Live Retail vs. Live Pirated (The Difference)

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
FaX-01

Post by FaX-01 » Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:13 am

frankie123 wrote:
psilopsyche wrote:
FaX-01 wrote:
This is not short-sighted. The majority of users that use Live cracked don't make any money using Live, and thus it's senseless for them to pay for it.

Your thought process is crooked. Ableton live is one of the most bang for your buck audio softwares ever produced. Its incredibly cheap for what it is, and you're arguing that unless you make money off of it, you shouldn't pay for it? Thats like saying I should lease a car but not pay for it since its not getting me laid.

Essentially you're saying the software should be by default producing results for its customer, or else the customer will illegally use it. Thats just fucked up thinking.

How on earth did "FAX WROTE " end up in the rest of this thread !!!!!
I ABSOLUTELY NEVER posted that COMMENT PSILOPSYCHE did.
Sorry but I do NOT appreciate having my user name attributed to a VIEW POINT I DO NOT SHARE.
I said what I had to say and left the thread.
So why it looks like I'm being quoted 3 pages later the next day is beyond ME :evil: .
My aren't the wings of butterflies beautiful and do they not make wonderful perturbations.....

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:15 am

Duly noted, Fax.

OK fellas - he's clean. Let him up. :wink:

Poster

Post by Poster » Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:27 am

great reading Allison Redhead !..
exellent points..

forge

Post by forge » Mon Oct 09, 2006 2:40 am

Allison Redhead wrote:Let's talk some facts.

- Allison Redhead (Happily licensed since 5.x).
excellent post!

like I said before, the business sensible way to view pirate users is as potential customers, which I am sure Ableton do.

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Mon Oct 09, 2006 2:05 pm

lola wrote:
This forum is used by crackheads to get a form of support, i saw the topic.
Thinking its lame to.
Its like steeling a DVD recorder from a shop, and asking for a manual the next day, cause it didn't come with it.
i suggest you back to page 1 and read it all again mate, because youre pretty far off.

- fk.

joeyfivecents

Post by joeyfivecents » Mon Oct 09, 2006 2:45 pm

mdb wrote:

I know many guys who use the cracked version even though they purchased the product. Because the copy protection on Ableton really makes *you*, the customer, some kind of child having to answer to daddy. And they don't want to answer to anyone about software they purchased.

Its like buying a car from Ford and after driving it a certain amount of times You have to call ford and ask them if you can drive your car some more. Gotta love the software business. :)
I have to agree with this. Yes, I bought Live 5 and 6 but the fact that I have it on a mac and a windows machine and they won't give me ONE more authorization for the new studio I'm building really fires me up. After all the talk I heard about the Abes giving you another one if you ask nicely; I asked nicely and honestly and got a quick no. The fact that I have to ask after I've spent alot of money with them bothers me. But, it's a great program and I need it so....
iMac, MacBook Pro, Live Suite, Reason, Logic Pro, Melodyne, FL Studio, iConnect Audio4+, Little Martin, ukelele, Greco gtrs, pedalboard, amps, mics .
http://www.soundcloud.com/gradynickel

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Mon Oct 09, 2006 3:08 pm

shouldn't people on the forum be generally helpful to people who are using a crack?

after all, it's just like a demo, and it's such a good way to expand the user base

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:22 am

joeyfivecents wrote:
mdb wrote:

I know many guys who use the cracked version even though they purchased the product. Because the copy protection on Ableton really makes *you*, the customer, some kind of child having to answer to daddy. And they don't want to answer to anyone about software they purchased.

Its like buying a car from Ford and after driving it a certain amount of times You have to call ford and ask them if you can drive your car some more. Gotta love the software business. :)
I have to agree with this. Yes, I bought Live 5 and 6 but the fact that I have it on a mac and a windows machine and they won't give me ONE more authorization for the new studio I'm building really fires me up. After all the talk I heard about the Abes giving you another one if you ask nicely; I asked nicely and honestly and got a quick no. The fact that I have to ask after I've spent alot of money with them bothers me. But, it's a great program and I need it so....
that is quite disturbing, yes.
im planning on getting myself a laptop, and it will propably be a mac, got a stationary pc now.

what will i do what will i do?

- fk.

dodgyedgy

Post by dodgyedgy » Tue Oct 10, 2006 3:18 pm

My 2p.. for what its worth ;)

Ableton users who bought the software are FULLY entitled to an opinion on cracks, no matter what their position.

The cracked versions of the software DO crap out, but the reasons are unclear, although i have to say that the anti piracy method that this UNDENIABLY is rocks hard, even the boys at h20 (now AIR) havnt managed to do it and they spent a LONG time cracking sx3.

I own several copies of the software both for personal and educatyional useage and just like many others i used the cracked versions before i bought. I subscribe to the try before buy scenario. If i like i buy. if i dont i wont.

And as for people using it commercially... you DAMN right they do. I've seen it time and time again both on stage and off.

kronk

Post by kronk » Tue Oct 10, 2006 3:41 pm

friend_kami wrote:
joeyfivecents wrote:
im planning on getting myself a laptop, and it will propably be a mac, got a stationary pc now.

- fk.
just pointing out:
installing live on two computers (that are not used at the same time) won't be a problem at all!

when people say "ask them nicely and they'll give you another unlock" they always talk about other issues (upgraded their hardware, new computer, etc.) but they are still on 2 computers, max. That you cannot install live on more than 2 computers is a fact and this won't change just because you ask them nicely.

but it's also very clear that you CAN install live on 2 computers (as long as you don't have live actually running on both computers at the same time).

So, go ahead, buy your laptop.

STRATEGY_510

Post by STRATEGY_510 » Tue Oct 10, 2006 4:45 pm

FaX-01 wrote:I don't wish to be the proverbial forum ASSHAT but ......
If you used cracked software etc that's your business.
I do however find it offensive that people should discuss the cracked version of product X in product X's own company official user supported forum.
Personally I just find it to be in plain bad taste and generally disrepsectful to those that code and create the said product for us.
If it's "out there" it's "out there" and there isn't really much one can do about it.
That said our legal purchase and use of said products helps fund further user enhancements and product development.
Personally I don't appreciate threads of this nature in the Abe's user forum.
A little bit of respect generally goes a long way.
I am far from financially cashed up and have zero intention of using a cracked version no matter how readily available it may or may not be.
I'd love to be using Live 6 now but for the moment that isn't a financial viability.
So I'll keep plugging along with Version5 until I can afford version 6 (well actually Live6 + Sampler + Operator to be exact).
Atleast I know my money will be going to a great bunch of people who generally and genuinely listen to the needs of it's end users.
I also know that purchase will help fund future development of the product for ALL USERS to benefit from.
Threads like this are just plain counterproductive to the longevity and product cycle of the company on many levels.
So perhaps people would like to think first before they post.
Is this thread really needed and is it really warranted in context of a new Live release in the general user forum ?

All these crackheads are lucky to even be able to post here, let alone talk about using cracks.

for the Sony ACID forum, you need to be a registed user just to be able to post at all, whihc is clearly not the case here.

STRATEGY

noisetonepause
Location: Second row from the expensive puddle, under ten others

Post by noisetonepause » Tue Oct 10, 2006 6:18 pm

joeyfivecents wrote:
mdb wrote:

I notice you're in America, so I don't know if this applies to you... but AFAIK EU law takes precedent over Ableton's license agreement and says that you can install the software wherever you want, just like you can make as many backups and photocopies of you CDs and your books as you like for personal use. I don't know (I don't think) that anyone has ever argued this point. The whole software licensing thing is still to the best of my knowledge quite a grey area... Any lawyers here?

-Paws
Suit #1: I mean, have you got any insight as to why a bright boy like this would jeopardize the lives of millions?
Suit #2: No, sir, he says he does this sort of thing for fun.

melocoton

Post by melocoton » Tue Oct 10, 2006 6:26 pm

The anti-pirate witchhunt can get a little silly sometimes. I was accused of stealing Live simply because I forgot to update my sig after the Live 5 beta period and someone thought I was still using an expired beta :roll:

frankie123

Post by frankie123 » Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:49 pm

FaX-01 wrote:
frankie123 wrote:
psilopsyche wrote:
Your thought process is crooked. Ableton live is one of the most bang for your buck audio softwares ever produced. Its incredibly cheap for what it is, and you're arguing that unless you make money off of it, you shouldn't pay for it? Thats like saying I should lease a car but not pay for it since its not getting me laid.

Essentially you're saying the software should be by default producing results for its customer, or else the customer will illegally use it. Thats just fucked up thinking.

How on earth did "FAX WROTE " end up in the rest of this thread !!!!!
I ABSOLUTELY NEVER posted that COMMENT PSILOPSYCHE did.
Sorry but I do NOT appreciate having my user name attributed to a VIEW POINT I DO NOT SHARE.
I said what I had to say and left the thread.
So why it looks like I'm being quoted 3 pages later the next day is beyond ME :evil: .

Sorry for the misquote, though I quoted your misquote, so I wasn't the original offender. :lol:
dual g5 2.3 ghz 2500 megs of ram

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:41 am

kronk wrote:
friend_kami wrote:
joeyfivecents wrote:

- fk.
just pointing out:
installing live on two computers (that are not used at the same time) won't be a problem at all!

when people say "ask them nicely and they'll give you another unlock" they always talk about other issues (upgraded their hardware, new computer, etc.) but they are still on 2 computers, max. That you cannot install live on more than 2 computers is a fact and this won't change just because you ask them nicely.

but it's also very clear that you CAN install live on 2 computers (as long as you don't have live actually running on both computers at the same time).

So, go ahead, buy your laptop.
but...

what if i want to run it on both computers at the same time?
should i purchase another copy of live then?

- fk.