help with acoustics in my room

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
chymera

help with acoustics in my room

Post by chymera » Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:04 pm

help!

I've just moved to costa rica from Ireland. The problem I have had in setting up my studio is the acoustics in my bedroom. It's a large-ish room and the same size as my previous bedroom back in ireland. My problem lies in the construction of the houses over here... stone or tile floors and solid walls. back in ireland there were carpets on the ground and irish walls are just plasterboard, so there was a nice flat sound in the room, no echoes.. I'm getting massive echo on everything... How exactly can I remedy this... I tried putting a rug on the floor and it didn't work. Do I need to put fabric up on the walls?? Has anyone had a similar experience due to the construction of their room?

thanks
bren

Spikee

Post by Spikee » Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:11 pm

I would look at using either carpet, egg crates or blankets if getting some slabs of Aurelex proofing is out of the question.

jesso

Post by jesso » Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:44 pm

id say those office divider type things with sound deadining materials stuck on... unless you can create a dead sound zone, your fighting a loosing battle. If the room is big, youll end up having to deaden a lot of space, so trying to make the space smaller that you have to deaden is a good bet.
what are you doing in costa rica? im in dunleary myself....

chymera

Post by chymera » Sat Oct 14, 2006 3:39 pm

I may have a solution. As I was getting dressed in my walk-in closet (wow... another commodity here) I noticed how flat the sound was in there, due to the clothes and wooden shelfs. There's just about enough room to manouveure so if I can get a table or desk the right size, I'm moving the studio in there...

jesso: working over here for a year... dun leary? you mean dun laoighaire ? :wink: Nice place!

wilxon

Post by wilxon » Sat Oct 14, 2006 3:50 pm

Try looking at this article, basically tells you how to use rockwool slabs to improve your room acoustics, a relativly cheap way to go.

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/aug06/a ... s_0806.htm

Also a carpet is nessesary

If you cant read this article PM me and ill send it too you - it may be for subscribers only.