need a specific delay sound, help please

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Johnisfaster

need a specific delay sound, help please

Post by Johnisfaster » Wed Sep 27, 2006 8:37 pm

ok so I'm playing a show tonight and I was playing with some fx and I started wanting a specific delay sound. I want a delay that can be in real small milisecond delays that I can tweak the rate on the fly. lives delay does this but it clicks when you change the rate which won't do. AND I don't want it to pitch change when you tweak it. so far I've found tons of delays that either pitch change when you tweak the rate or click when you change the rate but none of them seem to just make that smooth buzzing sound I'm looking for.

help!

I need this for osx by the way.
I'll love you if you find something.
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

Angelo

Post by Angelo » Wed Sep 27, 2006 8:41 pm

Hi

mabey mess around with Ableton lives beat repeat. it can give the effect you are after and is really flexible in the live situation.

hope that helps.

edit: and to give it that delay effect and a reverb to it. good luck

edit x2: thinking about hwat i just wrote it probably doesnt help at all. sorry

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Wed Sep 27, 2006 8:53 pm

not quite, with really really small delay times and feedback way up you can get rather granular sounds which is what I'm looking for. I can get these sounds with most delays but I want to be able to tweak delay time without getting clicks and most delays either click or pitch change when you tweak the rate.
ugh.
thanks though.
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

Angelo

Post by Angelo » Wed Sep 27, 2006 8:56 pm

Have you tried the preset for the simple delay plugin?, its called disharmonics. its give that kind of stutter,buzz glitch sound and im guesing with a bit move "tweaking" you can get it to give it that buzzing sound.

c1c2

Post by c1c2 » Wed Sep 27, 2006 8:58 pm

Ohmboyz maybe?
I99900K WIn10
Win11 and Tuxedo Gemini 2
RME Babyface & UFX I
..some additional Synth hardware :)

Angelo

Post by Angelo » Wed Sep 27, 2006 8:58 pm

Johnisfaster wrote:not quite, with really really small delay times and feedback way up you can get rather granular sounds which is what I'm looking for. I can get these sounds with most delays but I want to be able to tweak delay time without getting clicks and most delays either click or pitch change when you tweak the rate.
ugh.
thanks though.
for a granular delay effect try this one by smartelectronix http://www.smartelectronix.com/~koen/KTGranulator/

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:17 pm

ohmboyz is almost what I'm looking for, I think I need to stop searching for now cause I'm missing practice time, thanks.

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:41 pm

Something like this?

Quick and dirty tweak done in the middle of a totally wrong track, but you get the idea, anyways.
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

apfEID

Post by apfEID » Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:01 pm

Johnisfaster wrote: I can get these sounds with most delays but I want to be able to tweak delay time without getting clicks and most delays either click or pitch change when you tweak the rate.
ugh.
thanks though.
this is because of the way delay effects are made, generally.

what precise behavior are you looking for the delay effect to have when the rate changes?

when you have a delay with a feedback buffer, and you change the duration of the delay, you either have to stretch out the buffer, or you have to (add silence to | clip the) buffer to the new size. Most delays are designed to have the buffer act like old tape delays do and they adjust the pitch of the buffer to fill the new duration.

might be interesting to build a delay in max that tempo-sync's the delay length by restricting playback of a larger buffer to the length of the desired delay, without any pitching or clicking when changing length. would sound different, that's for sure.

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Thu Sep 28, 2006 3:11 am

maybe using the sampler, modulating the loop length?

eeerm, but i guess you nah can do that on an audio stream

COSM

Post by COSM » Thu Sep 28, 2006 3:14 am

What about the grain delay? set the feedback to 80-90 and play with the delay time in small incriments...

yourmom

Post by yourmom » Thu Sep 28, 2006 3:30 am

you want a delay with an interpolated time. i havent found too many vst effects that do this as well as a real analog delay or tape delay or even as well as the delay models on the line 6 dl4 delay pedal..

http://mdsp.smartelectronix.com/classic/ -- analog delay on this page will do what you want. as well as some nice oscillation. its what i reach for most of the time. though the pitch does change when you tweak time. but that happens with all analog and tape delays too... :roll:

http://illformed.org/glitch/ -- the delay section in dblue glitch has an interpolated time. but it is very clinical sounding. can be good for some stuff. not so good for other stuffs...

http://www.interruptor.ch/vst_overview.shtml -- i use analogic and bionic delay on this page kind if often too.

that along with a couple of reaktor ensembles pretty much fulfill my interpolated delay needs.

whoops... i just read you are working in osx.. sorry. as much as i love osx i cannot do without my windows freewares. at least you can still use the mdsp one.. :roll:

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Thu Sep 28, 2006 8:18 am

I totally forgot; the above example is done using a single note of Resonator...
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

c1c2

Post by c1c2 » Thu Sep 28, 2006 8:45 pm

Machinate, you´re a wiz.. 8)
I99900K WIn10
Win11 and Tuxedo Gemini 2
RME Babyface & UFX I
..some additional Synth hardware :)

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Fri Sep 29, 2006 1:38 am

Machinate wrote:Something like this?

Quick and dirty tweak done in the middle of a totally wrong track, but you get the idea, anyways.
almost exactly what I was hoping to do, I've done similar things but for some reason yesturday I just couldn't get exactly what I was hoping to do. I wanted to do it live on a certain track I had and it just never ended up with the right feel.

maybe it just wasn't meant to be.

what were you using on that track?