What is the use of deep freeze if .......?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
feeldamusic

What is the use of deep freeze if .......?

Post by feeldamusic » Sun Oct 01, 2006 5:01 am

the overlaping frozen clips cancel out eachother. In other words, there is no automatic crossfades.

To better explain myself, try the following:
1) Create a midi clip with some long decaying sound.
2) Freeze this track. This will freeze the midi clip duration and also add a freeze tail clip.
3) Paste a copy of this frozen midi clip ontop of the freeze tail clip.

You will notice that the freeze tail clip will become silent as soon as the second clip is played.
I don't think this goes well with the whole idea of deep freeze.

Is there any way to prevent this from happening?

I think I must be doing something wrong because on the "New features in Live6" video it sounds like there is no cancelling when you overlap the freeze tail.
Last edited by feeldamusic on Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Airwave

Post by Airwave » Sun Oct 01, 2006 6:28 am

deep freeze twice the same midi clips repeated and then flatten. only repeat the second part... if your midi clip is 4 bars, repeat it, and deep freeze 8 bars etc...

L.
OOPS

feeldamusic

Post by feeldamusic » Sun Oct 01, 2006 6:34 am

Airwave wrote:deep freeze twice the same midi clips repeated and then flatten. only repeat the second part... if your midi clip is 4 bars, repeat it, and deep freeze 8 bars etc...

L.
Hey Laurent!
Very nice to have one of my favorite producers reply to me hehe

To get back to my issue, the way you explained also works but what is the point of having the option to copy/paste frozen clips if they can't overlap eachother? I think it's kind of lame :(

Also, how come on the "Live6 new features" video it shows as if it is possible to overlap the freeze tail without cancelation?

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Sun Oct 01, 2006 6:55 am

when you freeze a midi track that has alot of tails then move things around you'll start cutting off tails here and there which you don't want, but if you move things and then unfreeze and then freeze it again you should get a new freeze of the current possition of all the clips and the tails should be in tact.

unless I'm totally confused. I (like everyone) have not been with live 6 for long...
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

feeldamusic

Post by feeldamusic » Sun Oct 01, 2006 6:57 pm

Johnisfaster wrote:when you freeze a midi track that has alot of tails then move things around you'll start cutting off tails here and there which you don't want, but if you move things and then unfreeze and then freeze it again you should get a new freeze of the current possition of all the clips and the tails should be in tact.

unless I'm totally confused. I (like everyone) have not been with live 6 for long...
Ya, but wouldn't it be easier if you could overlap clips without cancelation? (in other words, if there were automatic crossfades) This way, you could just freeze a short sequence and then make multiple copies throughout the song.

Once again, I swear that on the "New Features in Live6" video it shows that this is possible.
Last edited by feeldamusic on Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nokatus

Post by Nokatus » Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:08 pm

After it's frozen, you can think of it as an audio clip. The same thing happens with a normal audio clip containing a long decay: if you place another copy on top of the decay, on the same track, it cuts it off. What you're actually hoping for is playing multiple clips on the same track simultaneously (crossfading).

However, as you can drag and copy the frozen clip where ever you want, you can (for example) use two audio tracks to host the subsequent copies, just like you would do when arranging audio clips with a similar long tail.

feeldamusic

Post by feeldamusic » Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:18 pm

Nokatus wrote:After it's frozen, you can think of it as an audio clip. The same thing happens with a normal audio clip containing a long decay: if you place another copy on top of the decay, on the same track, it cuts it off. What you're actually hoping for is playing multiple clips on the same track simultaneously (crossfading).

However, as you can drag and copy the frozen clip where ever you want, you can (for example) use two audio tracks to host the subsequent copies, just like you would do when arranging audio clips with a similar long tail.
You exactly read my mind. I think something like automatic crossfades is very crucial for improving the workflow. I don't get it why Live still doesn't have this feature (although I saw it being done on that Live6 video)

Airwave

Post by Airwave » Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:58 pm

feeldamusic wrote:
Airwave wrote:deep freeze twice the same midi clips repeated and then flatten. only repeat the second part... if your midi clip is 4 bars, repeat it, and deep freeze 8 bars etc...

L.
Hey Laurent!
Very nice to have one of my favorite producers reply to me hehe

To get back to my issue, the way you explained also works but what is the point of having the option to copy/paste frozen clips if they can't overlap eachother? I think it's kind of lame :(

Also, how come on the "Live6 new features" video it shows as if it is possible to overlap the freeze tail without cancelation?
nice to see you here!! :-)

well I've always been recording all of my vsti or synths to audio directly for years, and rendering double duration is to my eyes the most convenient way to do so. Otherwise it gets so complicated to me ;-)

L.
OOPS