Live Retail vs. Live Pirated (The Difference)

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
psilopsyche

Live Retail vs. Live Pirated (The Difference)

Post by psilopsyche » Sat Oct 07, 2006 10:58 pm

Here's something that's really fucking cute:

I bought Ableton Live 6 boxed retail on the Friday it was released, one week ago, and I received it yesterday even through I payed $20+ for next day air. My box didn't come with a serial number, and I have to wait until Monday to use it out of demo mode because Ableton didn't email me my serial number. I bought Sampler & Operator yesterday, and received an email from ableton this morning stating that they'll process my order once they get my serial number!

Here's the fucking punchline:

My friend downloaded Ableton Live 6.0.1 hacked in under 1 hour, and he has a full version Live 6 + Operator + Sampler + EIC, oh, and it works.

Total cost to me: $300 (Ableton) + $79 + $99 (Operator & Sampler) + $25 (shipping) = ~ $503 + 1 WEEK & COUNTING

Total cost to my friend = $0 (Ableton) + $0 + $0 (Operator & Sampler) + $0 (1 hour shipping) = $0 + ONE HOUR

That's fan-fucking-tastic. :P
Last edited by psilopsyche on Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Apple Macbook 1.83 + 2GB RAM | Live 7 Demo

john gordon

Post by john gordon » Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:02 pm

yeah,but you have better morals. :wink:

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:02 pm

do a search on ableton copy protection violation and you'll see that every crack ever created for ableton eventually becomes self aware that it's a cracked copy and won't work anymore. whats worse is if you get a new cracked version it'll work fine as long as you don't open any of your old songs because those als files are also "infected" with the copy protection violation.

your friend will experience this as well no doubt.

other than that there is no difference between them. but the cracks don't last forever.

ps. it has nothing to do with internet connections either. I had friends using cracks on computers that had never been on the net and somehow live figured out "I've been cracked" and stopped working.
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

psilopsyche

Post by psilopsyche » Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:04 pm

I was just going to say... his computer isn't even connected to the internet... oh well. MAKE THE BASTARD PAY FOR HIS SHIT!! :(

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:19 pm

I can get a plasma screen TV, right now, for nothing.

I can see from here that my neighbors are out.

8O

In fact, they have quite a nice car too.

8O 8O

do you really need the difference explaining?

Spikee

Re: Live Retail vs. Live Pirated (The Difference)

Post by Spikee » Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:29 pm

psilopsyche wrote:Here's something that's really fucking cute:

I bought Ableton Live 6 boxed retail on the Friday it was released, one week ago, and I received it yesterday even through I payed $20+ for next day air. My box didn't come with a serial number, and I have to wait until Monday to use it out of demo mode because Ableton didn't email me my serial number. I bought Sampler & Operator yesterday, and received an email from ableton this morning stating that they'll process my order once they get my serial number!

Here's the fucking punchline:

My friend downloaded Ableton Live 6.0.1 hacked in under 1 hour, and he has a full version Live 6 + Operator + Sampler + EIC, oh, and it works.

Total cost to me: $300 (Ableton) + $79 + $99 (Operator & Sampler) + $25 (shipping) = ~ $503 + 1 WEEK & COUNTING

Total cost to my friend = $0 (Ableton) + $0 + $0 (Operator & Sampler) + $0 (1 hour shipping) = $0 + ONE HOUR

That's fan-fucking-tastic. :P
It's obvious after popping into the forums every day since well before 6 came out that you're an isolated case. And yes, it sucks that it happened to you but that's the luck of the draw isn't it? Just think, with every major purchase you make, someone out there's made the same purchase but whereas you're having a great time, they're in misery because of some fluke situation. I'm sorry your number got picked.

Just try not to let it bug you out too much though, this is an AWESOME piece of software (as you know since you have the demo) and they deserve a little consideration for that. In a year you're going to have reaped the benefits of their labor in a major way, so you have all of that to look forward to still.

xzusa8ky

Post by xzusa8ky » Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:37 pm

BUY it :-)

and be patience....it's word it...oh yes

and yes your friend sucks!

regards
Bitwig/1.0.5 - Ableton/Live 8 - Apple/MacPro-2.8Ghz-8Core-RAID - Samsung/SM-P2770H 27" - Yamaha/HS80M/HS10W - Behringer/BCR/BCF - Allen & Heath/Xone:3D - Sennheiser/HD25-13 - Native Instruments/Komplete9/Traktor Pro

muscleandhate

Post by muscleandhate » Sun Oct 08, 2006 12:07 am

I'd say pirated software is good thing to an extent. I started with all pirated software, do you think I'd really wake up one day and think today I want to spend 350.00GBP on a program I've no idea how to use to make some tunes? Well the answers no, obviously. I'd say most people who start off using cracked stuff, the ones who get serious, always move over to offical copies for the obvious benefits. Most of my friends all started with a cracked copy of ableton and then they all went out and bought it when it died lol.

psilopsyche

Post by psilopsyche » Sun Oct 08, 2006 12:16 am

I guess that now would be a good time to chime in and reply that yes indeed I agree with you all. I'm actually not really bitter about the serial number & pirating friend situation. I just spun it that way because I thought it was ironic / funny that I did it legitimately and have to wait, box in hand, while my friend gets everything I paid for, but for free and instantaneously.

I'm happy with my purchase!

My friend and I worked on my boxed DEMO version (WTF LOL) and made a really sick song already, so I'm keeping this running until I get my serial number hopefully Monday. :lol:

I hope you're all amused by my predicament because I certainly am!

PS - You're all really nice and I thank you for that.

Willyum

Post by Willyum » Sun Oct 08, 2006 12:26 am

Hold on now, let's backtrack for a moment..... he got the entire EIC???
"I spent my life, laughing, wondering if crazy people even realized that they're crazy.......then one day, I realized..." - Flippa

Twil

I remember

Post by Twil » Sun Oct 08, 2006 12:28 am

My first full copy of Live was a cracked version, but I just thought I made a deal with someone who was giving me a good deal on . . . you know the seller place online, where the first letter comes after D [wink]. Anyway, my first copy of Live was a sample version I got with my sound card, do I was happy but wanted to experience the features completely, without having to pay money that I didn't have at the time. Sure, it costs me a little more. But guess what -- ended up costing me even more after, since I had to eventually get the real thing and lost all the money I already did on the cracked copy that I got anyway. What I had to do was just get patient before being able to save to get the real thing. Hey, any extra money that you can save over from something like returns may come in handy for you, like it did for me. Good luck.
"The SCARF - ACE Is In Your Face"

And I just love making time for meeting new people, chatting, reading, writing, working, playing, and most of all . . . music.

djsynchro

Post by djsynchro » Sun Oct 08, 2006 12:42 am

Angstrom wrote:I can get a plasma screen TV, right now, for nothing.

Here's the difference: If you steal your neighbours car, he doesn't have a car anymore. If you (for example) copy my music (not that you'd want to haha), I still have my music. You didn't steal it, you copied it. It's a big difference.

There may be a law against you doing so but hey... in the privacy of your own home you can do what you want... Now here's the cool thing: People buy the software anyway, because they love it and they think it's reasonable that Ableton should get some money for their work.

:D

udp

Post by udp » Sun Oct 08, 2006 12:47 am

philopsyche, with the boxed version you should have been able to download Live 6 right away and start using it. There would have been a serial number in the e-mail thanking you for your purchase that you would use for the download and the boxed version when it came. Look for that e-mail because it also will have your Sampler and Operator serials.
OS X.5 MacBook Core 2Duo 2.2ghz, 2Gig RAM Mackie Onyx 400F m-audio BX8's, Oxygen 8, Zoom H-4, Alesis Masterlink, Bitstream 3x
http://www.udpmusic.com

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Sun Oct 08, 2006 12:55 am

djsynchro wrote:
Angstrom wrote:I can get a plasma screen TV, right now, for nothing.

Here's the difference: If you steal your neighbours car, he doesn't have a car anymore. If you (for example) copy my music (not that you'd want to haha), I still have my music. You didn't steal it, you copied it. It's a big difference.

There may be a law against you doing so but hey... in the privacy of your own home you can do what you want... Now here's the cool thing: People buy the software anyway, because they love it and they think it's reasonable that Ableton should get some money for their work.

:D
Yes, I know the difference between intellectual theft and physical theft - but the morality is common to both you see !

But then morality is different from person to person, it's whatever you are happy with that makes you do what you do. I do a lot of things that other people would find immoral .

psilopsyche

Post by psilopsyche » Sun Oct 08, 2006 1:19 am

udp wrote:philopsyche, with the boxed version you should have been able to download Live 6 right away and start using it. There would have been a serial number in the e-mail thanking you for your purchase that you would use for the download and the boxed version when it came. Look for that e-mail because it also will have your Sampler and Operator serials.
Thanks, however I purchased Live 6 EDU discount from a distributor online and paid for next day shipping. There was a 1-2 week delay in their EDU shipment, and they sent me a regular direct purchase boxed set instead - Thus Ableton must not have been notified to email me the serial number.