TORQ IS OUT!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
BinaryB

Post by BinaryB » Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:33 am

smutek wrote:
Patch wrote:IS Serato not being discussed here purely because of the cost?
I am pretty sure that with Serato, in-order to properly calibrate it, I would need to spring for new decks as well....

I remember seeing somehwhere on the SSL site, throuble shooting or set-up, that these adjustments were needed as part of a proper claibration.... ...form what I have read there is no claibration involved with Torq, plug and play.

ARE YOU SURE ABOUT THESE CONCLUSIONS ?

I own Serato and I think you are not correct.

Serato works PERFECTLY in any sh!tty situation.
Live8 & Serato
Download NYE'08 DJset

smutek

Post by smutek » Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:42 am

Thanks Binary for the heads up. I will look into it.

Like I said in my other post, "I am pretty sure" - I distincly remember seeing that somewhere on the site - or maybe the forums, but on a quick search I can't find any mention of it. If I do I will post back with a link.

See, I have been interested in serato for a long while, but have always held off because I have been under the impression that I would need to get new decks.

smutek

Post by smutek » Thu Oct 12, 2006 2:03 am

Well, now I am interested in Serato again. Torq is still my first chice though, mainly because of it's price point vs. Serato. I've seen Torq going from between 200 to 250 US. I don't know, if Serato is offered at a more competitive price (compared to Torq) in the next couple of months I may reconsider.

genshi

Post by genshi » Thu Oct 12, 2006 3:55 am

smutek wrote:Well, now I am interested in Serato again. Torq is still my first chice though, mainly because of it's price point vs. Serato. I've seen Torq going from between 200 to 250 US. I don't know, if Serato is offered at a more competitive price (compared to Torq) in the next couple of months I may reconsider.
But these are two very different things. Serato was built to do one thing extremely well, to give you accurate vinyl control of your MP3s. Period.

Torq is meant to give you very good vinyl control of all of your audio files along with the option of auto beatmatching, 3 built-in effects per deck plus one vst per deck, plus 16 samples triggered all in sync while recording and/or rewiring into a host application... for less than Serato!

So not really that hard of a decision unless you are the fastest scratcher/juggler in the world and just have to have the absolute most accurate vinyl response without all of the extra stuff (like effects, rewire, samples) but then in that case, you would be using real vinyl instead of Torq or Serato, yes?

I don't know, just wondering... I personally am not a DJ and I don't "scratch", but I've been working with Torq for a couple of months and as an extra production tool it has some really fun creative possibilities. But if I was some sort of battle DJ, I'd probably go Serato from what i hear.

smutek

Post by smutek » Thu Oct 12, 2006 5:45 am

Those are good points genshi. I think the only reason SSL would still be an option for me is because it's been around and has been proven to be pretty stable. But, if I were buying tomorrow Torq would be my choice. For the price of SSL I can pick up Torq, some new needles for my turntables and upgrade to live 6. Not to mention a much larger feature set with Torq.

You are right, there really doesn;t seem to be much of a decision to make...

But since I am not buying tomorrow, more like sometime in the next month or so, I have time to read reviews, research, and watch before I do make a decision.

ytsek

Post by ytsek » Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:59 am

When Torq is in rewire slave mode are all remote midi mappings available thrue rewire in the rewire host?

Patch

Post by Patch » Thu Oct 12, 2006 2:06 pm

I don't really like the Torg interface. The screen shots I've seen look kinda crap. I don't like the way only the top/bottom half of each waveform is present...

Check out the Serato interface - the whole waveform is shown, and they move VERTICALLY. Seems to make a lot more sense if you are scratching. And the waveform is coloured differently for different sounds, ie - Kicks are White, Snares are Red, Hats are Yellow. That is fuckin' wicked for turntablism...

But that shit don't come cheap...

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Thu Oct 12, 2006 3:19 pm

A few more minutes on the virtual decks - it's a pretty transparent program from digital to vinyl

My digital files are like 2 to 4 times louder than my vinyl - can't figure that out

but...I'm using a desktop so spinning around every 3 minutes to change the track is proving to be odd

a few key commands to trigger some effects and you're all good

It's cool - I wouldn't knock it before you try it

I think there was a thread about something having a higher price tag and that puts the impression it's a better value

but this TORQ thing is nice and I don't feel so bad about dropping the $300 - really

peace

a
Ableton | Elektron

Music

robin

Post by robin » Thu Oct 12, 2006 3:20 pm

Adonis, you are plugged into the line ins on the mixer now, not the phono ins?

BinaryB

Post by BinaryB » Thu Oct 12, 2006 4:01 pm

smutek wrote:Those are good points genshi. I think the only reason SSL would still be an option for me is because it's been around and has been proven to be pretty stable. But, if I were buying tomorrow Torq would be my choice. For the price of SSL I can pick up Torq, some new needles for my turntables and upgrade to live 6. Not to mention a much larger feature set with Torq.
This sounds like the right idea,
then just choose your weapon.

:wink:
Live8 & Serato
Download NYE'08 DJset

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Thu Oct 12, 2006 4:03 pm

robin wrote:Adonis, you are plugged into the line ins on the mixer now, not the phono ins?
My Rane has little buttons (Line / Phone) on the back and I think you're onto something - doh!

ad
Ableton | Elektron

Music

robin

Post by robin » Thu Oct 12, 2006 4:11 pm

djadonis206 wrote:
robin wrote:Adonis, you are plugged into the line ins on the mixer now, not the phono ins?
My Rane has little buttons (Line / Phone) on the back and I think you're onto something - doh!

ad
:) easy mistake to make

KU

Post by KU » Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:46 pm

So TORQ uses the ms.pinky vinyl records it seems, which are different from timecode vinyl.

does that mean that one could use the Pinky Pluggo VST with the included connectiv/code records? That seems to be a solution for plugin enabled scratching

Macriada

Post by Macriada » Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:39 pm

KU, that was precisely the issue I was about to raise.

After looking into the TORQ thing for a while I decided to check out the IWS system as this is what M-Audio / Syncroscience have based their vinyl control system around. I can't believe I hadn't got onto it previously, Ms. Pinky's got it going on!

The way I see it there are a couple of ways to go with this.

1. Join Ms. Pinky's fanclub which includes 4 records, Maxi-Patch, Binky Toy and most importantly Pinky Pluggo. Plus get Connectiv without control vinyl.. This solves the problem of needing pre-amps for the IWS system plus the Ms. Pinky records work as control vinyl for the TORQ system.

2. Perhaps a simpler solution, get Connectiv w/ control vinyl & purchase Pinky Pluggo seperately. Anyone know if it's available on it's own or do you need to join the fanclub?
Last edited by Macriada on Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

drewbixcube

Post by drewbixcube » Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:30 pm

nevermind :oops:
Last edited by drewbixcube on Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:18 am, edited 1 time in total.