TORQ IS OUT!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
FrancodeLeon88

Post by FrancodeLeon88 » Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:50 pm

Well, that's a shame that rewire AND vinyl control of Torq can not happen simultaneously...although, I've tried to wrap my head around it, and I'm not even sure how that would work unless Torq could act as the Rewire Master - which isn't an option right now.

Moving on, has anyone used both Torq and Live, UNrewired, simultaneously? What kind of performance from your machine did you get? Did it work like a charm?

Thanks for all the info guys...

Peazy,

DJ Franco de Leon
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixq0wr0HW38 (footage of me playing in Ann Arbor, for the preliminary battles)

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:29 am

So can you open torq while ableton is open without being forced to rewire it? or do you have to close live first every time you want to use torq unrewired?
Professional Shark Jumper.

drewbixcube

Post by drewbixcube » Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:28 am

That's what I was getting at, glitchrock. Torq has to be opened first. I've given it a go myself with much success. I've come across a minor bug: Using 5.2.2 (still) opening Torq first and Live second, when I close Live first it crashes. Everything gets saved first though :?: don't know what it is.

The one advantage I have in doing this though is that I own a 3D. I run the Conectiv into the 3D line ins then I send those back into Live on two separate channels while using the external BPM sync functionality of the 3D. Then back out of Live into two separate soundcard channels on the 3D for mixing. Easy, no?

I'll have a look at the CPU usage a little later on and post the results

drewbixcube

Post by drewbixcube » Fri Oct 13, 2006 3:11 am

Does anyone have or has anyone tried Ms. Pinky. I haven't heard of it before but after looking into it, it got me thinking... You know, that "stare of into space" kind of thinking. I gotta get MAX/MSP and figure that thing out!!!

ytsek

Post by ytsek » Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:55 am

ytsek wrote:When Torq is in rewire slave mode are all remote midi mappings available thrue rewire in the rewire host?
Can anyone comment?

olafmol

Post by olafmol » Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:48 am

Macriada wrote:KU, that was precisely the issue I was about to raise.

After looking into the TORQ thing for a while I decided to check out the IWS system as this is what M-Audio / Syncroscience have based their vinyl control system around. I can't believe I hadn't got onto it previously, Ms. Pinky's got it going on!

The way I see it there are a couple of ways to go with this.

1. Join Ms. Pinky's fanclub which includes 4 records, Maxi-Patch, Binky Toy and most importantly Pinky Pluggo. Plus get Connectiv without control vinyl.. This solves the problem of needing pre-amps for the IWS system plus the Ms. Pinky records work as control vinyl for the TORQ system.

2. Perhaps a simpler solution, get Connectiv w/ control vinyl & purchase Pinky Pluggo seperately. Anyone know if it's available on it's own or do you need to join the fanclub?
i think the power of the connectiv system is mainly it's 4in/4out USB soundcard with 2 build-in phono preamps.. currently there is no alternative on the market except the ESI U46DJ which has a lot of problems reported

Olaf

olafmol

Post by olafmol » Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:50 am

FrancodeLeon88 wrote:Well, that's a shame that rewire AND vinyl control of Torq can not happen simultaneously...although, I've tried to wrap my head around it, and I'm not even sure how that would work unless Torq could act as the Rewire Master - which isn't an option right now.

Moving on, has anyone used both Torq and Live, UNrewired, simultaneously? What kind of performance from your machine did you get? Did it work like a charm?

Thanks for all the info guys...

Peazy,

DJ Franco de Leon
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixq0wr0HW38 (footage of me playing in Ann Arbor, for the preliminary battles)
does the rewire protocol FORCE developers to always sync tempo? Only audio streams would also be possible i would think?

Olaf

John Sweet

Post by John Sweet » Fri Oct 13, 2006 4:15 pm

Do you have to use control vinyl/CDs, or can you use MIDI controllers & get a CDJ-type experience?

It would be cool to have something to rewire into Live that allows for scrubbing & scratching & spindowns & backcueing & all that good stuff.

Can you map controls to jogwheels instead of vinyl?

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Fri Oct 13, 2006 4:39 pm

John Sweet wrote:Do you have to use control vinyl/CDs, or can you use MIDI controllers & get a CDJ-type experience?

It would be cool to have something to rewire into Live that allows for scrubbing & scratching & spindowns & backcueing & all that good stuff.

Can you map controls to jogwheels instead of vinyl?
You can assign midi controllers to the pitch adjusters in Torq and dj inside the computer, easy

i did that for the first few days I had TORQ

It's not as accurate as say, using technics but you can do it -

A neat little thing in there lets you sync one deck to the other (BPM's at least)

give it a go
Ableton | Elektron

Music

drewbixcube

Post by drewbixcube » Fri Oct 13, 2006 5:05 pm

ytsek wrote:
ytsek wrote:When Torq is in rewire slave mode are all remote midi mappings available thrue rewire in the rewire host?
Can anyone comment?
Yes. All you have to do is send the MIDI data from the host to Torq. Using Live, create a MIDI track, set its monitor to in, and the MIDI output to Torq. You might run into some issues though, if you have the same controls mapped to both Torq and Live.

steve-o

Connective, Ms. pinky, X-Session Pro, and rewire

Post by steve-o » Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:55 pm

Hello all,

I just got my connectiv torq package and am waiting for Ms. Pinky - i split the vinyl with a friend so I ended up paying $269 for the connective plus Ms Pinky system - it seems like a good deal for getting two software packages, and if your interestd in vinyl control, I'd go for it. I got an X-session Pro in the meantime

TORQ / X-Session Pro

The software is very straight forward to use, and maps to TORQ almost automatically, and I'm won't do an indepth review unless someone wants me too. I come from a vinyl dj background and was able to nail mixing in torq no problem. I don't use autobeatchmatching, just the pitch slider and nudge buttons, and TORQ responds very well in his area, at least as if not more responsive than 1200 pitch control, although I do find it more dificult to make very subtle adjustments. Also, the digital files drift more than vinyl, at least when I beat match, so my finger is always tapping on the nudge buttons. Since they are so close to the start/stop buttons, my fingers inadvertantly tap these - not cool. But all in all the x-session pro is pretty good at the price I got it for 85$. Bottom line: vinyl has more stabilty but more latency than TORQ, TORQ has faster responsivenes but less ability to fine tune and more drift. In fact, i found nearly all the controls on the XSPro to create large changes with small movements.

If you are coming from a vinyl - dj background AND an Ableton production background, using TORQ is already second nature. The effects, in my opinion, are not that great, but since there is way more midi latency than using an analog mixer, I find my self using the strobe, repeat, and reverse effects to try and emulate tricks that I do in a traditional dj setup. However, this kind of takes the whole "show" part out of it.

I'm already playing around with TORQ as an on the fly sampling / remixing tool using the 16 part sampler.

Connectiv

I ended up going with Connectiv/Torq because the developer of Ms. Pinky recommended it on the Pinky Forum, its really light and simple, and has DJ oriented controls and outputs like cue and split cue. Personally I think it sounds pretty good for what it is, but the "lowest" audio interace I've ever used is the 828 (and I still use from time to time).

Ms. Pinky and rewire

I've decided to try and take Adonis up on his challenge and come up with a solution to the rewire / vinyl control problem, so i'm going to try and modify the Pinky pluggo VST to send tempo information back to the ableton sequencer, and if that doesn't work, create a stand alone app whose only purpose is to convert the time code to rewire and control ableton. Basically, you use the VST within ableton, set the tempo with the turntable and then hit a button on the interface to send that tempo to Live. These are all just ideas, as I ust got the Pinky software today!!!! Apparantly it can be done, and with the Pinky system you get the SDK and the ability to modify the programs. The only problem is that there could be no reversing of the tempo through rewire (thats what the developer told me) .

Conclusion

I read a post by robtronik on some forum, don't know if its this one, about djing with ableton, and I have to agree that ableton is the way to go. I'm still trying to figure out how to warp tracks in a few seconds, but since autobeatmatching is not reliable, and digital tracks still drift (in my case its seems like they drift more than vinyl), you can do SO much more with abelton.

Peace

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:18 pm

Wurd Burd!

I found djing with Torq really really really easy

I was pretty amazed at the sound quality and being aboe to mix my music with other music for the first time with my decks was a treat

awesome!

People are trying really hard to find something wrong with the program (I AM AT LEAST)

and the rewire thing is obviously weak but we can find a work around - we will

but all in all the programs sick
Ableton | Elektron

Music

FrancodeLeon88

Post by FrancodeLeon88 » Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:12 pm

You guys rock...what computers do you gents have?...have you guys encountered drop outs or any other general audio strangeness when both applications are on? I'm mostly interested in what kind of performance you are getting (and on what machines) when using both vinyl control and pretty intense ableton stuff simultaneously....

Thanks again for all of your input!

steve-o

Post by steve-o » Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:16 pm

Personally, I'm experiencing no dropouts. Like Adonis said, Torq sounds pretty good. I'm on a MBP 2.0, 1gbRam - a stock config.

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:24 pm

AMD 3200+ 1.5gigs of Ram Windows XP sp 2

No drop outs - I thought I was getting weird sounds from overly pitched tracks but it was just my ears hearing music being played at unusually fast or slow speeds
Ableton | Elektron

Music