected something like that to be a freeward kind of app.

if grobe were to actually create some more interesting and more unique ways of taking a mono touchscreen and adding some extra depth to that interactivity layer that would go a long way, but i do not think that's possible until a V2 which will only come to fruition through support and incentives from the community.

grobe if i were you, i would make this version free.. then build upon the user feedback

Dj-Grobe

Post by Dj-Grobe » Tue Sep 12, 2006 4:58 am

For be honest, i think ableton should take this concept, and add some CUSTOM INTERFACE CREATOR (lego gui) for use in second lcd video output with any touch screen.

Why not ableton guys?

From now, we have one touch, but aparently very soon, some important company start sell multitouch screens.......the future its coming ...and big part of that feature are touchscreens controllers !