MusicTech review: Live 6 lacks audio quality!!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
rolfski

MusicTech review: Live 6 lacks audio quality!!

Post by rolfski » Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:14 pm

I just picked up the October issue of MusicTech magazine, curious of course how Live 6 got reviewed. They gave it a 8/10, their main gripes being the limited editing functions and audio quality still behind compared to the major DAWs:

"Although the relative audio quality of the various sequencers is a controversial subject, in our experiences mixes made in Live can suffer a bit in overall crispness and clarity; this difference can be heard if the individual audio tracks are exported one at a time and then imported into another sequencer for mixing."

Has anyone also experienced this? If true this would be a major bummer for me. :(

b0unce

Post by b0unce » Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:19 pm

ableton live sounds as good as any other daw
Last edited by b0unce on Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
spreader of butter

The Phat Conductor

Post by The Phat Conductor » Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:33 pm

it's the timestretching.

if you take the timestretch off it exports fine.

you will notice the same thing with other sequencers.

the people who wrote that review don't know what's up.

that said, the compressors and eqs could be a lot better. load up a tune you're working on and then try replacing all of your comps and eqs with waves audiotrack and see the difference it makes. it is shocking.

i had to install windows on my macbook for producing as a result. boo-urns.

EDIT: posted after the comment below ;) he isn't referring to my post.
Last edited by The Phat Conductor on Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ill gates aka the phat conductor
producer, performer + ableton/music teacher

http://www.illgates.com

leisuremuffin

Post by leisuremuffin » Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:33 pm

bullshit.

edit, yeah, of course i'm talking about the idea the live's sound quality is somehow different from other daws.

.lm.
Last edited by leisuremuffin on Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TimeableFloat ???S?e?n?d?I?n?f?o

djmyke

Post by djmyke » Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:45 pm

another protools trashtalk

old protools cant learn new tricks wit ableton

live 7. reason 4
maudio fwire 410 axiom 49. fcb1010
taylor 614ce
banshee talkbox

ashley_k

Re: MusicTech review: Live 6 lacks audio quality!!

Post by ashley_k » Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:49 pm

rolfski wrote:I just picked up the October issue of MusicTech magazine, curious of course how Live 6 got reviewed. They gave it a 8/10, their main gripes being the limited editing functions and audio quality still behind compared to the major DAWs:

"Although the relative audio quality of the various sequencers is a controversial subject, in our experiences mixes made in Live can suffer a bit in overall crispness and clarity; this difference can be heard if the individual audio tracks are exported one at a time and then imported into another sequencer for mixing."

Has anyone also experienced this? If true this would be a major bummer for me. :(
I was going to post a bit about this as it’s seem an incredibly poor way to review a product in a magazine, but I didn't think anyone took MusicTech magazine seriously any more.

They don’t give or seem to have any evidence for suggesting Live has inferior audio quality and using words like “perceived” in a review lead one to the conclusion that it’s not really a credible review, for instance they don’t even mention the missing “edit” button.

It will be interesting to see what a more credible magazine like Sound on Sound has to say in its review of Live 6.

For the time being I’d suggest that you import your reading to another more credible publication such as the Beano or a comic of your choice.

The only major bummer for you is if you actually paid for this pathetic magazine.

the unknown wanderer

Post by the unknown wanderer » Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:58 pm

it does sound different to logic i must say

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:10 pm

the unknown wanderer wrote:it does sound different to logic i must say
proove it ;)
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

the unknown wanderer

Post by the unknown wanderer » Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:23 pm

i did not say it logic sounded better, just different.

but it depends on the quality of the plugs you use ,with the right mastering tools you can change the sound every thing

franknputer

Post by franknputer » Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:36 pm

The only way to really tell is to load both DAWs with the same source files & export them, then do a comparative spectral analysis of the results.

Sounds like maybe they were talking out of their... :idea:

stew

Post by stew » Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:44 pm

Let me guess...their other DAWs were half a decibel (or three) louder than Live? Even when you don't perceive it as being louder, just a slight difference in volume makes things sound better to the human ear (which is why all radio stations compress the sh*t out of the songs they play).

There's no secret sauce in mixing that would make one DAW sound crisper than another. A magazine called "MusicTech" should be capable of tracking down why it sounds different or at least finding a better description than "crispness and clarity" - that sounds suspiciously like VooDoo Hifi magazines telling me I should put my CDs in the freezer and buy gold-plated power cables.

noratronika

Re: MusicTech review: Live 6 lacks audio quality!!

Post by noratronika » Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:47 pm

rolfski wrote:I just picked up the October issue of MusicTech magazine, curious of course how Live 6 got reviewed. They gave it a 8/10, their main gripes being the limited editing functions and audio quality still behind compared to the major DAWs:

:(
I'l take it seriously when its written in Sound on sound.
ImageDellXPS M1710-2.16GHz//Event 20/20's//A LIVE6//Cubase L3//Reason 3.04//NI Electro Instruments//Motu UL FW//M-Audio FW 18/14//KorgRadias//KorgKontrol49//M-Audio Axiom25/UC-33///KP3...

the unknown wanderer

Post by the unknown wanderer » Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:52 pm

franknputer wrote:The only way to really tell is to load both DAWs with the same source files & export them, then do a comparative spectral analysis of the results.

Sounds like maybe they were talking out of their... :idea:
ok here goes...... here is a little loop i made up using just ableton reverb and logic reverb

i did not alter the settings just how they came as they were loaded

now you can argue that they are different plug ins but what im trying to say is that logic plugs sound different to ableton plugs. not one is better than the other.

cos ultimatly is the plugs you use to create and define your sound

so here is logic
http://www.yousendit.com/download/Gz1YegCtYZc%3D

here is ableton
http://download.yousendit.com/11A665A042B73A9D
Last edited by the unknown wanderer on Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:56 pm

Here's the testing I did with Live 6 and SX3:

http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=45804

Comparing anything that uses different plug ins is not a comparison at all. You're not saying Live sounds different than Logic, you're saying Live's Reverb sounds different than Logic's Reverb, which means....nothing.

Of course all host plug ins sound different, but if you were to compare the same VST plug ins in both hosts, the results would be identical.

leisuremuffin

Post by leisuremuffin » Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:58 pm

yes, plug ins sound different from each other.

that is not what the quote in the magazine says.

And that's not what a lot of puffed up morons are saying when they complain about live's summing bus being somehow subpar.

.lm.
TimeableFloat ???S?e?n?d?I?n?f?o