Do you guys consider Drum And Bass "Electronica"?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
chewy

I disagree..

Post by chewy » Fri Sep 22, 2006 3:23 am

palimpsest73 wrote:"Electronica" is a marketing term concocted by music industry douchebags as a umbrella for many different types of electronic music that they are too lazy to differentiate between.

The term "TECHNO" takes the cake.

~chewy
I like trance.

Apple Macbook Pro 2010 13inch, Windows 7 64bit, no OSX, Live 7.

Ball Sack

Post by Ball Sack » Fri Sep 22, 2006 10:57 am

No, thats why its called drum n bass

Ball Sack

Re: ..

Post by Ball Sack » Fri Sep 22, 2006 11:09 am

chewy wrote:
subterFUSE wrote:I consider it crap. :wink:
I mostly don't enjoy it either, and the whole Junglist thing is just plain silly.

I wouldn't call it crap though, there is some amazing melodic DNB out there.

I booked JohnB once. The dude was great and so was the music, it sounded like Trancy DNB with vocals and other craziness. I liked it.

But mostly I think it's weird, just like minimal tech.

~chewy
Clue?

ashtonron

Post by ashtonron » Fri Sep 22, 2006 11:13 am

It is it's own genre...

check out the stuff on recordings of substance, outsider, inperspective...
especially Macc...

There is still a load of great new drum and bass being made, just need to
search as there is a lot more of it being released than in 94-95-96

mikemc

Post by mikemc » Fri Sep 22, 2006 2:19 pm

Electronica is what it is given what 'electronica' is supposed to means, although the term is often derided as a term conceived by the music press.

fwiw, my thought is that Electronica would be a valid term where it means music that is wholly influenced by the electronic milieu and technological culture (for example, House, Jungle, Techno or Trance), as opposed to music that is electronically produced and heavily features electronic instruments (Hip Hop or Electronic Pop).
UTENZIL a tool... of the muse.

fatrabbit

Post by fatrabbit » Fri Sep 22, 2006 3:49 pm

On listening to Squarepusher I would say that quite a bit of his stuff could be classed as drum and bass - but only one classification of many.

Obviously, his great bass playing makes him a great exception.

aMUSEd

Post by aMUSEd » Sat Sep 23, 2006 12:04 am

Patch wrote:I defy anyone not to like Drum n' Bass after listening to Timeless, Circles and New Forms.

£ albums no collection should be without.
Yeah great stuff - don't forget Coded Language by DJ Krust as well :) Intelligent and listenable music.

Thing I like about the best DnB is it's brought back a strong jazz vibe into electronic based music - some of Goldie's stuff reminds me of Archie Shepp (Attica Blues period).

Ball Sack

Post by Ball Sack » Sat Sep 23, 2006 9:16 am

Listen to platinum breaks 1 and 2.

do_om

Post by do_om » Sat Sep 23, 2006 9:43 am

1st off the term "electronica" is probably the most overused tag ever used to
lump alot of electrnic music that cannot be thrown into the usual supects such
as dnb/techno/trance/breaks etc.

Dnb is dnb and that's is that, don't even call it jungle...Especially these days when dnb has gone all cookie cutter and pure dancefloor orientated. With acts such as pendulum etc, etc clownstep has come on the scence and these new-schoolers are slowly but surely turning the once headtwisting beatscience into the new HEAVY METAL !

Yeh

Post by Yeh » Sat Sep 23, 2006 9:58 am

As far as I know 'Electronica' is an American term for all kinds of breakbeat, techno and house genres. I think it's changing now, but they're not that much aware of the differences as we are in Europe (Yes, the UK is in Europe too). (This lack of genre awareness can have advantages too. :) )

Electronica is a vague and confusing term. I trie to avoid it, but some US programs and websites force you to use it, because they don't offer you more choice. It's always better than calling my music 'rock' or 'pop'.
Kind regardz,

Jos
http://www.portonova.nl

Ableton Live 8, Cubase 7, Melodyne Editor 2, Halion 4, Presonus Audiobox 44VSL soundcard, Windows 8, 64 bit, i5, 6 Gig RAM

koneko

Post by koneko » Sat Sep 23, 2006 1:37 pm

to me -- tech itch reinvented d'n'b and he's the only one i know who keeps on pushing the envelope in the rather rave-oriented scene of dnb http://www.myspace.com/techitch

besides, and after 3 years of pure d'n'b nutrition, i realized how limited this genre/scene turned out to be.

Electix88

Post by Electix88 » Sat Sep 23, 2006 10:57 pm

gomi wrote:
muscleandhate wrote:Drum and bass is drum and bass, techno is techno, house is house.
and a horse is a horse of course... unless....
Its not what you call it..its how it taste.
--

Insanity in individuals is something rare - but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.

Friedrich Nietzsche