Macbook vs. 900mhz centrino ....How Much Faster running Win

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
stale bread

Macbook vs. 900mhz centrino ....How Much Faster running Win

Post by stale bread » Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:50 am

how much more powerful would be a macbook running xp over a 900mhz centrino laptop, would it be significant, especialy regarding Ableton Live?
Mac, Mpc, and a Microphone

Thanks for the Slicer Abe.

rbmonosylabik

Post by rbmonosylabik » Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:52 am

Wild guess: Very significant difference

MBP 2.3 GHz i5, Live 9.6.1, Push, MPD32, Rane SL2

Kodama

Post by Kodama » Thu Sep 14, 2006 2:10 am

A centrino is pretty much equal to one core, so image a dual centrino 1.83 (or whatever speed Macbook) and you get the idea.
GO VEGAN!!! - Macbook Air, Bass Station II, Some Korg shit, Live Suite, U-He, Audio Damage, Microtonic, Ohmicide, more soft stuffs, awesome controllers, euro rack modular synth,an awesome cat.

djmyke

Post by djmyke » Thu Sep 14, 2006 2:58 am

how bout the popular overheating issues?=)

aliasA

Post by aliasA » Thu Sep 14, 2006 2:59 am

Kodama wrote:A centrino is pretty much equal to one core, so image a dual centrino 1.83 (or whatever speed Macbook) and you get the idea.
that is an extremely broad statement. there are soooo many other factors. it realyl isnt an appropriate way to think about it.

It should be much faster than even twice as fast.

shaneblyth

Post by shaneblyth » Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:10 am

djmyke wrote:how bout the popular overheating issues?=)
that was just the earlier adopters hassle.. buying a new one now and you'll be sweet The Macbook would eat the 900mhz centrino for breakfast with live 5 with 6 that'll be a huge difference for you and of course u can choose your OS to work off..
MacbookPro Core2Duo 17" 160 gb SATA 2gb ram.
Korg M3
1 Terabyte External Drive
Presonus Firebox
Live 6,

djmyke

Post by djmyke » Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:49 am

shaneblyth wrote:
that was just the earlier adopters hassle.. buying a new one now and you'll be sweet The Macbook would eat the 900mhz centrino for breakfast with live 5 with 6 that'll be a huge difference for you and of course u can choose your OS to work off..

intel pentium 4 3.0ghz hyper threding+1.2gb RAM

VS.

macbook 2.0ghz core duo+1gb RAM

is it a knockout? in terms of live looping performans? realy big performans differens? loading lotsa effects..

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Thu Sep 14, 2006 5:29 am

my money's on the macbook

shaneblyth

Post by shaneblyth » Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:33 am

djmyke wrote:
shaneblyth wrote:

intel pentium 4 3.0ghz hyper threding+1.2gb RAM

VS.

macbook 2.0ghz core duo+1gb RAM

is it a knockout? in terms of live looping performans? realy big performans differens? loading lotsa effects..
I have a 2.4 version of the above system and my Macmini intel 1.66ghz is noticably faster.. cpu meter is alot lover it has the same 1 gig of ram but the 2.4 had a faster drive.. and of course once live 6 is here it will be a total laugh.. i saw a guy mention his cpu on his dual core intel went from 38% in a test he did to 18% in live 6 Beta so as u can see the poor old P$ u mention will get totally blown in the boon docks inside the month when L6 is officially released
Korg M3
Presonus Firebox
Live 6,

aqua_tek

Post by aqua_tek » Fri Sep 15, 2006 6:08 am

to be honest i dont see the point of running windows on a mac. so what, you can get a few PC-only plugins to work? yippie. is there any other advantage?

if not, then i really dont see the incentive to do it.

i think part of the appeal to having a mac is the stability between the os and the machine, so installing XP on one just sort of defeats the purpose doesnt it?

that's just the noob's humble opinion. If more experienced cats can enlighten me, by all means do.

Per Boysen

Post by Per Boysen » Fri Sep 15, 2006 7:25 am

aqua_tek wrote:to be honest i dont see the point of running windows on a mac. so what, you can get a few PC-only plugins to work? yippie. is there any other advantage?

i think part of the appeal to having a mac is the stability between the os and the machine, so installing XP on one just sort of defeats the purpose doesnt it?

that's just the noob's humble opinion. If more experienced cats can enlighten me, by all means do.
Ok. I see one point in running windows on a mac and that is to be able to use different software that are OSX only or XP only. That's the situation with the software tools I need here, so I have computors of both kinds. Next time I need to get a new I will definitely buy a mac, so I won't have to also buy a new Win-lappy when my recent one craps out.

Regarding os stability: I'm using both Win XP and Mac OSX on a daily basis and I see no stability issues with XP, as you intend. But it's definitely possible to ruin the stability of a windows box by installing too much crap on it. I don't use my win lappy on the internet at all, so I'm in the happy situatin of not having to use those virus protection software that makes the system sloooooooww...
Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
http://www.perboysen.com

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Fri Sep 15, 2006 7:53 am

shaneblyth wrote:I have a 2.4 version of the above system and my Macmini intel 1.66ghz is noticably faster.. cpu meter is alot lover it has the same 1 gig of ram but the 2.4 had a faster drive
the macintel minis have SATA disks, right? So all things being equal they're actually quite a bit faster than regular drives.
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

aqua_tek

Post by aqua_tek » Fri Sep 15, 2006 5:29 pm

Per Boysen wrote:
aqua_tek wrote:to be honest i dont see the point of running windows on a mac. so what, you can get a few PC-only plugins to work? yippie. is there any other advantage?

Ok. I see one point in running windows on a mac and that is to be able to use different software that are OSX only or XP only. That's the situation with the software tools I need here, so I have computors of both kinds. Next time I need to get a new I will definitely buy a mac, so I won't have to also buy a new Win-lappy when my recent one craps out.

Regarding os stability: I'm using both Win XP and Mac OSX on a daily basis and I see no stability issues with XP, as you intend. But it's definitely possible to ruin the stability of a windows box by installing too much crap on it. I don't use my win lappy on the internet at all, so I'm in the happy situatin of not having to use those virus protection software that makes the system sloooooooww...
understood :)

shaneblyth

Post by shaneblyth » Sat Sep 16, 2006 7:46 am

Machinate wrote:
shaneblyth wrote:I have a 2.4 version of the above system and my Macmini intel 1.66ghz is noticably faster.. cpu meter is alot lover it has the same 1 gig of ram but the 2.4 had a faster drive
the macintel minis have SATA disks, right? So all things being equal they're actually quite a bit faster than regular drives.
all the intel macs have sata drives
Korg M3
Presonus Firebox
Live 6,