Ableton! Tighten the Sequencer!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.

Tighten up the Sequencer?

YES - needs tune up
52%
NO - nothing wrong
48%

Total votes: 77

tumbleDry

Ableton! Tighten the Sequencer!

Post by tumbleDry » Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:16 pm

Ableton 1st priority need to fix the timing of Live sequencer.

Noticable at slower tempo. try EnergyXT & FruityLoops. hear for yourself.

EDIT: Note! this topic should have been about the "groove & feel" of the sequencer!!! sorry my bad misnomer!

if you want the groove back.. please consider adding your name to "groove Q" in the requests forum.
Last edited by tumbleDry on Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

leisuremuffin

Post by leisuremuffin » Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:31 pm

geez, i just don't hear it....

when is this happening to you? maybe when synced to another computer or sequencer? I've noticed midi sync can be pretty flakey on live (although i haven't tried with live 6 yet).

but i gotta tell you, with no sync involved everything works fine here.

.lm.
TimeableFloat ???S?e?n?d?I?n?f?o

tumbleDry

Post by tumbleDry » Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:46 pm

hi lm!

not synced! i have noticed this before and always had better rigidness with fruityloops, energyxt and hardware roland mc303.

the slackness stands out at slow tempo (proximate below 100bpm)

Taiis

Post by Taiis » Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:49 pm

There is can sometimes be a little micro-jump when arrangement looping is on. It's quite clearly audible when you play two samples in arrangement view with a very short (4 bar) arrangement view loop, as opposed to listening to the clips themselves looping in the matrix.

/T
+++ ---- +++ ----- +++ ----- +++ ----- +++
33 Koncerts, no demo, no album
http://www.thespoofkats.com

frankie123

Post by frankie123 » Fri Oct 06, 2006 1:19 pm

I agree about lives midi sequencing being a little iffy. I synced up two keyboards to live a couple days ago, and they don't always lock like I'd like them to.
dual g5 2.3 ghz 2500 megs of ram

frisbeedisk

Post by frisbeedisk » Fri Oct 06, 2006 1:23 pm

frankie123 wrote:I agree about lives midi sequencing being a little iffy. I synced up two keyboards to live a couple days ago, and they don't always lock like I'd like them to.
you should try getting a machinedrum to sync..can be a knightmare!!!

FaX-01

Post by FaX-01 » Fri Oct 06, 2006 2:23 pm

tumbleDry wrote:hi lm!

not synced! i have noticed this before and always had better rigidness with fruityloops, energyxt and hardware roland mc303.

Funny I do loads of downtempo material 75-110 bpm's and find Live sounds far less robotic and way more organic and capable of holding a groove at those sorts of tempo's than any other sequencer I've used.
It's one of the reasons I like using it for sequencing myself.
Then again I don't like exceptionally rigid rythms myself and try to employ alot of timing drift and other tricks that work to my advantage compositionally.
My aren't the wings of butterflies beautiful and do they not make wonderful perturbations.....

udp

Post by udp » Fri Oct 06, 2006 2:28 pm

FaX-01 wrote:
tumbleDry wrote:hi lm!

Funny I do loads of downtempo material 75-110 bpm's and find Live sounds far less robotic and way more organic and capable of holding a groove at those sorts of tempo's than any other sequencer I've used.
It's one of the reasons I like using it for sequencing myself.
Then again I don't like exceptionally rigid rythms myself and try to employ alot of timing drift and other tricks that work to my advantage compositionally.
I also work a lot at slower tempi and find Live is exquisite in the way it handles sync. What's the rest of your set up like? I only use the oxygen 8 for midi input and the FW410 only for audio.
OS X.5 MacBook Core 2Duo 2.2ghz, 2Gig RAM Mackie Onyx 400F m-audio BX8's, Oxygen 8, Zoom H-4, Alesis Masterlink, Bitstream 3x
http://www.udpmusic.com

BinaryB

Post by BinaryB » Fri Oct 06, 2006 2:31 pm

Is LIVE5 better / tighter than LIVE6 ?
Live8 & Serato
Download NYE'08 DJset

mercyplease

Re: Ableton! Tighten the Sequencer!

Post by mercyplease » Fri Oct 06, 2006 2:34 pm

tumbleDry wrote:Ableton 1st priority need to fix the timing of Live sequencer.

Noticable at slower tempo. try EnergyXT & FruityLoops. hear for yourself.
Tighten what? the midi-sync what?
HA HA HA :twisted:

mercyplease

Post by mercyplease » Fri Oct 06, 2006 2:39 pm

frankie123 wrote:I agree about lives midi sequencing being a little iffy. I synced up two keyboards to live a couple days ago, and they don't always lock like I'd like them to.
Did these keyboards have sequencers of their own or are you talking about just sending midi notes to external synths for playback from ableton lives sequencer.
You cant just say I synced two keyboards its doesnt make sense, lack of info.

mcconaghy

Post by mcconaghy » Fri Oct 06, 2006 2:42 pm

Live's sequencer is not only tight, it has a groove of its own. Kind of organic, especially in slower tempi (60 - 110 bpm)

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Fri Oct 06, 2006 2:47 pm

frisbeedisk wrote:you should try getting a machinedrum to sync..can be a knightmare!!!
I'll let you know if the TM-1 fixes this.

frankie123

Post by frankie123 » Fri Oct 06, 2006 3:09 pm

mercyplease wrote:
Did these keyboards have sequencers of their own or are you talking about just sending midi notes to external synths for playback from ableton lives sequencer.
I slaved these keyboards to ableton.
dual g5 2.3 ghz 2500 megs of ram

mercyplease

Post by mercyplease » Fri Oct 06, 2006 3:30 pm

frankie123 wrote:
mercyplease wrote:
I slaved these keyboards to ableton.

To slave an external thing means you would be sending a midi clock from ableton to those two keyboards. A keyboard is something that plays sounds. or does your keyboards have internal sequencers??>?????????>?>????? If not you are talking about loose midi timing and thats a whole different ball game and could be a number of factors. If you use one of those midi ports built in to a sound card you can easily get timing eccentrics.