All times are UTC

Post subject: Logic Pro vs. Ableton Live DEATHMATCH
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 9:47 pm 

Why is it that Apple / Emagic decided to include all of the features of Logic Pro e.g. Sculpture, Ultrabeat, etc - whereas Ableton decided to make Operator & Sampler separate purchases?

Factoring into this also is the fact that there is Logic Express, and Logic Pro - Express being the watered down version...

What do you guys think? It just kind of sucks having to pay for the extra functionality, which I feel should already be at home in the main program to begin with.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 9:54 pm 

basicly its like this, how much is the logic pro with included instruments that you are comparing to Live 6 without sampler and operator, then add the cost of sampler and operator and compare that price to logic pro.

Thanks for the Slicer Abe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 10:01 pm 

I had considered that, and perhaps should have included that in my initial post. What percentage of Ableton Live users do you think purchase Operator & Sampler? If the number is high, perhaps they should consider simply integrating it into the main product. Not that I'm a fan of higher prices or anything. All I know is that... well... I'm starting to agree more and more with your reply.

Post subject: Re: Logic Pro vs. Ableton Live DEATHMATCH
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 10:09 pm 

psilopsyche wrote:
Why is it that Apple / Emagic decided to include all of the features of Logic Pro e.g. Sculpture, Ultrabeat, etc - whereas Ableton decided to make Operator & Sampler separate purchases?

Factoring into this also is the fact that there is Logic Express, and Logic Pro - Express being the watered down version...

What do you guys think? It just kind of sucks having to pay for the extra functionality, which I feel should already be at home in the main program to begin with.

I think you should buy logic pro and with logic pro in your hand should subsequently jump off a cliff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 10:09 pm 

well for starters there aren't a lot of people djing with Logic ;-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 10:33 pm 

Apples strategy, after buying Emagic, was to BLITZ the competition with an unheard-of price point for their software. Of course this software runs best on the biggest, shiniest, newest APPLE hardware.

It's a loss leader. Sell 'em cheap software once, and they'll buy new hardware every 3-4 years to run it on. That's why Apple can afford to sell Logic so cheaply.

As a long-time Logic user, I paid for the ES-1, the EXS-24 and the Evoc vocoder as separate upgrades before they became included in the Logic package.

Ableton, not being a hardware manufacturer, can't claw back the cost of software development, except through selling their software.

Last edited by Pitch Black on Sun Oct 01, 2006 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 10:37 pm 

I think that separating the instruments is quite good. I would never have bought Live a year ago if it cost 999 dollars instead of 400 or what the price was at the time.
The operator app I never thought I would use so I basically ignored it, until one day I found some wicked sounds for it.
Someday maybe I will get the sampler, but I don´t see it in my future right now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 10:42 pm 

What's to compare?
F*ck all, imo.
Own them both. Do different things with them. Where's the story?
Apple, as has been said, took over Emagic and punted out Logic with all the bundled instruments as a loss leader for their hardware.
Ableton have a different strategy and a different piece of software.

MBP 2.2 4Gb 7200 RME FF400 Live 6.0.9
G4 Dual 450 3Gb RME Multiface Live 6.0.9
Intel MacMini Duo 1.6 2Gb RME FF400 Live 6.0.9
Toshiba P25 3Ghz 2Gb RME Multiface Live 6.0.9 XP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 11:49 pm 

This is simple marketing and you can't deny that it's Apple's strong point. Which makes more sense: trying to sell a $200 program that can only be used by existing customers or trying to sell your $600 program to a larger market of all potential DAW users, DJs and electronic musicians who will then get sucked into yearly $200 updates? In my opinion Ableton would probably be better off if they included Operator and Sampler for free with Live and simply raised the price $50.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 11:56 pm 

melocoton wrote:
This is simple marketing and you can't deny that it's Apple's strong point. Which makes more sense: trying to sell a $200 program that can only be used by existing customers or trying to sell your $600 program to a larger market of all potential DAW users, DJs and electronic musicians who will then get sucked into yearly $200 updates? In my opinion Ableton would probably be better off if they included Operator and Sampler for free with Live and simply raised the price $50.

I am in agreement with you on this. I find it an inconvenience to have to buy these things separately.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:02 am 

psilopsyche wrote:

I am in agreement with you on this. I find it an inconvenience to have to buy these things separately.

I'd rather see them sold separately than bundled with Live at an additional cost of $350. Particularly since I don't intend to buy Sampler.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 2:30 am 

The point is that it shouldn't be an additional cost of $350.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 2:42 am 

psilopsyche wrote:
I had considered that, and perhaps should have included that in my initial post. What percentage of Ableton Live users do you think purchase Operator & Sampler? If the number is high, perhaps they should consider simply integrating it into the main product. Not that I'm a fan of higher prices or anything. All I know is that... well... I'm starting to agree more and more with your reply.

I for one do not need sampler. therefore i am quite happy not pay extra
for a tool i will likely never user... ever.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 2:47 am 

I am glad Ableton did not bundle them and raise the price. I just upgraded to Live 6 and did not get Sampler. Since I own Kontakt, Sampler just did not offer enough that I cannot do in Kontakt to convince me to buy it. I'd be annoyed if I were forced to buy it by having it included.

I am quite happy with the $120 Live 6 upgrade and price.

And I have all the 3rd party synths, sampler, effects etc that I need anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 2:51 am 

melocoton wrote:
The point is that it shouldn't be an additional cost of $350.

Why?