[OT] Any vegans here?

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
missjade

[OT] Any vegans here?

Post by missjade » Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:56 pm

hey guys,

so i've recently decided to go vegetarian & it's been a little bit of an adjustment for me, but i feel really strongly about it and i don't have any doubts about my decision. i'm considering going vegan as well, but i'm trying to make the transition slowly..

i just want to know if anyone here has done this & if it was really hard to adapt to that lifestyle..any advice/warnings/moral support welcome... thanks :D

The Phat Conductor

Post by The Phat Conductor » Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:03 pm

its actually really easy.

i tried it on a bet for 2 months and couldn't go back after the difference it made in my health. i can't believe all the crap i used to eat. i don't even consider it food anymore.

i hope you like to cook though.
ill gates aka the phat conductor
producer, performer + ableton/music teacher

http://www.illgates.com

Spiralgroove

Post by Spiralgroove » Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:06 pm

im vegetarian by proxy, i only eat the meat of herbivores

djadonis206

Re: [OT] Any vegans here?

Post by djadonis206 » Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:07 pm

missjade wrote:hey guys,

so i've recently decided to go vegetarian & it's been a little bit of an adjustment for me, but i feel really strongly about it and i don't have any doubts about my decision. i'm considering going vegan as well, but i'm trying to make the transition slowly..

i just want to know if anyone here has done this & if it was really hard to adapt to that lifestyle..any advice/warnings/moral support welcome... thanks :D
ahh damn - i was gonna say we should roll back down to Stellas and get a MEAT LOVERS PIZZA

:cry:

damn yo...
Ableton | Elektron

Music

The Phat Conductor

Post by The Phat Conductor » Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:09 pm

Spiralgroove wrote:im vegetarian by proxy, i only eat the meat of herbivores
i'm a vagitarian ;)
ill gates aka the phat conductor
producer, performer + ableton/music teacher

http://www.illgates.com

Spiralgroove

Post by Spiralgroove » Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:09 pm

touche!!!

:lol:

frankie123

Post by frankie123 » Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:12 pm

The Phat Conductor wrote:its actually really easy.

i tried it on a bet for 2 months and couldn't go back after the difference it made in my health. i can't believe all the crap i used to eat. i don't even consider it food anymore.

i hope you like to cook though.
Its a common misconception that going vegan is the healthiest way to eat. You can eat meat, it just has to be lean meat, and mostly chicken. Not to mention if you're active in any sport a vegan diet isnt that great and doesn't provide all the high quality protein needed to perform.
dual g5 2.3 ghz 2500 megs of ram

steve-o

Re: [OT] Any vegans here?

Post by steve-o » Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:18 pm

missjade wrote:hey guys,

I was a vegan for two years. Now I eat fish, no dairy and very little eggs. My decision to go vegetarian was ethical, and vegan, more health-centric rather than. I started eating fish again because my friend, a very well known vegan alternative doctor in the LA area explained to me that some people need animal protein, I'm one of those, and fish is the best source of animal protein.

Being a vegan is not that hard once your body gets used to it, and I occassionally go vegan for weeks or months at a time. If you serious about being vegan, be prepared to be a bit anti social, and experience some personality changes. Its dificult to explain, but veganism may have a tendency to create what i would best describe as a nervous mentality, as opposed to laid back, in some people (those people - I'm one of those - should eat a little animal protein every now and then to ground themselves). In my experience, all the cons of veganism tend to arise in people who have had a high meat based diet all there lives. Those that didn't don't have much of a transition, apart from social limitations.

Depending on your past, you might go through some heavy detox - I did. Lots of boils on my back and extremely sensitive skin - thats toxins coming out! Very unpleasant. But, eventually all the problems went away. And now everybody thinks I'm in my early twenties when in fact I'm pushing 30 (in two months).

I am a proponent of balance - in life, in diet, whatever. In the begininng experiment - start by eliminating foods one by one. Eventually you'll find out what works for you and what doesn't. Slowly reintegrate until you find whats right for you.

If your primary motivation is ethical, remember to also do whats good for yourself. If your experiencing health problems being vegan - and I'm not saying you will - consult a nutrionist. However I would give it a few months to see what changes happen.

Going vegan will have some tremendous advantages. You will be eating lots of vitamins and minerals, as well as fiber. Your body will become more alkaline and thus more robust against disease (vegan macrobiotic and raw diets are used for cancer therapy in case you didn't know). PM me if you have anymore questions.

also check out www.21daydetox.com

Patch

Post by Patch » Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:22 pm

I was on the Atkins diet for 2 years. The weight fell off me and I felt great. Prior to that I had eaten (for years and years) a very high Carbohydrate, low fat diet. I could not believe the difference eating a restricted carb diet made. It really made me feel fantastic.

I think my point is - when you make a drastic change (ie - no meat/no carbs/veggy/vegan) your body reacts in a way that you have not felt before, and it DOES make you feel great.

Try as I might, I cannot get back into the low carb habit that made me feel soooo good. I guess after a while your body just adjusts.

mike holiday

Post by mike holiday » Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:24 pm

frankie123 wrote: Its a common misconception that going vegan is the healthiest way to eat. You can eat meat, it just has to be lean meat, and mostly chicken. Not to mention if you're active in any sport a vegan diet isnt that great and doesn't provide all the high quality protein needed to perform.
B.S.

some people dont eat animals in order to lead a less wasteful life .. not just health reasons.. lean meat is still wasteful!!

there are many other sources of protein, veggies and vegans are facing the same plate as far as protein is concerned

i'v been veggie (not vegan tho) for over 14 years and lead an athletic life and feel great, with lots of energy.

good luck to you!
dual 1.8 G4 10.4.9 w/768 ram & A&H xone 3D

"I ain't often right but I've never been wrong"

frankie123

Post by frankie123 » Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:28 pm

mike holiday wrote:
frankie123 wrote: Its a common misconception that going vegan is the healthiest way to eat. You can eat meat, it just has to be lean meat, and mostly chicken. Not to mention if you're active in any sport a vegan diet isnt that great and doesn't provide all the high quality protein needed to perform.
B.S.

some people dont eat animals in order to lead a less wasteful life .. not just health reasons.. lean meat is still wasteful!!

there are many other sources of protein, veggies and vegans are facing the same plate as far as protein is concerned

i'v been veggie (not vegan tho) for over 14 years and lead an athletic life and feel great, with lots of energy.

good luck to you!
Dude, vegan protein has been proven to be of lower quality then REAL protein. It may be a CLEAN way of eating, but the fact is meat has been proven to be better protein for top athletes. For building muscle vegan dieting does not come even CLOSE to meat.

cosmosuave

Post by cosmosuave » Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:30 pm

Gatta have my burgers...

MD SPS-1 DARKENERGY JX-3P (PG200) Mbase01
http://soundcloud.com/cosmosuave
http://www.cosmosuave.com/

frankie123

Post by frankie123 » Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:36 pm

cosmosuave wrote:Gatta have my burgers...

Damn straight, always cracks me up when some squirrel neck vegans got to talk out of there asses. :lol:

Kodama

Post by Kodama » Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:46 pm

Been veg for 11+ years, vegan for 1+.

A good saying -"First we kill them, then they kill us".

Meat is the #1 cause of premature death, at almost twice the rate in African Americans.

Carl Lewis on eating vegan:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 6519516434

The more you examine the topic, the more you cannot get away from the fact that meat is wrong on every level, for your body, the animals, human rights, and the planet.

It's not natural and the whole process from animal to your bathroom is just disgusting.

All that's left is "but I like meat", which is much akin to "I love the benefits of slavery".

Read up and you will be surprised!

8O
GO VEGAN!!! - Macbook Air, Bass Station II, Some Korg shit, Live Suite, U-He, Audio Damage, Microtonic, Ohmicide, more soft stuffs, awesome controllers, euro rack modular synth,an awesome cat.

Kodama

Post by Kodama » Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:50 pm

Oh, and back on topic, yes, due to the non-shite foods all around us, going veg to vegan is an adjustment, but if you do it right and eat the right foods, it gets you more in the mindset of eating properly and is actually beneficial.

Just don't be an oreo/processed food vegan, eat healthy!

Get some good cook books like "How It All Vegan"
GO VEGAN!!! - Macbook Air, Bass Station II, Some Korg shit, Live Suite, U-He, Audio Damage, Microtonic, Ohmicide, more soft stuffs, awesome controllers, euro rack modular synth,an awesome cat.