I am through with MIDI!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
tomperson

Post by tomperson » Fri Sep 15, 2006 2:38 pm

After googling a bit :wink: :
The internet wrote:
Some examples of software with OSC implementations:

ChucK
CSound
EyesWeb
Isadora (v.1.1)
Max/MSP
Pure Data
Reaktor
SuperCollider
Squeak
Traktor DJ Studio
[[VVVV[1]]]

OSC is a transport-independent protocol which means that it is a format for data that can be carried across a variety of networking technologies. Such networking technologies include high speed busses such as medium speed serial LANS like USB, IEEE-1394 (firewire), Ethernet and Fast Ethernet (as discussed above) and all of which are becoming widely available as well as affordable.

For example, Open Sound Control is transmitted on systems with a bandwidth in the 10+ megabit/sec range. In comparison, the bandwidth of MIDI is only 31.25 kilobit/sec, approximately 300 times slower! In OSC numeric data is encoded in 32-bit or 64-bit quantities and includes symbolic addressing and time-tag messages. In general, the OSC format is much more generous with its bandwidth for such important features.

:arrow: compare with midi at 7 bit resolution for data!

Open Sound Control has been very successful in its preliminary trials of transmission over UDP (User Datagram Protocol) and Ethernet to control real-time sound synthesis in MAX on Macintosh computers. Users enjoy improved precision and find it much easier to work with symbolic names of objects rather then complicated mapping of channel numbers, program change numbers and controller numbers as in MIDI. The numerous advantages, efficiency, low cost and reliability of this new protocol make it a potential replacement for current technology. It will give users more reactive musical control their convenience as well as expand the every growing industry of music technology and the internet.
For more information refer to the following websites:

http://www.cnmat.cnmat.berkeley.edu/OSC

http://cnmat.cnmat.berkeley.edu/ICMC97/ ... ntrol.html

http://www.opensoundcontrol.org
Turn up the radio. Turn up the tape machine. Look into the sunset up ahead. Roll the windows down for a better taste of the cool desert wind. Ah yes. This is what it's all about. Total control now.

The Thief

Post by The Thief » Fri Sep 15, 2006 2:44 pm

anyone heard of High-Definition MIDI ???

i found this http://www.midi.org/newsviews/hdmidipr2.shtml
Begin with an empty room and an open mind (and 1 speaker)...M.P.Stavrou

slicedbread

Post by slicedbread » Fri Sep 15, 2006 2:55 pm

unless there's a synergistic effort of hardware manufacturers and software developers to get a new standard spec, midi will remain king. it's in too deep. more likely you'll see something like MIDI2.0

slicedbread

Post by slicedbread » Fri Sep 15, 2006 2:58 pm

also, if there ever is a MIDI2.0, it'd be cool if it was a universal protocol to control everything from robotics, lighting, manufacturing... anything with automation.

rbmonosylabik

Post by rbmonosylabik » Fri Sep 15, 2006 2:59 pm

simpleton wrote:
boraxx wrote:is MIDI worse in spanish?
:lol:
Interfase Digital de Instrumentos Musicales = IDIM

yes, it is

MBP 2.3 GHz i5, Live 9.6.1, Push, MPD32, Rane SL2

tomperson

Post by tomperson » Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:03 pm

It works BACKWARDS :lol:
Turn up the radio. Turn up the tape machine. Look into the sunset up ahead. Roll the windows down for a better taste of the cool desert wind. Ah yes. This is what it's all about. Total control now.

rikhyray

Post by rikhyray » Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:46 pm

rbmonosylabik wrote:
simpleton wrote:
boraxx wrote:is MIDI worse in spanish?
:lol:
Interfase Digital de Instrumentos Musicales = IDIM

yes, it is
I thought it is "inter farce"

Well let me think, Latinos being less patient, even if it is milliseconds???
Or for real because tenemos mejor clave y que no molesta singaos con orejas de maders nos vuelve loco. Damn dont get me started about midi latencies this subject drives me nuts sometimes., specially when someone says "it is OK, leave it" when it is out and off.
The fact is that since Indian dont do much mid,i it is Cubans who mostly have clave de pinga that I would have to pullout hardware sequencers since the bloody software would be too inaccurate for the timing, pissing the musicians, so for real there might be something in it, culturally conditioned=paying more attentions to time then others do.

nolus

Post by nolus » Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:03 pm

the 31.25KB/S limit only applies to the original 5 pin din midi hardware spec. nowadays most controllers can be connected to a computer using usb.

midi over usb is no slower than anything else over usb.

admittedly it is probably about due for retirement. but the fact that it has survived so long is testament to the forsight and skill of the original designers.

it is exemely economical with band width. can osc send a note on with only 3 bytes of data? (2 bytes for subsequent notes).

14 Bit controll is also available when you need it.

i'm sure OSC will one day supercede midi. but that will require a suficient number of manufactures to agree on the standard, a very rare event in the modern world.

so save your criticism for the manufactures for failing to produce anything better, but dont slag off MIDI, it's brilliant piece of design and the people who created it deserve respect - after all where would the electronic music industry be withou it!
"That very perceptive of you Mr Stapleton, and rather unexpected... in a G Major"

tomperson

Post by tomperson » Fri Sep 15, 2006 5:41 pm

nolus wrote:so save your criticism for the manufactures for failing to produce anything better, but dont slag off MIDI, it's brilliant piece of design and the people who created it deserve respect - after all where would the electronic music industry be withou it!
We're not saying the guys who designed the protocol aren't brilliant. We are pointing to the fact that technology as a whole has completely changed since they designed it. They had to deal with lots of limitations that by today standards are pointless and limit the way we work (7bit parameter encoding for instance). So, by now it is pretty much technologically obsolete.

tomperson

Post by tomperson » Fri Sep 15, 2006 5:44 pm

rikhyray wrote: Or for real because tenemos mejor clave y que no molesta singaos con orejas de maders nos vuelve loco.
i it is Cubans who mostly have clave de pinga
8O no entiendo nada

jamester

Post by jamester » Fri Sep 15, 2006 5:52 pm

I have limited knowledge/capabilities with midi, so excuse me if thisis a stupid question...

But isn't using Impulse midi? I often say I don't "do midi", but I make beats in Impulse. Also, with virtual instruments I just play them in real time (although sometimes I'll go in and slide something in place and such).

This is all under "using midi", correct? It just seems like there's different uh, levels maybe of midi use?

All I know is using those never-ending piano rolls like in Sonar and other daws is completely tedious and uninspiring for me. However, making beats with Impulse is quitethe opposite! =)
Purrrfect Audio PC by Jim Roseberry
Edirol UA-1000, Korg PadKontrol, Dynaudio BM 5A's
REAPER, Live, Sound Forge

rikhyray

Post by rikhyray » Fri Sep 15, 2006 6:04 pm

tomperson wrote:
rikhyray wrote: Or for real because tenemos mejor clave y que no molesta singaos con orejas de maders nos vuelve loco.
i it is Cubans who mostly have clave de pinga
8O no entiendo nada
sorry misprint should be orejas de madera- sordo
de pinga....means app."excellent"
clave=timing in this context
isnt singao spelled chingao in Mexico , roughly meaning m.f.
my Spanish getting rusty.

rand

Post by rand » Fri Sep 15, 2006 6:08 pm

Well you think you all have problems with latency & dynamic values of midi !...
Try being a midi drum pad player - like poor lil ol me!!!!!!
REALLY SUCKS but I do it anyways because of the sound pallet I can play.
rRand

DeadlyKungFu

Post by DeadlyKungFu » Fri Sep 15, 2006 6:17 pm

99% of electronic music, which I'm sure we ALL love is done by midi, it's still usable but could use some updating.

1/96 of a beat at 120 bpm is 2.08 mSec granularity, I've never done the math on that, I'm suprised it's not below 1mS. When it comes to designing interfaces, the human aspect is always the slowest, eg keyboards and mice have low IRQ settings.

2mSec coud be tighter, I imagine you could get better midi performance by going over your setup, occasionally I find a midi routing that bogs things down.

Old and hokey but usable, don't give up on it yet, it's an odd beast, you have to pay your dues to get it down.

rbmonosylabik

Post by rbmonosylabik » Fri Sep 15, 2006 6:17 pm

jamester wrote:I have limited knowledge/capabilities with midi, so excuse me if thisis a stupid question...

But isn't using Impulse midi? I often say I don't "do midi", but I make beats in Impulse. Also, with virtual instruments I just play them in real time (although sometimes I'll go in and slide something in place and such).

This is all under "using midi", correct? It just seems like there's different uh, levels maybe of midi use?

All I know is using those never-ending piano rolls like in Sonar and other daws is completely tedious and uninspiring for me. However, making beats with Impulse is quitethe opposite! =)
MIDI is a communication language used to communicate between devices.

For example, a keyboard sends a message to a sound generator telling it to play note #60. The sound generator receives this message, interprets it as "play C" and then generates the corresponding sound. Messages to modify a sound and to control certain functions can also be sent and received back and forth.

There are various ways to implement this for different uses. MIDI can be used to control soft synths, hardware synths, effects units, lights, robots, etc, etc.

MBP 2.3 GHz i5, Live 9.6.1, Push, MPD32, Rane SL2