TORQ IS OUT!

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
drewbixcube

Post by drewbixcube » Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:05 am

hmmm...

maybe opening Live and Torq as seperate applications and running Torq's audio back into Live would be a work around to not being able to use timecode in rewire mode. Sure, they wouldn't be perfectly synced, but I'm sure top quality DJs could get/keep them damn close! :wink:

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Tue Oct 10, 2006 2:33 am

is that even possible, given that both support rewire?

there is that options.txt thing in live which can disable rewire master (?)

drewbixcube

Post by drewbixcube » Tue Oct 10, 2006 4:30 am

Just open Torq first and Ableton second. Torq was designed to be a rewire slave, but can't be a rewire master, so Live will open as normal. Although, if Torq could be a master then using the timecode control in rewire would be possible.

Patch

Post by Patch » Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:37 am

Tone Deft wrote: I just want a spinning controller a little larger than the label on vinyl that's a controller to get jiggy with waveforms in Live, lugging around turntables is a beeeyotch!! And I'm sick of replacing crossfaders.
Sounds like you need a DM2, Son!!! Get the DM2, get DM2Midi, get MidiYoke/Ox - and you are laughin'!!! Then you spray paint your DM2 to match your Vestax 07 ProD (Samurai! Silver and Cherry Red... Mmmm...) and Roberts yer Muvvers Bruvver!

Oh wait - that was me...

What you will ACTUALLY want to do is get your DM2, get 2 old 7" records, and perform the following Mod:

1) Cut a hole in the 7"s that is the same dia. as the very top of the scratch rings on the DM2.

2) Get yourself some SuperGlue.

3) Glue the record to the top of the scratch ring.

Now you have 2:
spinning controller[s] a little larger than the label on vinyl that's a controller to get jiggy with waveforms in Live
AND you get all those flashing buttons on the DM2, too. AND a crossfader. AND 4 banks. AND a Joystick.

Goddamn - I love my DM2. It cost me $30 (incl. shipping from US to UK!)

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Tue Oct 10, 2006 3:58 pm

Not a bad program - still missing some cables to give a full review (i.e. long enough 1/4 inch cables and a couple new RCA's - plus a 6 to 8 foot USB cable

right now I can use the timecoded vinyl and mix in my headphones

I was getting some audio drop outs and my digital music sounded funny at some extreme pitch shifts

the relative and abolute is kind of frustrating - the program switches to relative when it nears the end of your track - you have to manually set it back to absolute

when I finally get my cables today I'll let you know after I come back from class and get some homework done and more organizing my new place and blah blah blah

my life is like in 48 million different places :roll: right now

peace

a
Last edited by djadonis206 on Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ableton | Elektron

Music

mike holiday

Post by mike holiday » Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:02 pm

you're being a tease adonis!
dual 1.8 G4 10.4.9 w/768 ram & A&H xone 3D

"I ain't often right but I've never been wrong"

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Wed Oct 11, 2006 3:36 am

got it running

hate to say it but TORQ sounds better than my vinyl -

word - it's cool

peace

a
Ableton | Elektron

Music

STRATEGY_510

Post by STRATEGY_510 » Wed Oct 11, 2006 4:56 am

Patch wrote:
Tone Deft wrote: I just want a spinning controller a little larger than the label on vinyl that's a controller to get jiggy with waveforms in Live, lugging around turntables is a beeeyotch!! And I'm sick of replacing crossfaders.
Sounds like you need a DM2, Son!!! Get the DM2, get DM2Midi, get MidiYoke/Ox - and you are laughin'!!! Then you spray paint your DM2 to match your Vestax 07 ProD (Samurai! Silver and Cherry Red... Mmmm...) and Roberts yer Muvvers Bruvver!

Oh wait - that was me...

What you will ACTUALLY want to do is get your DM2, get 2 old 7" records, and perform the following Mod:

1) Cut a hole in the 7"s that is the same dia. as the very top of the scratch rings on the DM2.

2) Get yourself some SuperGlue.

3) Glue the record to the top of the scratch ring.

Now you have 2:
spinning controller[s] a little larger than the label on vinyl that's a controller to get jiggy with waveforms in Live
AND you get all those flashing buttons on the DM2, too. AND a crossfader. AND 4 banks. AND a Joystick.

Goddamn - I love my DM2. It cost me $30 (incl. shipping from US to UK!)

I don't understand, but I'm intrigued.

Tell me more about this thing I don't know what the fuck you just said about..

STRATEGY

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Wed Oct 11, 2006 5:16 am

Don't hate on the controller just yet either - it's really nice for "djing" with Live

peace

a
Ableton | Elektron

Music

FrancodeLeon88

Post by FrancodeLeon88 » Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:10 am

Peace Fam...

So, let me just clarify...is it true that you can NOT use vinyl control when Torq is in Rewire Slave Mode to Ableton?

That is enough to make me stop thinking about purchasing this product with my current set up. Now, if I had a second laptop....

Second, just in case I misunderstood something, for Torq's Sampler, what is the sample length limit for incoming recordings (such as a microphone source)?

And third, like Serato or FS, can you then assign that newly created sample to both vinyl controlled decks simultaneously?

Any information from people who have the product already is greatly appreciated.

Regards,

DJ Franco de Leon
FrancodeLeon88@aol.com
FrancodeLeon.com
www.myspace.com/FRANCODELEON88
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nF1u-5cFTq8

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:15 am

FrancodeLeon88 wrote:Peace Fam...

So, let me just clarify...is it true that you can NOT use vinyl control when Torq is in Rewire Slave Mode to Ableton?

That is enough to make me stop thinking about purchasing this product with my current set up. Now, if I had a second laptop....

Second, just in case I misunderstood something, for Torq's Sampler, what is the sample length limit for incoming recordings (such as a microphone source)?

And third, like Serato or FS, can you then assign that newly created sample to both vinyl controlled decks simultaneously?

Any information from people who have the product already is greatly appreciated.

Regards,

DJ Franco de Leon
FrancodeLeon88@aol.com
FrancodeLeon.com
www.myspace.com/FRANCODELEON88
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nF1u-5cFTq8
curious about this too.

c'mon adonis, get on it man!
Professional Shark Jumper.

BinaryB

Post by BinaryB » Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:37 am

If Torq dont werk fer scratching with control vinyl in vst mode...
That is a shame.

I love Serato.
Live8 & Serato
Download NYE'08 DJset

ytsek

Post by ytsek » Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:49 am

What can you still do with Torq when in rewire slave mode?

Patch

Post by Patch » Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:30 am

STRATEGY_510 wrote:Tell me more about this thing I don't know what the fuck you just said about...
Heh-heh...

Get one of these:
Mixman DM2
They regularly go for <$10 on ebay.

Then download pdooms free DM2Midi software.
The DM2Midi software turns the DM2 into a Midi controller.

You'll also need the free MidiYoke midi software. MidiYoke is a routing software for virtual midi.

You can find the mod I described (7" record mod) here

The DM2midi software is hella powerful. You can assign macros to buttons, have one button on the DM2 perform multiple operations at the same time, scroll through operations (ie - every time you press a button it does a different thing). If it's 7" size rotaries you're after - this is the bargain controller for you...

BinaryB

Post by BinaryB » Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:00 am

Has anyone tried it with Torq ?

does it work with ctrl vinyl in vst mode ?
Live8 & Serato
Download NYE'08 DJset