WOW - News from NI !!! Check it !!!

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
forge

Post by forge » Sat Sep 16, 2006 4:44 am

glitchrock-buddha wrote:
poor beloved ableton sampler: I'm sorry but you'll have to wait. :oops: :cry:
hmm...that could well be a big dampen on the sampler's release - NI the dirty rotters know what they are doing! :twisted:

glu

Post by glu » Sat Sep 16, 2006 4:51 am

i'm lusting over this NI business... to some extent at least (minus the horror stories I have read here and elsewhere) but now that my DVDRW drive is broken and L6 is on the horizon, i don't think there is much else I can do but wait, and figure out how the hell to fix this thing. wah wah!

I am really interested in Reaktor and kontakt though...
I will toy with sampler demo before buying a softsampler.

so what is Massive all about, and why would one want it over reaktor or absynth?
no prevailing genre of music:
http://alonetone.com/glu

ewistrand

Post by ewistrand » Sat Sep 16, 2006 5:11 am

glu wrote: so what is Massive all about, and why would one want it over reaktor or absynth?
I'm not so sure you'd want it OVER either of them, but it's a nice addition.
I'll just copy an excerpt from a post I made at KVR earlier about it to save my fingers...

Massive's essentially a three oscillator wavetable synth, with a fourth oscillator (no waveform selection on this- I'm guessing it's a sine wave) for ring modulation, phase modulation (DX-style "FM") and position modulation, as well as filter FM. While you can only modulate one oscillator with each form of modulation using the mod oscillator, you can use different ones for each- for example, using phase modulation on oscillator 1 and position modulation on oscillator 3. Or, you can modulate all the choices on one oscillator; RM, PM and position. Or, any combination of the above.

The filters are superb, and the LFOs have morphable waveforms. The modulation section is dead easy, and the effects are wonderful.

About the mod section- there's four envelopes. The other four modulators can be any combination of LFO, performance (allowing you to morph between two multipoint envelopes, or you can use it as a multipoint envelope) or a step sequencer.

The sound? All depends. It can sound like a PPG on steroids, or like some of the more vivid Reaktor ensembles (there's presets emulating Carbon 1 and 2, for example) or...

Personally, I love the thing.

ew

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Sat Sep 16, 2006 5:33 am

Hey ewistrand, are they still doing that horrible business where the kore controller must be attached to open/play anything from a kore instance in a song?

The kore offer looks great, now that I got a coupon coming, and you get massive for free. Even so, I wouldn't touch kore if it's still basically a dongle. Do you think they'll keep it this way?

cheers,

grb
Professional Shark Jumper.

ewistrand

Post by ewistrand » Sat Sep 16, 2006 5:50 am

glitchrock-buddha wrote:Hey ewistrand, are they still doing that horrible business where the kore controller must be attached to open/play anything from a kore instance in a song?

The kore offer looks great, now that I got a coupon coming, and you get massive for free. Even so, I wouldn't touch kore if it's still basically a dongle. Do you think they'll keep it this way?

cheers,

grb
That's one of the biggest complaints from the KORE users. It's still that way, and to tell the truth, I don't know if it'll change or not. My guess at this time would be they'll keep it that way, though...

ew

glu

Post by glu » Sat Sep 16, 2006 5:56 am

thx ewistrand. nice summary.
no prevailing genre of music:
http://alonetone.com/glu

chagos

Post by chagos » Sat Sep 16, 2006 6:52 pm

God,
looks like i will be forced to buy Absynth 4 because i just love the absynth.
maybe it will work this time without having to deal with 5 days of phone calls and tricking my fucking computer out with extra code because NI's negligence.

P.S to N.I.: when someone buys a komplete and they cannot install it from the get go, try to use better customer service than saying " i'm sorry, there is nothing we can do"

ewistrand

Post by ewistrand » Sat Sep 16, 2006 9:08 pm

chagos wrote:God,
looks like i will be forced to buy Absynth 4 because i just love the absynth.
maybe it will work this time without having to deal with 5 days of phone calls and tricking my fucking computer out with extra code because NI's negligence.

P.S to N.I.: when someone buys a komplete and they cannot install it from the get go, try to use better customer service than saying " i'm sorry, there is nothing we can do"
Ouch... do you remember the name of who you talked to? If so, send it to me off list and I'll pass it on to someone who will deal with it.

ew

b0unce

Post by b0unce » Sat Sep 16, 2006 10:47 pm

what do you mean by 'deal with it' ?

you think that response wasnt standard protocol ?
spreader of butter

ewistrand

Post by ewistrand » Sun Sep 17, 2006 12:35 am

b0unce wrote:...

what do you mean by 'deal with it' ?

you think that response wasnt standard protocol ?
If it is, it shouldn't be.

I've been told by people over at NI that they're aware of the bad rep and issues as far as support goes and they want to work on changing it- well, here's a chance.

ew

b0unce

Post by b0unce » Sun Sep 17, 2006 12:39 am

?...

i dont get it. what kind of influence do you think you have? , you think you'll email you're pal with a name and a quote, and they'll fix the bugs any faster then they are going to as it is ?

spreader of butter

ewistrand

Post by ewistrand » Sun Sep 17, 2006 1:07 am

I'm the moderator of two of their forums for starters, so I DO have some pull...

ew

b0unce

Post by b0unce » Sun Sep 17, 2006 1:11 am

rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrright.........

im not sure which is more appropriate... :lol: or :roll:

if only there was a laughing, eyerolling smiley approx. 800x600 pixels large
spreader of butter

b0unce

Post by b0unce » Sun Sep 17, 2006 2:14 am

maybe you could email kofi annan afterwards, and fix the middle east ?
spreader of butter

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Thu Sep 28, 2006 1:05 am

NI changed it all again.

Uni bins for the new stuff.....all the others pushed back.

I have more repect for the goo around a hogs stinking balls than NI.