Newbie Question

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
spdemac

Newbie Question

Post by spdemac » Sun Apr 14, 2002 6:36 pm

I have been playing drums (lately vdrums) for 10+ years. Now I am making the dive into digital and play only Roland VDrums right now.

The question is can I load samples into Live and then play them via the vDrums?

Sorry for the basic question.

FrankH

Post by FrankH » Sun Apr 14, 2002 8:41 pm

Hi spdemac,

Well it's not a sampler if you are looking for that, go for eg. GigaSampler.
But when you like to trigger loops, Live can be your partner.
The power of Live is triggering samples, loops, or whatever you want, in real time.
And don't worry about it, it will be beat synced, Live does realtime time-stretching, put a sample in, and it is in sync.
The big advantage of Live is the user-interface, you can modify all very easy and fast, no complicated menues.

I play synthesizer/keyboards rock/jazz/lounge/orwhateveryouliketocallit, electronic rythmic compositions, my perfect tools are "Emagic Logic Audio" and "Ableton Live". High quality, flexible, reliable.

Just download the demo and find out for you self if it fit's your way of creating music.

Enjoy it.

Frank Heijkamp

PS. search the forum for topics about Akai MPC 2000, there are some ppl around using it with Live, maybe that's what you're looking for.

spdemac

Thanks

Post by spdemac » Sun Apr 14, 2002 10:02 pm

Frank,

Thanks for the advice. I am not worried about it being a sampler. I guess I will just give it a shot and see what I can come up with. I am planning on loading samples and loops into into it and then triggering them all from the drumset.

Thanks,
spdemac

btester

Post by btester » Tue Apr 16, 2002 5:12 am

Hey there. I have experimented with this. If there was a volume envelope for each clip, this process might work better. This would allow you to have each clip set to gate and have it fade somewhat each time it is triggered. That is, if you want to work the clip triggering in a more physical way. If you just want to turn loops on and off with triggers, Live will definitely woork great for this. Simply set each clip's trigger mode to toggle.