wicked! live 6 outperforms live 5 by 223%!!!!

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
Aural Chaos

Post by Aural Chaos » Wed Sep 27, 2006 2:30 pm

A quick test with a mid-sized project had the beta 6 about 2-3% HIGHER for me...

mbenigni

Post by mbenigni » Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:04 am

So what gives? Was the first post blind optimism, Ableton spin, or did the guy just have the most perfectly optimized ALS on the planet?

mbenigni

Post by mbenigni » Thu Sep 28, 2006 3:49 pm

Is this the end of this thread? Barry is going to make a claim about performance gains right down to the last percent and then just orphan the whole discussion? Oy.

To add a little info, I've also noticed very little change in Live 6 when I enable vs. disable multi-core support. Goes from 17% to 16% at idle. Perhaps there is a problem at the OS level?? Or did the boys at Sony take me for a ride? :)

mbenigni

Post by mbenigni » Mon Oct 02, 2006 2:11 pm

Bumping this again now that the final is out. What are you Dual Core users finding in terms of CPU usage improvements? Anything?

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Mon Oct 02, 2006 2:17 pm

mbenigni wrote:Bumping this again now that the final is out. What are you Dual Core users finding in terms of CPU usage improvements? Anything?
I got nearly double the power on my dual g5. Big sets run about 80% better.

makehaste

Post by makehaste » Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:44 pm

OK
now ive read all you talk about L6 on dual core machines now i have a free upgrade to 6 i have yet to take advantage of i want to install it for it rack and all the other bells and whistles but i run Live 5 on a old dual 1 ghz G4.
live 5 runs fine right now (except for the fact that i dont use any third party pluggins).....im wondering since i run live on such a old machine if live 6 would be more cpu intinsive just by itself then 5 if anyone has any insite i would appreicate any advice
thanks
ryjan

reptar

Post by reptar » Tue Oct 03, 2006 2:13 am

On my macbook a set that was around 40% in 5 was around 28% in the 6 Beta.

tylenol

Post by tylenol » Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:48 am

mbenigni wrote:Bumping this again now that the final is out. What are you Dual Core users finding in terms of CPU usage improvements? Anything?
Really significant, but for the most part its highly dependent on what you're doing (really! I don't know why people don't seem to believe that when someone says it!). In most of my songs that I've checked I have seen the CPU usage about halved; however I don't use many external plugins, and the routing is not complicated.

An experiment you could try in the demo to see if it does what you want (I tried this during the beta; it came up in some thread a few weeks ago): put reverbs set to "first class" on tracks with some audio sources. If you put two in parallel, you will see that the CPU use does not increase, but if you put them in series it does. On a blank set on a macbook, with some audio files as sources, 2 first class reverbs in series I get 15-16% CPU use, and in parallel, 9%. On 5.2, it is 16% either way.

forgie

Post by forgie » Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:39 am

makehaste wrote:OK
now ive read all you talk about L6 on dual core machines now i have a free upgrade to 6 i have yet to take advantage of i want to install it for it rack and all the other bells and whistles but i run Live 5 on a old dual 1 ghz G4.
live 5 runs fine right now (except for the fact that i dont use any third party pluggins).....im wondering since i run live on such a old machine if live 6 would be more cpu intinsive just by itself then 5 if anyone has any insite i would appreicate any advice
thanks
ryjan
Dude, the go is: if you have multi-cores, L6 will be better 99% of the time. If you have a single core machine, they're probably about the same. You have a multi-core machine. GET THE UPGRADE!

TheAnimal

Post by TheAnimal » Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:15 pm

With Live 6 it feels like I got a new computer :)
MacBook Pro, iMac i5, Fireface 800, Fireface 400

ikke

Post by ikke » Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:55 am

L6 demo runs smoother than L5. Allthough there seem to be more clicks and pops when using low latency..

martian

Post by martian » Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:22 am

on my dual G5 2 gig ( 3.5 gig RAM)

I just had a quick go and in Live 6 it seemed to play set's it was stumbling on in live 5

not very sciantific but I had happy ears - it was literally dropping out when it came across plug in intensive sections....

will try and push it a bit later but so far so good -

actually liked the look of a couple of things.. the line when u drag clips in arrange mode.. show autoamted para's only is nice..

haven't read the manual yet - but noticed a new button or 2! ( slave button under warp??)

martian

Post by martian » Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:34 am

Live 6 also plays better with a wacom tablet now - there were a few bugs that seem to have disappearred - ( the worst one being adjusting clip gain - if you forgot to do the pia workaround it would accidentally set clip gain to 24dB !!!!!!! )

pleased to say GONE!

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:39 am

martian wrote:( slave button under warp??)
that being the default state of a clip. hit the button and it will light and be set as "master" -- meaning that the clip will play normally (as if unwarped) and it's warp markers will be used to generate a tempo map on the master tempo envelope.

mercyplease

Post by mercyplease » Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:19 am

I can confirm an improvement but cant say with any accuracy right now as Ive been to busy using the new Freeze. That alone has given my computer a new lease of life. With live 5 it was game over very quickly and it was to much of a pain to freeze and unfreeze if I wanted to move a clip. Now I can do this with ease its just great and this alone helps my creativity a lot.
I have noticed my hard drive and fans working a lot more with live 6. I think that has something to do with nearly every track beng freezed (not flattened)

Im quite shocked that there isnt a huge thread on this feature. For those with laptops or people with older computers this is really a god send. I was about ready to go for a dual cpu machine but I dont really think im going to need it now as Freeze is working beyond my expectations.
HA HA HA :twisted: