itunes - what's the alternative?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
chymera

itunes - what's the alternative?

Post by chymera » Wed Sep 20, 2006 6:50 pm

I want to legally download some commercial major label albums (boo hiss!). But I don't want itunes stuff - I don't have itunes or an ipod, I do have a generic mp3 player. So I'm looking for pure unadulterated 192 or 320k mp3's of commercial tunes, stuff I can't get on beatport etc.

Where do I go ?

hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Wed Sep 20, 2006 6:52 pm

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Wed Sep 20, 2006 6:53 pm

hehe i love allofmp3

microsoft just opened urge
theres emusic (no drm)
mostly i use beatport.com for dance music and allofmp3.com for tracks i wanna buy just to mash up an fux with because of their superior encoding quality compared to apples pissy (albeit legal) offerings.

kennerb

Re: itunes - what's the alternative?

Post by kennerb » Wed Sep 20, 2006 6:56 pm

chymera wrote:I want to legally download some commercial major label albums (boo hiss!). But I don't want itunes stuff - I don't have itunes or an ipod, I do have a generic mp3 player. So I'm looking for pure unadulterated 192 or 320k mp3's of commercial tunes, stuff I can't get on beatport etc.

Where do I go ?
lot's of places.

www.bleep.com

http://www.liquidsounddesign.com/

http://www.juno.co.uk/

just for starters. do a search here for online music and there is a long list in at least one link.
3ghz Pentium 4 (Prescott), XP Sp2, 1gig Ram, Dual Monitor with Matrox Millenium, MOTU Traveler, Event EZ8 Adat card. Also IBM THinkpad t40 1.6 1 gig ram

dCross

Post by dCross » Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:12 pm

allofmp3.com skirts the legality line

just keep in mind that none of the artists are getting paid if you buy through allofmp3
Last edited by dCross on Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

donnydonny

Post by donnydonny » Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:04 pm

^^ and artists on itunes get something ridiculous like 70%
Macbook Pro 2.16GHz, 3GB, OS X 10.6.2, Live 7.0.18 (Triceratopz), Torq 1.5.2, M-Audio Xponent, Access Virus TI Polar, Trigger Finger

robin

Post by robin » Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:11 pm

dCross wrote:allofmp3.com skirts the legality line

just keep in mind that none of the artists are getting paid if you buy through allofmp3
I'm sure the original poster was joking. Allofmp3 have been in the news everywhere as being pirates.

It's not skirting any laws it's outright theft (yeah I have mates who've been diddled out of money by them).

stew

Post by stew » Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:01 pm

I'm very happy with emusic. They're much cheaper than iTunes and have (IMHO) the better selection as they carry mostly minor labels.

chymera

Post by chymera » Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:11 pm

emusic it is....

thanks all

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Thu Sep 21, 2006 2:35 am

stew wrote:I'm very happy with emusic. They're much cheaper than iTunes and have (IMHO) the better selection as they carry mostly minor labels.
yeah but where else can you buy rare old funk music at 320 or sometimes WAV encoding?

once again apple is more of a thief here. with allofmp3 you are paying for their bandwidth and also they had to go out and buy a copy of the CD anyway

i know my excuses are bullshit, but mate it shames on apples premium offerings.

craw

Post by craw » Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:42 am

Buy nothing for the moment. Spiralfrog.com is coming soon ... commercial music from the BIG commercial labels for free!

They (the commercial labels that is) have finally figured out that the advertising based revenue systems actually work and are more profitable than record companies (eg., myspace, google, etc.)

http://www.spiralfrog.com/

Check it out ... not online yet, but it is coming.

By the way, check out bleep.com for electronic stuff. Sometimes they are more than 3 times less expensive than beatport for the same albums (crazy but true ... do a search on both systems for 'plaid - not for threes' and check the price difference!!!! ... I dunno how beatport can stay in business with these prices ... sooner or later people will suss em out)
craw

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:07 am

craw wrote:Buy nothing for the moment. Spiralfrog.com is coming soon ... commercial music from the BIG commercial labels for free!

They (the commercial labels that is) have finally figured out that the advertising based revenue systems actually work and are more profitable than record companies (eg., myspace, google, etc.)

http://www.spiralfrog.com/

Check it out ... not online yet, but it is coming.

By the way, check out bleep.com for electronic stuff. Sometimes they are more than 3 times less expensive than beatport for the same albums (crazy but true ... do a search on both systems for 'plaid - not for threes' and check the price difference!!!! ... I dunno how beatport can stay in business with these prices ... sooner or later people will suss em out)
i had one of the heads of a major label here last week showing me this.

very cool concept for the masses.

evernaut

Post by evernaut » Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:28 am

I'd just have a listen first by grabbing it on BT.

If I liked it, I'd go and buy the cd and then rip it at the highest quality I could for mp3 player use. I'd then bore my friends senseless by extolling the virtues of Artist In Question until they finally took time to listen... and by then were so hooked that they'd buy it too. And so on.

If it's truly great music, you'll want to own the physical thing on cd or vinyl I reckon.
I know it's not really answering the question, but it's what I'd do.

It strikes me as a great way of weeding out the crap...natural selection for music lovers..only the good stuff actually gets bought as a thing.
The merely curiosity-inducing, but ultimately...pretty shite, stuff just gets downloaded, auditioned..... & finally, deleted.
And so no-one gets screwed out of money for music that you would've probably taken back to the shop anyway.