MacBook 1,83 good enough for live and logic?

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
nosuch
Posts: 269
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2003 1:45 pm
Location: cologne

MacBook 1,83 good enough for live and logic?

Post by nosuch » Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:21 am

Sorry, I am sure this has been asked before (but could not find it quickly in the search): Is the small macbook a good platform for live and logic or should i take the 2.0 version (i cannot imagine why I should need the superdrive)
how much ram will i need?
...just trying to figure out how to make my computer sing....

sqook
Posts: 2430
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2004 8:14 pm
Location: Sweden
Contact:

Post by sqook » Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:31 am

Runs great; they're really fast. Just be sure to get at least 1Gb ram.

jyoty
Posts: 50
Joined: Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:14 am

Post by jyoty » Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:26 pm

i would say 2 gigs and you're good to go.

cheapest prices on mem can be found here:

http://www.datamem.com/AMM12.asp

AdamJay
Posts: 4757
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2004 7:17 pm
Location: Indianapolis, USA

Post by AdamJay » Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:29 pm

max out the ram and you'll be happy you did

djmyke
Posts: 250
Joined: Wed Aug 16, 2006 6:05 pm
Location: Philippines

Post by djmyke » Thu Sep 07, 2006 5:29 pm

im gona buy a powerbook or a macbook soon...

is a 1.6ghz powerbook with max RAM enuf coz i can buy it cheaper from a friend


or is it better to buy the new macbook then put 2gb RAM?


=)

im only running ableton 5 for dat=)

Danny Futuro
Posts: 253
Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2006 7:42 am
Location: Los Angeles
Contact:

Post by Danny Futuro » Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:29 pm

dude get the macbook. dont even waste your time with the powerbook. You'll be disappointed by its performance, and the macbook wipes the floor with the powerpc apple notebooks. Just get at least 1gb of ram.

$1099 on student discount...you cant go wrong!

BTW, I run Logic and Live on it, sometimes both at the same time, and I have yet to run out of processor power. On my 1.33ghz G4 iBook, the same tasks I do now would have brought the system to its knees.
Self-hating american.

muscleandhate
Posts: 693
Joined: Wed Aug 16, 2006 5:54 pm

Post by muscleandhate » Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:58 pm

White MacBook user here:-

Intel Core Duo 2.00gHz
512 GB RAM
60 GIG HD

If I were you, I'd try and save the extra money to purchase a 2.00gHz Core duo if possible. If not, and if you're truely unconcerned about the inability to burn DVD's, then I think the 1.8 will suffice. At the moment, my MacBook is running Ableton 5.2 with no problems at at, even with loads of synths running and tons of reverb units, I don't think I've exceeded 50% on the CPU limit.

Don't forget this is with only 512 MB of the standard Apple RAM. Suffice to say, these MacBooks are very quick indeed, I can't imagine what it will be like when I save up for 2 GIG's of RAM and a 160 GB 7200 RPM Hiatchi travelstar Internal Hard-drive.

With regards to Logic (I'm using the UB Express version), then this feels even faster than Ableton, I wouldn't like to say how many of the Logic instruments I could run if I tried, though I would presume it be a lot.

One thing to consider is that if you plan on using visual-intensive applications, especially the latest games, then you'll be disappointed with the Intel on-board graphics unit. If your only interested in audio, then the MacBook has actually bencemarked faster than the MacBook Pro's for general processing power. I presume this is why Apple might delay the processor change in MacBooks from Yonah to Meroms, whilst making changes to the Pro line immediately. I suppose they feel it necessary to articulate the difference between the alledged 'consumer' line and the 'professional' line beyond a larger moniter, a backlite keyboard and a decent video card.

nolus
Posts: 823
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2004 12:31 pm
Location: Little Blighty On The Down

Post by nolus » Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:28 pm

I'm using a 1GB, 1.67Mhz Core Duo with live 6 beta (PC not MAC but performance should be similar) and it handles everything I can throw at it.(loads of vstis playing hundreds of notes simultaniously) . and performance will improve further when the debug tracing code is turned off in the final release. and this is with the notoriously CPU hungry M-Audio FW410.
"That very perceptive of you Mr Stapleton, and rather unexpected... in a G Major"

reptar
Posts: 34
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2005 4:08 am
Location: Melbourne
Contact:

Post by reptar » Fri Sep 08, 2006 3:58 am

muscleandhate wrote:I can't imagine what it will be like when I save up for 2 GIG's of RAM and a 160 GB 7200 RPM Hiatchi travelstar Internal Hard-drive.
It'll most likely be a white puddle of melted plastic on the floor.

Putting in a 7200rpm drive will start your macbook overheating, you'd be better off using an external drive. You should keep your audio files on a seperate drive to your system anyway, if you're really worried about performance.

scientist
Posts: 1336
Joined: Sun Aug 10, 2003 2:06 am
Location: seattle

Post by scientist » Fri Sep 08, 2006 5:23 am

reptar wrote:It'll most likely be a white puddle of melted plastic on the floor.

Putting in a 7200rpm drive will start your macbook overheating, you'd be better off using an external drive.
not true. 7200rpm drives are fine in the macbook.

muscleandhate
Posts: 693
Joined: Wed Aug 16, 2006 5:54 pm

Post by muscleandhate » Fri Sep 08, 2006 2:36 pm

reptar wrote:
muscleandhate wrote:I can't imagine what it will be like when I save up for 2 GIG's of RAM and a 160 GB 7200 RPM Hiatchi travelstar Internal Hard-drive.
It'll most likely be a white puddle of melted plastic on the floor.

Putting in a 7200rpm drive will start your macbook overheating, you'd be better off using an external drive. You should keep your audio files on a seperate drive to your system anyway, if you're really worried about performance.
Please get your facts straight before you speak. I noted the Hiatchi Travelstar in particular. This is because, despite bigger and faster than the standard MacBook drives, they actually run with lower temperatures and use less battery.

webslave
Posts: 56
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2005 7:07 am

Re: MacBook 1,83 good enough for live and logic?

Post by webslave » Fri Sep 08, 2006 3:03 pm

nosuch wrote:Sorry, I am sure this has been asked before (but could not find it quickly in the search): Is the small macbook a good platform for live and logic or should i take the 2.0 version (i cannot imagine why I should need the superdrive)
how much ram will i need?
Live runs very smoothly on my macbook

BUT

Be aware there are limited plugins that run on the intel mac at the moment. If you use guitar rig, for example, it's not available till later this year. Unless the plugin is universal it will not work with the latest version of live.

I say this after tryiing to port my set up from PC to mac and waiting for updates to various plugins to become available.

Stew

Ball Sack
Posts: 428
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2006 1:27 pm
Location: Scrotum

Post by Ball Sack » Fri Sep 08, 2006 3:05 pm

AdamJay wrote:max out the ram and you'll be happy you did
The ansewer to everything.

tomperson
Posts: 1018
Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2004 11:55 am
Location: MVD, Uruguay, South America
Contact:

Post by tomperson » Fri Sep 08, 2006 3:11 pm

muscleandhate wrote: Please get your facts straight before you speak. I noted the Hiatchi Travelstar in particular. This is because, despite bigger and faster than the standard MacBook drives, they actually run with lower temperatures and use less battery.
I'm interested in this. Could you backup your info with some tech specs, comparison or link please? Thanks.
Turn up the radio. Turn up the tape machine. Look into the sunset up ahead. Roll the windows down for a better taste of the cool desert wind. Ah yes. This is what it's all about. Total control now.

djmyke
Posts: 250
Joined: Wed Aug 16, 2006 6:05 pm
Location: Philippines

Post by djmyke » Sat Sep 09, 2006 4:29 pm

for all those mabook 2.0 users? can u still download free plugins online? like orange vocoder n other plugins?

Post Reply