most STABLE audio interface

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Harmonic Canon

Post by Harmonic Canon » Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:48 pm

I'm looking upgrade my audio interface to either a motu828mk3 or Steinberg MR816 CSX for the quality (and multiple I/O which has been a real limitation on my Audio Kontrol 1)

Anyone have experience of the steinberg MR816?

Macrostructure

Post by Macrostructure » Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:09 pm

timothyallan wrote:Yep, I have the 828Mkii and it is very, very solid.

To summarize:

USB2 bad.

Firewire better.
Firewire has lots of performance advantages over USB2 but to say that USB2 is bad is simply misleading and unhelpful to the OP. At the intensity suggested by their post they could almost use USB1.1 with no difficulty! I note that the key point of the OP i.e. STABILITY - is NOT one of the key differences!

There is a good technical summary of those differences here:
http://newsgroups.derkeiler.com/pdf/Arc ... g00790.pdf

I myself have used a lot of different interfaces over the years and have had more stability problems with the Firewire ones than anything else. OK they weren't high end, but they were Firewire.

Manufacturers: There's no doubt that RME and MOTU make good interfaces, but so do lots of other companies e.g. Focusrite, Echo and Edirol. There was a thread on here recently in which Ableton tech support described having extensive problems with faults in RME drivers that took ages to resolve. So even the mighty RME can mess up.

My most stable interfaces have been Echo Indigo (PCMCIA) and Edirol UA101 (USB2). The latter I can run at rediculously low latencies, 6ms, without dropout, on a 1.7Ghz single core Vaio (a PC!) with 1Gb RAM. Just goes to show.

Here is how to run a mid-price soundcard at super low latency without problems: don't spend $1000 on a new interface, spend less replacing all your cracked plugs and instruments with legitimate versions. Then stand back and listen to how all those stability problems, clicks and pops simply disappear and your latency goes down and down. It really is quite a revelation. And it doesn't matter a damn if it's Firewire or USB2.
Last edited by Macrostructure on Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Chang

Post by Chang » Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:18 pm

Rule of thumb from what I've seen for rock solid stability is
MOTU - Mac
RME - PC

j2j

Post by j2j » Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:55 pm

Macrostructure wrote:Here is how to run a mid-price soundcard at super low latency without problems: don't spend $1000 on a new interface, spend less replacing all your cracked plugs and instruments with legitimate versions. Then stand back and listen to how all those stability problems, clicks and pops simply disappear and your latency goes down and down. It really is quite a revelation. And it doesn't matter a damn if it's Firewire or USB2.
Erm...

I'm using 100% legal software. I get clicks, and pops. There is something to be said for high priced interfaces. I'd really like to spend a grand this year, on a new interface...
too many lasers...

ResonanceMan

Post by ResonanceMan » Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:18 pm

i have a motu 828 original. SOLID. never an error. smooth as glass.

plus, $200 is cheap, you can get 2 - 3 of them and daisy chain them.

xh9o

Post by xh9o » Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:21 pm

Macrostructure wrote:Here is how to run a mid-price soundcard at super low latency without problems: replacing all your cracked plugs and instruments with legitimate versions. clicks and pops simply disappear and your latency goes down and down.

what a silly bull of shite.
-

feel her fountain....
she dies.

live7 battery synthlite2 matrix1000 synplant operator moogfilter transverb lofi retrodelay

FORMAT

Post by FORMAT » Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:35 pm

The Motu Traveler is the most stable piece of hardware I've used so far. Simply works all the time. I used to have a 828, also very good and reliable.

aqua_tek

Post by aqua_tek » Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:43 pm

Chang wrote:Rule of thumb from what I've seen for rock solid stability is
MOTU - Mac
RME - PC
Never heard of stability problems between RME and Macs. I have a Fireface 800 and it's always worked perfectly fine.

MOTU however was notoriously bad with PC's. at least a few years ago. Don't know about now.

Oh... and my ONLY gripe with the Fireface is the lack of a control room volume knob. Why? :cry:

Chang

Post by Chang » Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:00 pm

aqua_tek wrote:
MOTU - Mac
RME - PC
Never heard of stability problems between RME and Macs. I have a Fireface 800 and it's always worked perfectly fine.

MOTU however was notoriously bad with PC's. at least a few years ago. Don't know about now.

Oh... and my ONLY gripe with the Fireface is the lack of a control room volume knob. Why? :cry:

Yes, I think those stability issues with RME and Mac was older and was the RME HDSP series, not Fireface series. I've never heard of 800 problem with Mac either.

Macrostructure

Post by Macrostructure » Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:48 am

j2j wrote:
Macrostructure wrote:Here is how to run a mid-price soundcard at super low latency without problems: don't spend $1000 on a new interface, spend less replacing all your cracked plugs and instruments with legitimate versions. Then stand back and listen to how all those stability problems, clicks and pops simply disappear and your latency goes down and down. It really is quite a revelation. And it doesn't matter a damn if it's Firewire or USB2.
Erm...

I'm using 100% legal software. I get clicks, and pops. There is something to be said for high priced interfaces. I'd really like to spend a grand this year, on a new interface...
there is something to be said for good interfaces for sure :)
Last edited by Macrostructure on Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

ekwipt

Post by ekwipt » Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:48 am

MOTU - Mac
RME - PC
RME - mac/PC (I have a pc laptop and macpro and i've tried with a friends MBP as well)

Macrostructure

Post by Macrostructure » Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:56 am

xh9o wrote:
Macrostructure wrote:Here is how to run a mid-price soundcard at super low latency without problems: replacing all your cracked plugs and instruments with legitimate versions. clicks and pops simply disappear and your latency goes down and down.
I think you may have taken me a little too literally :)

Getting rid of illegal software from your system reduces instability and audio dropouts, generally enabling lower latencies and better audio performance, including on cheaper interfaces.

Happy?

adventurepants_

Post by adventurepants_ » Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:17 am

Macrostructure wrote:
xh9o wrote:

Getting rid of illegal software from your system reduces instability and audio dropouts, generally enabling lower latencies and better audio performance, including on cheaper interfaces.

Happy?
now its just better written bull of shite.
nathannn wrote:i will block everyone on this forum if i have to.

Macrostructure

Post by Macrostructure » Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:33 am

adventurepants_ wrote:
Macrostructure wrote:
xh9o wrote: what a silly bull of shite.

Happy?
now its just better written bull of shite.
xh9o, Adventurepants

My own direct experience was otherwise. I followed the advice of another poster on this forum, Ewistrand, on this subject and did as I have described above in this thread. I was surprised to find the results are also as I have described - greater stability and better system performance. These are the facts.

I take it you use cracked software, have system stability/performance problems, tried removing all your cracked programs but in contrast to me still had exactly the same issues afterwards? That's a shame. Perhaps your computer has become sentient in some way and is expressing an objection to your bad manners? :?

xh9o

Post by xh9o » Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:40 am

Macrostructure wrote:Getting rid of illegal software from your system reduces instability and audio dropouts, generally enabling lower latencies and better audio performance, including on cheaper interfaces.
god....

i used 100% stolen software while ago when starting that music thing and never had any more issues than i have now with a nearly completely legal setup (means: none). most pirate releases just enter a serial same way like you do when you buy the product, there is no difference in the code at all. just go with the reliable cracks and you will be "happy".

Perhaps your computer has become sentient in some way and is expressing an objection to your bad manners?
yeah its a filthy little bastard which should live up from some decent punishment. :roll: tbh you sound like a pervert television advertisment priest.
-

feel her fountain....
she dies.

live7 battery synthlite2 matrix1000 synplant operator moogfilter transverb lofi retrodelay