Poll: Did you ever pirate Ableton?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.

Did you ever Pirate Ableton?

Yes. I still use it and have never paid a dime.
3%
Yes. But I've since bought the software.
49%
Yes. But I don't use Ableton anymore.
No votes
No. I bought it. Never had a pirated copy.
46%
No. I don't use Ableton. I just like reading Alex's posts. He's sexy.
2%

Total votes: 284

theque

Post by theque » Mon Oct 09, 2006 4:57 am

got the delta with a soundcard and bought it a few months later

wilxon

Post by wilxon » Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:32 am

I tried the demo of live 4, went through all of the tutorials and everything.

Then i downloaded the crack, bought a faderfox and ran it for about 2 weeks with some serious testing of all features - decided that i loved it and i was not going back to cubase for complete productions.

Then i bought it bundled with another faderfox. (so that i have 2)

It took 2 weeks for me to decide that i liked the program enough to buy it.

Then i bought Live 5,

Now ive bought Live 6.

:lol:

Lo-Fi Massahkah

Post by Lo-Fi Massahkah » Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:10 am

Nope. Nix.

Got the Lite 3 version with some hardware and jumped on the train. Never turned back.

-M

[art]

Post by [art] » Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:26 am

Hi i had a pirate copy of 5. I dig the disclaimer "if you use this software a lot then buy it". Basically it got to a point where i had actually started to work on profesional projects as a sound designer. Live 5 gave me that copy-protection error so essentially all my files where locked away from me . If i was still the bum in his room with a crack of ableton experimenting i couldn't give a shit that it crashed. But, in a way it was kind of a wake-up call to the fact that i was progressing as a sound artist, and i had become a pretty fluent ableton user. With all the dilemmas of losing work, my employer promtly bought it for me. I think thats the best way to get software, get someone else to pay for it.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:32 am

You got me. I only come here to chat with Alex.
He's so dreamy Image

The cryptkeeper of Ableton's mojo :D

mocker

Post by mocker » Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:50 pm

[art] wrote:Hi i had a pirate copy of 5. I dig the disclaimer "if you use this software a lot then buy it". Basically it got to a point where i had actually started to work on profesional projects as a sound designer. Live 5 gave me that copy-protection error so essentially all my files where locked away from me . If i was still the bum in his room with a crack of ableton experimenting i couldn't give a shit that it crashed. But, in a way it was kind of a wake-up call to the fact that i was progressing as a sound artist, and i had become a pretty fluent ableton user. With all the dilemmas of losing work, my employer promtly bought it for me. I think thats the best way to get software, get someone else to pay for it.
:D :D :D

rasputin

"Me too" (groan)

Post by rasputin » Mon Oct 09, 2006 2:52 pm

This poll is cool since it answers the question in my mind that the piracy thread brought up.
I've used Live since 2.03. Looking back, it seems so limited compared to what you can do now: it had no MIDI nor VST support. I'm glad I coughed up for the license then, since the upgrade costs over the years have been manageable.
To go out and plop down US$300 - $400 for a new copy would cause some pain.
As with many others here, now I can't do production without it.
r.

LiveXXX

Post by LiveXXX » Mon Oct 09, 2006 3:01 pm

I mean... this is so stupid especially with Ableon....

FREE DEMO PEOPLE

jeez.
- Oliver Chesler

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Mon Oct 09, 2006 3:21 pm

I used to use cracked software, and gave it all up years ago. You don't have a category for that. If I say I used a cracked copy of Live, then it's a vote for the "try before you buy" ideology of cracked software, and none of the other categories fit either.
Since using cracked software and subsequently deciding that it's simply BS to perpetuate this false attitude that a computer user with an internet connection etc. (basically somebody with some disposable income) is somehow owed other people's hard work.
Sure, people will sometimes buy software they steal, but realistically, I realized that if I didn't toss it all, I would never pay for it all! Period!
It's BS really, every person I know who advocates "try before you buy" is still "trying" at least half the programs on their computer.

The poll doesn't reflect who I am, or the situation with cracked software, at all.

dm_hawk

Post by dm_hawk » Mon Oct 09, 2006 3:26 pm

Willyum wrote:If it were not for the crack I never would have purchased Live....

I now have 3 different version licenses.

I'm sure Ableton would not like anyone to use a crack ever but I'm also sure they know that a large percentage of thier now loyal customers are former crackheads.
+1
..... . . . . . . . . .

psilopsyche

Post by psilopsyche » Mon Oct 09, 2006 3:30 pm

Is it safe to come out yet?
Apple Macbook 1.83 + 2GB RAM | Live 7 Demo

zazamoth

Post by zazamoth » Mon Oct 09, 2006 3:46 pm

I bought mine..never had a crack and heres why

1. any crack i was ever given, caused me problems..it's been about three years since i had anything cracked on a computer..even then i didn't know the damn things were cracked until afterwards.

2. about a year and half ago when I started to get into all this Computer music type stuff..Two of my freinds thought I was all the idiots under the sun for buying a "real version" of Reason.(needless to say they had hacked versions). they went on and on about how much of a twat I was "paying" for somthing like that.

..well a year and a half on, all three of us have had problems with our software..they lost everything ..while i called Propellerhead up..and they fixed my problem..offered me money off of something else and pointed me towards 5000ish free samples ..whos stupid now!!!!!!

..also they smell :wink:
/IEC2/Sonar 8/Reason4/Recycle/kompakt/Battery2/intakt/absynth/pro53/Motu symp/zt3a~ MA ozone~BCF2000

https://www.facebook.com/SeraphSin

leisuremuffin

Post by leisuremuffin » Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:13 pm

i never used a crack.

*however* like i mentioned before, i used live 2 for free for a pretty long time by exploiting a weakness invloving the save dialog on quit. Of course using that workaround eventually led to me buying a copy of live 2 and every susequent upgrade and add on....

.lm.
TimeableFloat ???S?e?n?d?I?n?f?o

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:49 pm

i submited: No. I bought it. Never had a pirated copy

even it was supplied to me. but there ain't any button like that.
however, i know plenty of people, actually all of the ones i know using live started with a pirated copy and ended up buying it.
that said almost all users of all software do that all the time, unless you are in a really big studio / company ]where you ahev to buy strasight away because of taxes and other business reasons] or worked with a major piece of software as an employe. i think that is sort of 'normal' cause demos are not giving you what you really need before you make a purchase like that. i hate demos and never used one, before i was in the situation to be supplied with pretty much all i need, i always used cracks and then bought them, when i thought the product is it worth and was propperly tested by myself.

pirating is not nice, but leads in most cases always to purchase anyway, i see it more as an extended demo time. really.
if an apps is that good that your use of it pays the bills, you will buy, automatically.

just my experience around me.
*** Image GAFM ***

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:51 pm

Interesting results so far.