MacBook 1,83 good enough for live and logic?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
OliQ

Post by OliQ » Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:06 am

Thanks muscleandhate, that's helpful. Whats the situation with Audio Units, do they still need to be coded to UB? I read somewhere something suggesting they didnt....
www.mysteronsmusic.co.uk

Macbook C2D, Live 6, Firewire 410, Edirol PCR1, BCR2000, Allen & Heath SR16, Novation Nova, Yamaha A5000&Rm1x, Amiga 500, Micros Eclipse EPOS, Modified X Box compressor....

suburbanbather

Post by suburbanbather » Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:49 am

muscleandhate wrote:
I've experienced no problems at all, OSX is far easier to use than Windows and just seems like a much more logical way to operate a computer. Spotlight is by far the most effective program ever, it totally changes the way you use a computer. Or at least it has done for me. I've only seen OSX crash once to the point were it demanded to restart itself. Considering I've had the computer around six weeks, I think this acceptable comparatively speaking. Windows seems to crash once a session, as a matter of fact after I reformated my desktop Windows actually crashed on its first boot! How this is possible I've no idea.

So basically, yes I've converted and yes, I'll never even consider buying a another PC again. Since Windows 98, I've found it to be an untidy, inefficient and occasionally outright stupid operating system.
Word!!

I switched from a Dell Inspiron 8600? Don't remember the exact model #. Anyways, 2.0 ghz. 1gig ram, 60 gig. 7200rpm to a G4 Powerbook 1.67ghz. 2gigs ram, and 80 gig 5400 rpm. Less than a week after I got the Powerbook, saying goodbye to Windows and especially Dell was not even in question.

Yes my Powerbook is slower than the Dell I had, but its still fast enough to get the job done and OSX is such a breeze to work with.

I'm saving up for an Intel Mac after I complete my MoogerFooger set up, which won't be till later next year.

Krugger

Post by Krugger » Mon Sep 11, 2006 11:16 am

OliQ wrote:Thanks muscleandhate, that's helpful. Whats the situation with Audio Units, do they still need to be coded to UB? I read somewhere something suggesting they didnt....
Yes, quite a few of them

I haven't read the rest of this thread but if your questions is related to "Should I get a Mac Intel or not", do check your fav / necessary plugins have been updated to UB before you fork out.

Cause if you gotta wait for them, you might as well wait for the next gen of macbooks / pros.
Kr.

gnapier

Notoriously CPU hungry....?

Post by gnapier » Mon Sep 11, 2006 12:42 pm

nolus wrote:I'm using a 1GB, 1.67Mhz Core Duo with live 6 beta (PC not MAC but performance should be similar) and it handles everything I can throw at it.(loads of vstis playing hundreds of notes simultaniously) . and performance will improve further when the debug tracing code is turned off in the final release. and this is with the <b>notoriously CPU hungry M-Audio FW410.</b>
Just curious....why do you say "notoriusly CPU hungry FW 410?" Where can I find some more info on that. (I have one.)

Thx.
GN

CWoodOne

Re: Notoriously CPU hungry....?

Post by CWoodOne » Mon Sep 11, 2006 1:50 pm

gnapier wrote:
nolus wrote:I'm using a 1GB, 1.67Mhz Core Duo with live 6 beta (PC not MAC but performance should be similar) and it handles everything I can throw at it.(loads of vstis playing hundreds of notes simultaniously) . and performance will improve further when the debug tracing code is turned off in the final release. and this is with the <b>notoriously CPU hungry M-Audio FW410.</b>
Just curious....why do you say "notoriusly CPU hungry FW 410?" Where can I find some more info on that. (I have one.)

Thx.
GN
I can't get the FW410 to work at all with 10.4.7 on a Mac Pro

OliQ

Post by OliQ » Mon Sep 11, 2006 4:58 pm

Thanks, I do use quite a few free, non UB plugins, but I actually have no computer at the moment so waiting isn't possible! =)

Got a fair bit of real outboard too, and I reckon I'll be Ok with the Live plugs and whatever is UB already for now.

I also have a FW 410, it's been a bit temperamental b4 but not since the last Driver update... Anyone got one working on a macbook?
www.mysteronsmusic.co.uk

Macbook C2D, Live 6, Firewire 410, Edirol PCR1, BCR2000, Allen & Heath SR16, Novation Nova, Yamaha A5000&Rm1x, Amiga 500, Micros Eclipse EPOS, Modified X Box compressor....

nolus

Re: Notoriously CPU hungry....?

Post by nolus » Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:21 pm

gnapier wrote:

Thx.
GN
I'm just going on opinions that I've read on this forum really. It's not a hard scientific fact, I could be mistaken, there is a general anti-m-audio bias around these parts.

Unfortunately I don't have anything else to compare it to. i've made my choice and spent my money and now I have to live with it - unless I get a nice Xmas bonus.

It's not as bad as some people make it out to be. but the latency and performance at high sample rates is rather disappointing.
"That very perceptive of you Mr Stapleton, and rather unexpected... in a G Major"

rikhyray

Post by rikhyray » Tue Sep 12, 2006 2:16 pm

I have interesting offer- 2.0 2GRam few hundred Euro cheaper then similarly spec Sony Vaio but what worries me are the graphic cards -the integrated Intel thingy found only in cheap ass pc notbook (Sony has same as MacPro).
Question is -will the superior OS compensate for it, I know that those intel integrated pc are useless for music but what about Mac is the OS that much better to fix that hardware drag? I dont want anything bigger then 13`` so it is either Macbook or Vaio but the bloody graphic really worries me.

muscleandhate

Post by muscleandhate » Tue Sep 12, 2006 2:35 pm

rikhyray wrote:I have interesting offer- 2.0 2GRam few hundred Euro cheaper then similarly spec Sony Vaio but what worries me are the graphic cards -the integrated Intel thingy found only in cheap ass pc notbook (Sony has same as MacPro).
Question is -will the superior OS compensate for it, I know that those intel integrated pc are useless for music but what about Mac is the OS that much better to fix that hardware drag? I dont want anything bigger then 13`` so it is either Macbook or Vaio but the bloody graphic really worries me.
Why are you concerned about graphics cards when your using it for audio applicatations?

muscleandhate

Post by muscleandhate » Tue Sep 12, 2006 2:39 pm

OliQ wrote:Thanks muscleandhate, that's helpful. Whats the situation with Audio Units, do they still need to be coded to UB? I read somewhere something suggesting they didnt....
I'm quite certain most AU's need to be converted to work with MacIntel.

For me, moving from not only PC to Mac, but into the new territory or MacIntel, I had to change the way I produce music. But I think generally this has been a good way as I've been forced out of a comfort bubble of constantly using Battery, Vanguard and Yamaha Final Master suite to make tunes.

fatrabbit

Post by fatrabbit » Tue Sep 12, 2006 3:24 pm

muscleandhate wrote:
rikhyray wrote:I have interesting offer- 2.0 2GRam few hundred Euro cheaper then similarly spec Sony Vaio but what worries me are the graphic cards -the integrated Intel thingy found only in cheap ass pc notbook (Sony has same as MacPro).
Why are you concerned about graphics cards when your using it for audio applicatations?
It might be because the gfx will have to run off the CPU and RAM more than if there was a dedicated card (as far my understanding tells me).

It is a little niggle for me too, but it should be fine.

The Thief

Post by The Thief » Tue Sep 12, 2006 4:09 pm

IMO a 1.83 with max ram should do you just fine

it works for me :lol:
Begin with an empty room and an open mind (and 1 speaker)...M.P.Stavrou

rikhyray

Post by rikhyray » Tue Sep 12, 2006 5:14 pm

muscleandhate wrote:
Cause it can cause audio problems = noises, distortion, clicks etc.
That is why I want to know from people who have these and seriously use

OliQ

Post by OliQ » Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:20 am

Sorry to return to the heat again but do any of you use the macbook in a club environment for DJing or Live?
www.mysteronsmusic.co.uk