pc laptop...advice.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
braunm

pc laptop...advice.

Post by braunm » Wed Oct 01, 2003 4:46 pm

hey, having read the posts on this board i've realized that it isn't essentail to have a mac. i'm already familiar with a pc, so i'm leaning towards that option now...any advice on a solid pc, i've heard people mentioning the thinkpad and the vaio, which of the two is better for using live? ANY advice is greatly appreciated...thanks.

mason.

bioroid

Post by bioroid » Fri Oct 03, 2003 1:57 am

I looked at sony some vaio and toshiba p25 and i went with the toshiba for raw power.

http://www.costco.com/frameset.asp?trg= ... 34434&log=

its a costco only model and it rocks. i had to turn off hyperthreading because cubase sx did not like it. but still so much raw power..RRRAAARRR!

bioroid

Post by Guest » Fri Oct 03, 2003 2:11 am

I've got a toshiba satelite 2430 that i love. Sonys have better onboard sound, but you probably want an external soundcard anyway. IBM's are proportedly the most solid build and highest quality, sonys and toshibas are also good. I'd say those are the top three big name reliable pc brands--get your best bang for buck on one of those three brands and you'll be a happy camper. PC's are great with live, I gig with my toshiba and Live + Reason weekly with nothing but good times, no problems at all.

Ryan

FORMAT

Post by FORMAT » Mon Oct 06, 2003 8:59 am

If I were to buy a PC laptop I'd definitely get a Sony, one with 16" screen.... but as I've dished out big bucks for a TiBook, I won't be able to do so .... :cry:

Sony reportedly have bad customer support though....

Post by Guest » Mon Oct 06, 2003 1:40 pm

I went for a toshiba 2.8 GHz 528 MB DDR Ram - very, very powerful machine. It will handle all your audio software needs.

;-)

gaspode

check out...

Post by gaspode » Tue Oct 07, 2003 2:04 am

the toshiba s607/s609 too... massive proc, hd, ram... plus a widescreen 17" screen to boot... now *that* would give you plenty of room for tracks in live :P