AHHHH - Final Scratch, CD J's or Ableton

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
djadonis206

AHHHH - Final Scratch, CD J's or Ableton

Post by djadonis206 » Fri Sep 15, 2006 7:33 pm

I'm pulling my hair out here!!!

Should I just invest in a nice controller and mix with Ableton and forgo CD J's

or should I get Serato Final Scratch and forgo the CD J

or get a CD J

I'm going kooky thinking baout this sh*t

my good friend who I respect suggested getting a CD J 200 since I don't scratch and what not

but he was like if it's digital music you want to spin get Final Scratch

HELP

thanks

Ad

*I don't really want to mix with Ableton cause well, it's cheating and the novelty wears off - quick
Ableton | Elektron

Music

musick

Post by musick » Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:40 pm

Go for Serato Scratch Live, controlled with vinyl or CDJ's (or both) :)

see www.scratchlive.net

kennerb

Post by kennerb » Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:47 pm

Thisn here gets me all gushy inside

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ ... c=3SOSWXXA
3ghz Pentium 4 (Prescott), XP Sp2, 1gig Ram, Dual Monitor with Matrox Millenium, MOTU Traveler, Event EZ8 Adat card. Also IBM THinkpad t40 1.6 1 gig ram

lerky

Post by lerky » Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:51 pm

i bought a cdj1000, but its really a pain unless you have 2. Now I got the nuo4 using ableton is coming together nicely, integrating the cdj and decks will be something to get used to though

DeadlyKungFu

Post by DeadlyKungFu » Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:51 pm

get final scratch, working with vinyl is the controller you've come to love and get good at. keep practicing and using those skills.

did you ever pick up a BCR? those things can be set up for mad control, get the most from that before spending the $ on another controller.

stale bread

Post by stale bread » Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:16 pm

listen to fu...... but....... get serratto or the new Torque shit coming from m-audio, I work for a music company and just had a clinic from m-audio, that shit is dope as fuck and is going to kill everybody with the $300 price tag, the features are rediculous and it'll rewire into Live quite nicely

final scratch2 is garbage, we have had 8 copies in the store and have not been able to sell any in a year, the only time someone has come in about it has been because of problems.

seratto is the shit and if it wasn't for m-audio i'd get it myself, but i got to wait till this torque thing hits the streets, from the clinic we had we all got the impression that it's one of those no brainer situations.
Mac, Mpc, and a Microphone

Thanks for the Slicer Abe.

Patch

Post by Patch » Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:24 pm

If you don't want to scratch - why change from Ableton? My ONLY (well, not only...) gripe with Ableton is that I cannot scratch digital.

DJChrisPaul

Post by DJChrisPaul » Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:46 pm

i use Serato and Live together switching between them, I get a little bored just staring at live..looks like i'm checkin my email, I miss playing with the decks! so i do an hour or so on each thru the night. Looking forward to the M Audio Torq...then my serato is for sale! 8)

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:19 pm

That's what I thought

DKF, nah I never did get the BCR - I never even made it down to Guitar Center

Were is all this coming from?

I'm moving into a new place - my own place and I really want to do some cool things for myself

I really want to step into the digital world (music downloads) and possibly work on a Live Performace set (using my music and super jams other people make)

I've been looking at all options, comparing and sharing with people

I had forgot about Serato until a good friend was like if you get a CD J get a 200 but most of all if you want to play all your downloads get Serato

DUH - serato

I guess I can wait to get a laptop (!)

opps someone jsut recommended I get a CD j cause I aint got no laptop

oh the choices

I have to really think about what my goals and what I want out of this move

School
Music
and
relaxation <-- getting some things in my head right

in that order so...spending my money has to be prioritizes like that - I have no idea why I'm telling you guys this

titties!
Ableton | Elektron

Music

queglay

Post by queglay » Sat Sep 16, 2006 1:16 pm

i can say that final scratch v1.5 was my worst experience ever with hardware. it never ran reliably on any machine mac or xp. it was sent back "fixed" and of course it was still not working. their tech support is horrible. to stanton/NI's misfortune of not dealling well with me I have since convinced at least 5 people to buy serato - and they did and all were happy.

i dont care if 2 is supposed to be good. 1.5 users were left in the dust - not worth the 1000AU$.

if anyone from ni is reading this it would be worthwile for you to "attempt" to make it up to me. haha.

mike holiday

Post by mike holiday » Sat Sep 16, 2006 4:18 pm

SSL and a nice multi in/out audio interface
dual 1.8 G4 10.4.9 w/768 ram & A&H xone 3D

"I ain't often right but I've never been wrong"

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Sun Sep 17, 2006 8:25 am

How about that Mrs.Pinky or whatever its called. That's like 100 bucks, plugs-in to a host. Thinking of it myself. Only thing is I need more inputs, 'cause the you go straight in from turntable via adapter, then out to your mixer if you want to scratch, then from mixer back into your soundcard again. onder how it works. Sure is cheap though. Otherwise torque looks cool, but it would need the same type of routing for scratching I think, Out of your soundcard to mixer, and then back in.

I haven't decided either adonis, but for me I just want to scratch. I was also considering one of those new gemini hybrid cd/vinyl decks. They're pretty cheap actually. But it would be way more cool to just load up a sound/clip, rather than have to burn stuff to use on digital decks.

grb
Professional Shark Jumper.

stale bread

Post by stale bread » Sun Sep 17, 2006 8:37 am

nope torqs not that way, it's just like serato, but cheaper, with better xtra features great fx great on board sampler, better sound quality, and rewires into live. no weird routing scheme to speak of
Mac, Mpc, and a Microphone

Thanks for the Slicer Abe.

djshiva

Re: AHHHH - Final Scratch, CD J's or Ableton

Post by djshiva » Sun Sep 17, 2006 7:56 pm

djadonis206 wrote:
*I don't really want to mix with Ableton cause well, it's cheating and the novelty wears off - quick
actually, i will disagree heartily with you here. i have been using ableton for djing dubstep (which is ridiculously hard to get on vinyl in the states, plus is not always as mixable as techno, which i normally spin). i have been using my own loops, setting loops on the songs themselves, using eqs as filters and to isolate specific frequencies across different songs, and using mutes as cuts to keep things varied. plus varying vst effects assigned to my uc33 for tweaking...

i am actually finding a whole WORLD of possibility each and every time i play. and it's actually having an interesting influence on my vinyl djing, because i am thinking more creatively about that now too.

so what i am saying, i guess, is that it will be as cool as how much energy you are willing to put into making it fresh and new. if you think of it EXACTLY like turntable djing...yes it will be boring. but if you realize just how much possiblity is there...then you will move forward with it.
http://www.soundcloud.com/djshiva
http://www.facebook.com/djshivamusic
http://sapphicbeats.blogspot.com

Macbook Pro Core 2 Duo / OSX / 2Gb RAM / Ableton Live 8 / Akai LPD8/LPK25

muscleandhate

Post by muscleandhate » Sun Sep 17, 2006 8:54 pm

If you wanna DJ propley, learn to mix with vinyl or at least CD's, anything you do after that is complementary.

I sold my technics (mistake in retrospect) and have been mixing on Ableton and I've found it a bit tedious to be quite honest.

I suppose it depends what your doing, with techno and house I'd much rather be mixing on a solid platform such as technics or CDJ's. I find my mixing tighter when I'm using my hands.

However I'm still undecided, I only learnt the other day because I've mainly been using it for production. I think there's benefits and drawbacks to using any plaftorm, whether it be Ableton or anything else.