Ableton Sampler V's Reason's Sampler

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
resonatorman

Ableton Sampler V's Reason's Sampler

Post by resonatorman » Mon Oct 02, 2006 4:14 am

Hi Folks
I have yet to upgrade from 5.2 to 6 yet as primarily I was wanting to hear about other's experiences with Sampler. Anyway my question is, anyone who has had some time to experience it &/or also have expreience with Reason's sampler how does it rate? Or is it like comparing apples & oranges? I have Reason 3, but I wouldn't mind keeping as much as possible in Live, but as I have a sampler in Reason I need to justify the cost. Am I best sticking using the sampler in Reason & using rewire to Live or is it worth shelling out the dough for it? Your valuable opinions & advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
MBP 2.5ghz 4gb + Live 8.2.1 (Suite)

jb61264

Post by jb61264 » Mon Oct 02, 2006 4:43 am

I use Reason, but haven't really delved too much into the sampler(s) that are available. I'd be interested in a comparison also.

Maybe if you've used Reasons sampler(s) quite a bit you could download the Live 6 and Sampler demo and give a whirl and post your feedback? I'd be interested in hearing others thoughts about this too.

I've seen the Sampler video and from what I saw, it is the sh!t but I don't have anything to really compare it against
3.2 GHz Windows XP, Live 7, Reason 4, FL Studio 7, Stylus RMX, Sytrus, Toxic III, Novation X-Station 49, Akai MPD24, EMu XK6, Roland MC-303, Gemini BPM5000 Mixer, MBox

mooncaine

Post by mooncaine » Mon Oct 02, 2006 4:54 am

I'd be interested in this, too. I use Reason and I'm new to Ableton Live.

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:40 am

reason's sampler has one benefit: you can adjust different zones independently for filter settings, envelopes etc.

Live's sampler's advantages are: morph filter, fm/am osc, sample playback modulation, drag and drop clips/sounds from browser, looping envelopes with time/velocity setting, simpler conversion, and did I mention fm osc? I like that one.

The afore mentioned reason sampler benefit doesn't really matter to me personally. I've realized that I rarely edit individual zones differently with filters etc.

Also, the disadvantage to reasons sampler are: you gotta rewire reason to use it in live, and you gotta deal with a bunch of cables. I use software so that I don't have to look at cables, don't know about you.

cheers,

grb
Professional Shark Jumper.

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:42 am

btw, mooncaine, what the hell's going on with that chick in your sig? I can't figure it out. Is she waterskiing? or laying on the beach and suddenly got terrified by something? It's driving me nuts. wha' happened?...
Professional Shark Jumper.

melocoton

Post by melocoton » Mon Oct 02, 2006 6:06 am

Hey, I hear that reason ($500) comes with a sampler!

noratronika

Post by noratronika » Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:52 am

melocoton wrote:Hey, I hear that reason ($500) comes with a sampler!
Yes NN-XT, personally I've been using AL6Sampler for a few hours and have made more progress in that as a sampler than I have with NN-XT over 2 years. Game Over.
ImageDellXPS M1710-2.16GHz//Event 20/20's//A LIVE6//Cubase L3//Reason 3.04//NI Electro Instruments//Motu UL FW//M-Audio FW 18/14//KorgRadias//KorgKontrol49//M-Audio Axiom25/UC-33///KP3...

even

Post by even » Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:57 am

noratronika wrote:
Yes NN-XT, personally I've been using AL6Sampler for a few hours and have made more progress in that as a sampler than I have with NN-XT over 2 years. Game Over.
same here. it's amazing how fast i got to know and use sampler efficiently. i could never do taht with kontakt hard as i tried. it's the fact that sampler is so much like live that you can get it up and running in no time.

mooncaine

Post by mooncaine » Mon Oct 02, 2006 12:22 pm

glitchrock-buddha wrote:btw, mooncaine, what the hell's going on with that chick in your sig? I can't figure it out. Is she waterskiing? or laying on the beach and suddenly got terrified by something? It's driving me nuts. wha' happened?...
It looks like someone snapped a pic of of a somewhat famous person, and it looks to me like she has found something horrible in her crotch. The meditating man seems disturbed by this as well, or at least puzzled.

I see it as open to interpretation, but that's my take on it. I imagine her thinking, "OMG, what did I *do* last night? It's a mess in there!"

Let's put this way: her laptop has issues.

mooncaine

Post by mooncaine » Mon Oct 02, 2006 12:29 pm

2 samplers, in fact. One has loads of features, like the aforementioned velocity and key ranges for filters, and can hold multiple samples in it, which you can split or mix pretty much any way you want.

The other is the earlier sampler, useful for those times when you don't need all that fancy stuff and don't need the extra drain on the CPU that comes with it.

I *like* the Reason cable interface [well, mostly I like the knobs and faders on screen], but you don't have to use it. You can hide it, never see the cables and still do all the same connections as before. Right-click on an output or input, and a pop-up menu takes you directly to the ins and outs that you can connect to.

The only thing I downgrade Reason for, in the context of this thread, is that it does not record audio.

mooncaine

Post by mooncaine » Mon Oct 02, 2006 12:30 pm

What I don't know is: anything about Sampler in Ableton Live. So seeing the arguments in favor of Sampler is educational for me. Bring it on!

alterim

Post by alterim » Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:36 pm

live's sampler instrument has great sound design options with it's osc and aux modulations and filters, the only problem i have with it is unlike the simpler, i can't seem to find any way of automating the samplestart.

scientist

Post by scientist » Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:53 pm

alterim wrote:live's sampler instrument has great sound design options with it's osc and aux modulations and filters, the only problem i have with it is unlike the simpler, i can't seem to find any way of automating the samplestart.
the best you can do is use sampler's midi pane and assign the mod or pitch wheel to the sample start point. i don't understand why they did this. seems like everything you can do in sampler's midi pane should just be part of the general midi assign mode.

scientist

Post by scientist » Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:58 pm

if you mainly want a sampler for playing back multisampled instruments, there's no need to switch. in fact i've heard sampler has problems converting velocity layers of some file formats. another problem is if you have sample collections in refill format they can't be converted (legally) to work in any other sampler.

Poster

Post by Poster » Mon Oct 02, 2006 4:44 pm

NN-XT's concept is pretty decent..
but it only has a handful of automatable parameters and it's filters are pretty thin..