Hints / tips for using BCR / BCF in Auto-map mode?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Meta

Hints / tips for using BCR / BCF in Auto-map mode?

Post by Meta » Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:30 am

Hi all,

I've downloaded the Live 6 demo and have been quite blown away by it's CPU usage on my MacbookPro.

However I'm a bit underwhelmed with the auto-map function with my BCR2000 and BCF2000. The BCF is mainly being used for transport functions, volume etc so it's mainly the BCR I'd like to get to work but even though everything is set up right in the control surfaces menu and the little blue hand is showing on the simpler interface to indicate that it's under auto-map control nothing seems to happen when I'm turning the knobs.

So was wondering if anybody has tips or advice on how to get the most out of Live 6 and a BCR2000 in auto-map mode?

Macbook Pro 2Ghz, 2 gigs of Ram, Live 6.01 demo.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Wed Oct 04, 2006 5:25 pm

options->preferences->midi
list it under the control surfaces
if it still doesn't automap following the blue hand hit the 'dump' button next to the control surface
the vegas light show will start up on the BCR followed by 'err22'. a new preset was uploaded to the bcr, save it off and try again. Apparently the dump feature is STILL broken and this is just a partial upload, the 8 encoders in Group A will automap. To get full automap, go to www.thecovertoperators.com and look for the BCR files and upload preset #1 back onto your BCR with the crap BCREdit software or MIDI OX (PC).

Meta

Post by Meta » Thu Oct 05, 2006 5:04 am

Tone Deft wrote: if it still doesn't automap following the blue hand hit the 'dump' button next to the control surface
I suspect this is the part that I was missing, as soon as I'm back near my gear I'll try it and hope for the best.

Thank you very much! :)

Meta

Post by Meta » Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:58 am

Tone Deft wrote:Apparently the dump feature is STILL broken and this is just a partial upload, the 8 encoders in Group A will automap. To get full automap, go to www.thecovertoperators.com and look for the BCR files and upload preset #1 back onto your BCR with the crap BCREdit software or MIDI OX (PC).
Hi again,

I just tried the dump feature and got no reaction what so ever out of the BCR even though it is showing up correctly in the Audio midi manager and in Live. Rather than dink around with too much I'd rather just go for the full automap but I can't seem to find the files on www.thecovertoperators.com. Do you know where they are?

Thank you for your help :)

jackobyte

Automap WORKING for BCF2000!!!!

Post by jackobyte » Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:59 pm

Hi again,

I just tried the dump feature and got no reaction what so ever out of the BCR even though it is showing up correctly in the Audio midi manager and in Live. Rather than dink around with too much I'd rather just go for the full automap but I can't seem to find the files on www.thecovertoperators.com. Do you know where they are?

Thank you for your help Smile
Here's the solution........... Set your BCF to bC mode, USB Mode 1 by holding down Edit and pressing Store then turn knob 1 all left until you see u-1, hit Exit, the screen should now display P- 1. Download MIDIOX http://www.midiox.com/zip/midioxse.exe and install it. Click Options - MIDI Devices... Select BCF2000(01) in both input and output (they will highlight blue)..... click View - Sysex..... In the new window click Command Window - Load File... browse to <LIVE 6.0.1 folder>\Resources\MIDI Remote Scripts\BCF2000 and load the preset.syx file. Click Command Window - Send/Recieve Sysex. Wait until it has completed. Open up Live 6 and set your control surface to BCF2000 and it's done!!!!!! Yeha!!!!!! The bestest cheapest controller on the market now has automap!!!

Enjoy!! 8) :P

I don't have a BCR but I'm guessing that the Sysex not received by my BCF was intended for the BCR so the above should work for that too, if you have them midi'd together one send/receive should work.......
Last edited by jackobyte on Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

DeadlyKungFu

Post by DeadlyKungFu » Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:11 am

Killer tip jacko!!! Can't wait to try that, I've only had partial automapping and the 'ERR22' message.

fragmentated

Post by fragmentated » Fri Oct 06, 2006 1:04 am

i always got the error mssg using u-1. i did get it to work using the u-4 (usb) or s-4 (midi) setting on my bcf both via usb or midi. of one mode doesn't work try some of the other ones - they just may.

mercyplease

Post by mercyplease » Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:13 pm

jackobytes rout works but you dont get anything extra its the same as dumping the file that Ableton already provides. Maybe I was doing something wrong but I get the exact same functionality.
HA HA HA :twisted:

lummux

Post by lummux » Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:58 pm

Yeah, I think that the Automap in Live for the BCR2000 isn't very good.

Try this page, might help

http://createdigitalmusic.com/2006/09/1 ... #more-1627

stale bread

Post by stale bread » Sat Oct 21, 2006 12:10 am

bpm
Mac, Mpc, and a Microphone

Thanks for the Slicer Abe.

nfms

Re: Automap WORKING for BCF2000!!!!

Post by nfms » Sun Nov 05, 2006 6:31 pm

jackobyte wrote:
Hi again,

Thank you for your help Smile
Here's the solution........... Set your BCF to bC mode, USB Mode 1 by holding down Edit and pressing Store then turn knob 1 all left until you see u-1, hit Exit, the screen should now display P- 1. Download MIDIOX http://www.midiox.com/zip/midioxse.exe and install it. Click Options - MIDI Devices... Select BCF2000(01) in both input and output (they will highlight blue)..... click View - Sysex..... In the new window click Command Window - Load File... browse to <LIVE 6.0.1 folder>\Resources\MIDI Remote Scripts\BCF2000 and load the preset.syx file. Click Command Window - Send/Recieve Sysex. Wait until it has completed. Open up Live 6 and set your control surface to BCF2000 and it's done!!!!!! Yeha!!!!!! The bestest cheapest controller on the market now has automap!!!

Enjoy!! 8) :P

I don't have a BCR but I'm guessing that the Sysex not received by my BCF was intended for the BCR so the above should work for that too, if you have them midi'd together one send/receive should work.......

THANKS!!!

this works!

<3 omfg toooo nice :D
www.optech-dnb.com
www.myspace.com/optechdnb
Dark Audio Visual Drum and Bass
Ableton Live 6 // Resolume 2.4 // Behringer BCF2000 // Zero remote SL // Edirol UA-25 // UC-33 // Access Virus B // Macbook core2duo // 2x SL 1210 // SMX 401

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Sun Nov 05, 2006 7:37 pm

I made a little custom map for the BCR2000 and Live 6.
It’s a trimmed down version of the automapping protocol for the BCR2000 which currently works with “factory preset 1" of the controller. It adds more room for MIDI learn parameters.

• The volume sliders of the first 8 tracks in Live, can be controlled with the 3rd encoder group.
• The 8 “macro” knobs can be controlled with the 4th encoder group.
• The transport functions are assigned to the 4 buttons on the right side.

The rest of the parameters on the BCR can be assigned to whatever you wish to assign them to. You can use MIDI learn for that.

More info on http://www.thecovertoperators.org/archives/122
Last edited by hoffman2k on Sun Nov 05, 2006 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Freekster

Post by Freekster » Sun Nov 05, 2006 9:12 pm

How do i reset the BCR2000?
My Preset 1 dont respond to edit + store command. Both buttons just send midi data. I tried to send the sysex file via live and with SySex librarian but i dont even get the error messages or anything.